Did Anyone Expect it to be THIS Bad?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody in their right mind should ever expect a professional baseball team to play .270 baseball through 89 games.  After today, they are barely on pace to win 44 games.  44-118.  Look at the roster and let that sink in. 

They have quit on the fans and on themselves.  All of them. 

5 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I'm not ranting. Serious question. Did anyone expect this?

I'm going to go out on a huge limb and say no, no one expected a 42 win club.

And yes, this feels like a rant because the question is just ridiculous.  There are very few teams in ML history that were as bad as the Orioles are on pace to be.  Now one reasonably expected teams like the Royals, White Sox or Marlins to lose 120 and they were all actively tanking.  It just isn't easy to do.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm going to go out on a huge limb and say no, no one expected a 42 win club.

And yes, this feels like a rant because the question is just ridiculous.  There are very few teams in ML history that were as bad as the Orioles are on pace to be.  Now one reasonably expected teams like the Royals, White Sox or Marlins to lose 120 and they were all actively tanking.  It just isn't easy to do.

Exactly.  It isn't easy for a team with a bunch of AAA scrubs to do.  Teams that legitimately try to tank have terrible, no-name rosters and they lose 105 - 110 games at worst.  The only way a roster like ours loses like this is if they have quit.  There is no other explanation. 

19 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I'm not ranting. Serious question. Did anyone expect this?

Serious question.  Do you think there aren't already a half-dozen active threads for exactly this purpose?

1 minute ago, Old#5fan said:

I am wondering how on God’s green earth Buck Showalter hasn’t lost his mind by now or gets out of bed to go to the ballpark each day!!

His paycheck gets him out of bed each day.  I am wondering how he still has a job. 

31 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I never would have dreamt this. Almost the entire team is below their career averages. Really surprising to me.

I don't think anyone expected things to be nearly THIS bad. I think most people (outside of those with thick orange and black glasses on) realized that we would not be playoff contenders and would be very fortunate to even flirt with .500 (much less get there). That said, I went into the season expecting about 70 wins (give or take 3-4). I figured there was a possibility that we could even lose 100 if we had some injuries..... I certainly didn't expect to be wondering in mid-July whether or not we can get to 50 wins (and at this point, I'm thinking 50 wins is a stretch). 

Archived