Orioles IFA Signings Thread

ISU94

Maybe this is a similar signing to recent ones, but the commitment to not just dip our toes into the IFA pool, but to cannon-ball into the middle of the pool is very exciting.  This is a crucial gap that we are closing with the rest of our division.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Maybe this is a similar signing to recent ones, but the commitment to not just dip our toes into the IFA pool, but to cannon-ball into the middle of the pool is very exciting.  This is a crucial gap that we are closing with the rest of our division.

Kind of nuts though. One gets the impression we sent somebody down there with a briefcase of cash and a directive to bring back Victor Victor and whomever else we can find.

• Upvote 1

Just watching this video and one other, here are my thoughts:

Good:
He's a got very projectionable body with some athleticism. He's able to barrel the ball consistently in BP and has some loft to his swing though no strength. I would say there could be some power projection in there, but would want to see more of his game films. Seems to move well enough with decent first step quickness.

Bad:
His arm is what I would call a 30 (Mountcastle arm) at 16. Grant it it can and will get stronger, but right now that's not a professional shortstop arm. His hands aren't great. Grant it the field he was taking grounders on may not be the best, but hands didn't look quick in adjustments to bad bounces. 

Quick snap assessment: I'm guessing this is not an expensive signing. He'll most likely be sent to the DSL for at least one year where it will be interesting to follow him. I would not be surprised to see him transitioned to second base.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

BTW, just so people know, we have a Dominican scouts and sign guys every year. It's not like we just stepped onto the island this week. The difference is we are reportedly now going to be involved in the bigger named guys which will cost significant signing bonuses vs the small time guys we normally sign.

Yeah, I wasn't super impressed with the fielding.  I have seen 14 year olds that looked better at short.   But I also don’t know how big this kid is and how long he has played.  Those 14 year olds have played lots of games. 

It is surprising how many people here seem to think that the Orioles have nothing at all set up in the Dominican. They have had DSL teams for quite a while. They used to have a presence in the old VSL (Venezuelan Summer League). I am sure the Orioles have an idea of who they will be able to sign. They will just be willing and able to sign better and more prospects than before. Hopefully they do not sign as many players that have been released by previous teams as they have before. I would love to see next years DSL team stocked with 16-18 year olds and no 20-22 year olds.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Kind of nuts though. One gets the impression we sent somebody down there with a briefcase of cash and a directive to bring back Victor Victor and whomever else we can find.

I am glad they are signing players from the International Market. Be happy. Seems this organization is turning around. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

BTW, just so people know, we have Dominican scouts and sign guys every year. It's not like we just stepped onto the island this week. The difference is we are reportedly now going to be involved in the bigger named guys which will cost significant signing bonuses vs the small time guys we normally sign.

...but those names are gone for this year/period, except for Mesa and Gaston.  Correct?

...so it's the summer of '19 crop where the Orioles will first really start bringing the money.

There is a lot of quality to be found in the international market for baseball beyond just the top 30 to 50 players that are ranked by some internet site. I do not think that Jonathan Schoop was ranked in the top 50 when he signed with the Orioles. Same with Eduardo Rodriguez. If the Orioles signed more of these type players this year, would you not be happy? I am sure that there are many future Major Leaguers that have yet to be signed that are eligible to be signed during this international signing period. Jean Carlos Encarnacion, who the Orioles just got from the Braves, was signed when he was 18 years old (he could have signed when he was 16). The resources other teams have to spend is very restricted now, where it was not in the past (which makes International spending allotments worth more this year than ever). Therefore, there should still be a good bit of talent left. The Orioles can take a bigger bite of that apple that is left than anybody else can this year.

Edited by jcarm
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jcarm said:

Hopefully they do not sign as many players that have been released by previous teams as they have before. I would love to see next years DSL team stocked with 16-18 year olds and no 20-22 year olds.

Yeah, this year's DSL team is winning games, but has few if any prospects, with only three 17 year-olds and seven 18 year-olds, none of whom are statistical standouts on the team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

BTW, just so people know, we have Dominican scouts and sign guys every year. It's not like we just stepped onto the island this week. The difference is we are reportedly now going to be involved in the bigger named guys which will cost significant signing bonuses vs the small time guys we normally sign.

It seems like that's an issue that should be watched closely, then. DD talked up the O's intentions to earnestly invest in the international market, and he also referred to this week's impending Dominican and Venezuelan signings in ways that made me view them as evidence of that committment. If the O's don't wind up reeling in a VVM, and instead make a handful of signings of unpolished, low-dollar guys (as they've already done in prior years), I think my perception of this year's firesale will change dramatically.

50 minutes ago, jcarm said:

There is a lot of quality to be found in the international market for baseball beyond just the top 30 to 50 players that are ranked by some internet site. I do not think that Jonathan Schoop was ranked in the top 50 when he signed with the Orioles. Same with Eduardo Rodriguez. If the Orioles signed more of these type players this year, would you not be happy? I am sure that there are many future Major Leaguers that have yet to be signed that are eligible to be signed during this international signing period. Jean Carlos Encarnacion, who the Orioles just got from the Braves, was signed when he was 18 years old (he could have signed when he was 16). The resources other teams have to spend is very restricted now, where it was not in the past (which makes International spending allotments worth more this year than ever). Therefore, there should still be a good bit of talent left. The Orioles can take a bigger bite of that apple that is left than anybody else can this year.

You are correct - plenty of guys in the top 30 don't make it and vice versa, just like the amateur draft.

I was speaking more in terms of the amount of $$$ you need to sign them.  Who are they going to spend the money on if not Mesa?  He and Gaston look like the only options.