Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/16/2018 at 5:27 PM, atomic said:

I am not even upset.  Marlins outsmarted the Orioles.  All we can hope for is new GM is smarter and had authority the club.

Outsmarted?  As much as I think it sucks that the Orioles apparently won't get the Mesa brothers, that was the result of a hugely sub-optimal play by the Marlins to accumulate extra bonus pool money.  I honestly don't see how giving up that many prospects for the right to pay the Mesa brothers helps their overall bottom line.  If the Orioles gave up half their AA roster to acquire the extra bonus pool money, I would probably be livid.  Furthermore, it remains to be seen whether the Orioles will whiff on all three. I'm new to economics and finance, but I do believe that there would be more overall money available to them if they allowed the players to sign with 2 different teams.  I would have to believe that there is an under-the-table agreement between this buscon and the Marlins if they managed to snag all three, and I would call on MLB to investigate.  (Not that they'd listen, Manfred hates the O's.)

On 10/17/2018 at 9:30 PM, LA2 said:

That was sort of stupid, right?

This is a joke. We gave up that amount of money to a guy who the Phillies may have cut. And this comes at a time when we are pursuing a couple of guys. I just don't understand it. It is almost like DD this on his way out just to screw Angelos.

9 hours ago, Hallas said:

Outsmarted?  As much as I think it sucks that the Orioles apparently won't get the Mesa brothers, that was the result of a hugely sub-optimal play by the Marlins to accumulate extra bonus pool money.  I honestly don't see how giving up that many prospects for the right to pay the Mesa brothers helps their overall bottom line.  If the Orioles gave up half their AA roster to acquire the extra bonus pool money, I would probably be livid.  Furthermore, it remains to be seen whether the Orioles will whiff on all three. I'm new to economics and finance, but I do believe that there would be more overall money available to them if they allowed the players to sign with 2 different teams.  I would have to believe that there is an under-the-table agreement between this buscon and the Marlins if they managed to snag all three, and I would call on MLB to investigate.  (Not that they'd listen, Manfred hates the O's.)

I am guessing you haven't a clue as to whom the Marlins have given up.  The last two guys traded where a 17 and 19 year old playing in the Domincan.  They gave up a guy who struggled in high A at age 22

In the biggest haul of money they traded a reliever who is up for arbitration next year whom they probably didn't want to pay anyway.  The guy was sub-replacement level this year. 

Really if you are going to make a post like you just did you could spend the time to actually see what the Marlins traded. Otherwise you are just wasting everyone's time reading your post. 

10 minutes ago, atomic said:

Which destroys everyone's theory about how much these guys want to play in Miami over Baltimore.  

It does.

Maybe even a 3rd thing here.

The guys dont want to play for either and want to play for a contender and they are stalling, trying to get another buyer into the market.

55 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

IMO

The guys have an agent that is stalling to get them the most money possible.

Their agent has been brilliant playing the team that almost has to win to save face(Orioles) against the team with new ownership who needs to make a move to make up for gutting their MLB squad(MIA). I can't believe Mesa is going to end up getting  top 5 draft pick money.That's pretty crazy.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

I am guessing you haven't a clue as to whom the Marlins have given up.  The last two guys traded where a 17 and 19 year old playing in the Domincan.  They gave up a guy who struggled in high A at age 22

In the biggest haul of money they traded a reliever who is up for arbitration next year whom they probably didn't want to pay anyway.  The guy was sub-replacement level this year. 

Really if you are going to make a post like you just did you could spend the time to actually see what the Marlins traded. Otherwise you are just wasting everyone's time reading your post. 

Im aware that they probably aren't anything special.  But warm bodies have value too, and they paid that price for the right to spend a lot of money, and the promise that it will be enough to get the Mesa brothers/Gaston to sign a contract.  And the younger ones they traded could conceivably turn into prospects.  That said, maybe the Marlins have some guarantees in place with the buscon, I don't know.  That would make sense.

As a general comment, I think it's really hard to place a value on IFA allotments, because you have no idea what you'll end up with at the end of the day.  Maybe you end up with VVM.  Maybe you end up with egg on your face.  Imagine if VVM signs with the Orioles and the Marlins get no one.  How would the Marlins look then?  Not that it's likely, but it illustrates the difficulty in valuing the slot money.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

It does.

Maybe even a 3rd thing here.

The guys dont want to play for either and want to play for a contender and they are stalling, trying to get another buyer into the market.

One of the guys is 16 and another is 17.  If the make the majors one day it is in the distant future. By that time the Orioles and Marlins might be contenders. 

3 hours ago, atomic said:

It is weird how this going on so long.  If these guys were being hyped as superstars of the future it would be frustrating.  Instead is just perplexing.  

Why should the players be in a hurry?    They can take their sweet time and let the teams trade for as much slot money as they’re allowed to get and then play one off against the other.    It’s in their interest to be patient.   

Archived