Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

His horrible K/BB ratio at such a low level will concern Luke IMO.  Also, reports are that he is going to have to move off SS.  He probably lands in the 15-20 range.  I was being a little sensational.  I expect the other three to be outside the top 20.    

That's funny - we said almost the exact same thing at the same time - I said terrible - you said horrible.  Btw, he's already moved to 3B, but he's a nice defensive 3Bman with power tools.    

1 minute ago, Finisher said:

.313 OBP this year in A ball on top 13 BB/100 Ks .. what's not to love.

Yeah, young hitter not walking. That never happens.

Doesn't deny the upside. There's a reason he's highly regarded.

Actually the Orioles agreeing to remove  a top prospect from the deal in exchange for an O'Day salary dump isn't the only possibility here.  Maybe the Orioles really wanted that slot money to sign Mesa away from NYY and MIA, and the Braves weren't willing to offer up a top ten prospect.  In that event, this may have been a creative way to get the deal done, rather than just the Orioles being cheap.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Number5 said:

Actually the Orioles agreeing to remove  a top prospect from the deal in exchange for an O'Day salary dump isn't the only possibility here.  Maybe the Orioles really wanted that slot money to sign Mesa away from NYY and MIA, and the Braves weren't willing to offer up a top ten prospect.  In that event, this may have been a creative way to get the deal done, rather than just the Orioles being cheap.

This is what I’m thinking. Rather than get a slightly better return from ATL, we get a chance to grab a future star in VVM. 

14 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Not long ago MLBpipeline had Glasnow #8  in all of baseball. He’d be in the fangraphs top 20 if he still had prospect status. They got two top 37 level talents in all of baseball, we got 1 top 29 rated prospect in the Braves organization. The entirety of our haul would probably not land Glasnow or Meadows, certainly not both. Schoop coming off a year where he ranked between Quintana and JD Martinez in WAR, combined with Gausman, didn’t come remotely close to netting what Archer did. That surprises me.

Lucas Giolta was also number 3 not long ago and now he stinks in the majors and can’t even throw strikes out of the pen.  Glassnow seems to be heading down that road.  He can get out lower level guys that don’t have the plate discipline in minors but it majors they just lay off it take the walk or wait for him to groove it.

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

Here's a grisly possibility. The desire to shed payroll could have escalated because the owner of the Orioles is near death, and  if he leaves the team to his sons that event will lead to an obligation of his estate to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in federal and state taxes. 

Could be they plan to sell the team.  Doesn't Angelo's have a living wife.   Do you have estate tax when leaving to spouse?   I wouldn't think so. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Maybe in the 15-20 range for JCE.  He's got serious plate discipline issues.  

Cumberland is a 23 year old bat first catcher who spent most of the year hitting .236 at High A.  Just promoted to Double A. 

Sounds like Cumberland may be a future low average DH. There is too much of that around now.

Just now, atomic said:

Could be they plan to sell the team.  Doesn't Angelo's have a living wife.   Do you have estate tax when leaving to spouse?   I wouldn't think so. 

1.  It would be nice if they were getting the team ready for a sale, but it doesn't seem that's what's going on. 

2.  No. A transfer to a spouse defers the tax until the spouse dies. I don't know Georgia Angelos's age or health status.

21 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I would include JCE in our top 25; but not top 20.  Cumberland... about 30.  Zimmerman might be a pleasant surprise - being a lefty starter who dominated high A.  It'll be interesting to see how he does in Bowie. 

I'll agree with those who say if the Atlanta trade nets us VVM, that could make a big difference in how we evaluate the Atl trade, and there's hope in Carmona that he could make a difference in the Schoop trade.  But we pretty much have to depend on those 2 things happening to make today a good day for the future of the O's.  

22 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I would include JCE in our top 25; but not top 20.  Cumberland... about 30.  Zimmerman might be a pleasant surprise - being a lefty starter who dominated high A.  It'll be interesting to see how he does in Bowie. 

I'll agree with those who say if the Atlanta trade nets us VVM, that could make a big difference in how we evaluate the Atl trade, and there's hope in Carmona that he could make a difference in the Schoop trade.  But we pretty much have to depend on those 2 things happening to make today a good day for the future of the O's.  

You'd be wrong then! Encarcion was the Braves number 14 prospect. Their top 9 are all top 100 players. I think he will fall somewhere between 5 and 10.