Did Anyone Expect it to be THIS Bad?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just think about how much money Schoop is costing himself! He might not get any offers when he becomes a FA after 2019 season. There is a chance that Mancini, Tillman, Gentry, Sisco, could all be left off of major league rosters next year. 

Even if none of them care about the 2018 Orioles, a lot of players are playing themselves out of a lot of money, or a roster spot on a MLB team with their performances.  

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

-Rasmus. Club did not want to invest into a big deal to fill RF which made sense. They also needed someone to fill the spot that could be steady. Instead he gets hurt 10 days in and eventually retires. Exposes Santander.

Markakis has been gone for four years and the Orioles still have not found his replacement.  

Absolutely pathetic.  

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Perfect storm happened. 

Off season decisions

-Switching Manny and Beckham positions. Flop. Not much more to say.

-Rasmus. Club did not want to invest into a big deal to fill RF which made sense. They also needed someone to fill the spot that could be steady. Instead he gets hurt 10 days in and eventually retires. Exposes Santander.

-Lack of utility INF. Both Schoop and Beckham get hurt and really no one adaquate to replace them. 

-Tillman. Going into season thinking he could actually pitch. Flop.

- 3, Rule 5 players on Opening Day roster. 

Underperformance

-Cobb

-Schoop

-Davis

-Beckham 

-Mancini

-Brach 

- Givens 

Even if you weren’t high on some of these guys it is hard to imagine this group, none of which are really past their prime- except Davis- being this bad. Even Davis being this awful.

Circumstances/Dysfunction

-I am grouping these two here. GM and Manager last year of deals. Best player last year of deal, team leader last year of deal. Owners sons taking on more of a role. No one knows who is in charge. 

We basically have everything coming to a head at once. Owner is older, health issues and sons taking on more of a role. The players themselves knew this was their last run. The season gets away early and everyone is just waiting around for something to happen. 

Injuries/Schedule 

Britton

Trumbo 

Schoop

Beckham 

O’Day 

Early on the schedule was rough and the team just wasn’t playing well. They were out of contention by mid April.  

Summary 

Pretty much everything has gone wrong. The schedule is what it is. If you are playing well you can manage it. The club has had some injuries but nothing other teams don’t deal with. 

I think things are so bad because an already flawed roster has had massive underperformance and the circumstances surrounding the team. They knew this was their last shot. It’s would be like a business where  the employees are told they will still have jobs but some of them will be transferred. I find it hard to believe it would be this bad if the circumstances were different. What a mess.  

The  bottom line is that they have cheap ass ownership unwilling to hire a quality GM and let him build a true contender.  This team had zero chance of a shot at anything, even if everyone performed as expected.  They'd have been .500 at best.  As long as Angelos and his family are associated with the team, you can forget it.

4 minutes ago, AndresMora said:

I knew they'd stink but didn't think it would be quite this horrific.  They're on a 44-118 pace with Manny in the lineup.  Imagine them without him.  We may be looking at historic ineptitude.

I don't know that we will be worse with Manny out of the lineup.  Logic would say we would, but I remember the 2001 Mariners lost ARod and Buhner from the prior season and got 25 games better.  Now, Ichiro had a lot to do with it.  But sometimes, even when you lose your best player, the other guys rally.

I have said it a million times, but I think this Os team has simply quit.  There is no fight in this team and no confidence that they can win a game.  This is not a 118 loss roster.  It isn't even a 98 loss roster.  They have quit.  Reminds me a lot of the 2010 team.....32-73 and white flags all around.  Suddenly Buck comes in and goes 34-23 with the same players. 

During the Braves game yesterday, Inciarte hit a pop fly to short left and didn't run out of the box.  The ball fell in and instead of being at second, he was at first.  Albies hit a single up the middle and Inciarte went to third.  Freeman then hit a DP and Inciarte never scored.  Snitker benched him for the rest of the game.  Loved that move.  Accountability.  On our team, there is none.  And that comes from the manager. 

No, I sure didn't.  I honestly expected this team, with the signings of Cashner and Cobb, to be at least around .500, and maybe even be a serious contender for a WC spot.

Oooooooof.  *insert embarassed smily or gif here*

Never saw this coming, the complete ineptitude of Davis, and the horrible performances of guys like Schoop and Beckham, Trumbo being out almost the entire 1st half, Mancini being up and down, etc.  It's just been a perfect storm of suckage the blew all four wheels off at once, and once the snowball got started downhill, it just seems like the players knew the party was over and it got bigger and bigger with no stopping it.  Everyone knew 2018 was going to be it for key players like Machado, Jones, Britton, Brach, etc., so when April went as bad as it did, midnight struck, and the party was over.

1 hour ago, AndresMora said:

The  bottom line is that they have cheap ass ownership unwilling to hire a quality GM and let him build a true contender.  This team had zero chance of a shot at anything, even if everyone performed as expected.  They'd have been .500 at best.  As long as Angelos and his family are associated with the team, you can forget it.

You can say a lot of things about Angelos, but with the payroll this team has had over the last 3-4 years, I don't know how you can call him cheap.  I'd like to see him put more money into scouting, development, and the international market, sure, but again, look at the payroll over the last few years.  He's not cheap.  Dysfunctional?  Mismanaged?  Sure.  But not cheap.

5 minutes ago, esmd said:

You can say a lot of things about Angelos, but with the payroll this team has had over the last 3-4 years, I don't know how you can call him cheap.  I'd like to see him put more money into scouting, development, and the international market, sure, but again, look at the payroll over the last few years.  He's not cheap.  Dysfunctional?  Mismanaged?  Sure.  But not cheap.

Angelos is not cheap.  Probably better to say that he does not spend his money wisely.  This could also be due to poor advice. 

21 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

Angelos is not cheap.  Probably better to say that he does not spend his money wisely.  This could also be due to poor advice. 

Or, thinking he knows better than the people he’s hired to make baseball decisions.

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

Or, thinking he knows better than the people he’s hired to make baseball decisions.

Actually I think he's followed through on advice, but from the wrong individuals. He's also been prone to making sentimental decisions.

Archived