Congratulations to Dan and the front office for pulling off the Manny trade

Diehard_O's_Fan

The process was much better than I ever thought it would be. I had real doubts we'd get there.

I don't know who deserves the credit, so :clap: to everyone in the organization. Let's hope it's just the start of a new era of facing reality and trying to do something about it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, GoldGlove21 said:

You are forced to trade him because you couldn't extend him. What is all the praise for?

I'm pretty sure we all know that. We're reacting to the deal knowing the situation that the team finds itself in TODAY. 

8 hours ago, GoldGlove21 said:

You are forced to trade him because you couldn't extend him. What is all the praise for?

Are you of the mindset that they should have just kept upping the offer until Manny said yes?

How high would you have gone?

If a player doesn't want to extend you can't make them.

8 hours ago, barellano said:

I'm pretty sure we all know that. We're reacting to the deal knowing the situation that the team finds itself in TODAY. 

Exactly. Unless you're hoarding a time machine that the rest of us don't know about, I'll take this trade as making the best of a bad situation.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you of the mindset that they should have just kept upping the offer until Manny said yes?

How high would you have gone?

If a player doesn't want to extend you can't make them.

I’m certainly not in favor of giving him an A-Rod contract that cripples the team, but I 100% blame the FO/Angelos for allowing us to get in this position in the first place.

With a player of Manny’s caliber, they should have set a deadline 2-3 seasons ago where they either lock him up long term or trade him to maximize the return.

Absolutely ridiculous that they dwindled his value down to rental player status. Even in “win now” mode, the return from a player like Manny in his prime would have gotten you some MLB ready top prospects.

For a guy that usually has wise posts, this statement seems out of character. Extensions are a two way street. IMO, I have never seen MM as a small to mid market player. Baltimore was just a holding pen to bigger and better places. His idol was (is) ARod. I remember a post here when Manny first came up...he was earning the base salary and stated his wife was not happy about that when he clearly better than players making many times more.

3 minutes ago, utvolzac said:

I’m certainly not in favor of giving him an A-Rod contract that cripples the team, but I 100% blame the FO/Angelos for allowing us to get in this position in the first place.

With a player of Manny’s caliber, they should have set a deadline 2-3 seasons ago where they either lock him up long term or trade him to maximize the return.

Absolutely ridiculous that they dwindled his value down to rental player status. Even in “win now” mode, the return from a player like Manny in his prime would have gotten you some MLB ready top prospects.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that.

I'm in favor of locking guys up when they are still making the minimum.

3 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

For a guy that usually has wise posts, this statement seems out of character. Extensions are a two way street. IMO, I have never seen MM as a small to mid market player. Baltimore was just a holding pen to bigger and better places. His idol was (is) ARod. I remember a post here when Manny first came up...he was earning the base salary and stated his wife was not happy about that when he clearly better than players making many times more.

I don't recall hearing this.   Do you have evidence for this?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not disagreeing with any of that.

I'm in favor of locking guys up when they are still making the minimum.

100% agree. It wreaks of lawyer Angelos to try a squeeze out every Arb year instead of using those Arbitration years as leverage to lock up your key guys long term.

I thought for sure PGA/John/Lou and lord knows who else would scuttle the deal outright, or needlessly drag it out into the weekend and possible even beyond.  Color me surprised.  They can actually make a big trade that needed to get made.  Nevermind that it was 6-12 months later than it should've been, but c'est la vie.  Now go make about 4-5 more trades with the obvious candidates in the 12 days.

5 hours ago, Natty said:

I would not congratulate anyone for losing one of the best players we ever had.

Its a two way street.  Manny can say whatever he wants to the press, but the fact is he is a cocky young athlete who never had ANY intentions of signing here long term.  This is not Brooks or Cal or Palmer.  Manny is in it for Manny.  So yeah, the organization shares some blame for not trying really really hard to lock him up earlier, but, I am of the opinion he was never going to sign long term here.

The other point that people keep making is that we should have traded him last year, or two years ago.  I cannot disagree more.  The Orioles were a contending ball club up until September 1, 2017.  If I was the GM I would have hung onto him as well and went for it while we had this window.  

Shoot me.  Tell me I'm an Orioles homer or an Angelos apologist, but I think this all went down about as well as could be expected.  

Archived