Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I get the idea for paranoia.  It's one thing for an outfielder, it's another for a front office type.

Although if this doesn't go through, get the pitchforks.  

I have seen this play out before and I know exactly what happened with LeCava.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“... One of the hottest names this offseason was Astros bench coach Joe Espada, a 43-yo Puerto Rico native and baseball lifer who interviewed for four vacant MLB managerial positions. If Mike Elias is at the helm, you’d have to think Espada is at least an Os manager consideration”

Dan Connolly

Just now, weams said:

“... One of the hottest names this offseason was Astros bench coach Joe Espada, a 43-yo Puerto Rico native and baseball lifer who interviewed for four vacant MLB managerial positions. If Mike Elias is at the helm, you’d have to think Espada is at least an Os manager consideration”

Dan Connolly

That would be my pick. Bilingual ability is such an important skill in modern baseball but honestly overall. It's a skill I wish I had. Let Elias and Espada grow together.

44 minutes ago, weams said:

“Houston, we have a problem!”   Obviously, everyone likes to move up the ladder, but these massive departures in Houston make me wonder whether there have been some personality issues there.   In addition to the people named, Mike Fast also left their analytics department.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

“Houston, we have a problem!”   Obviously, everyone likes to move up the ladder, but these massive departures in Houston make me wonder whether there have been some personality issues there.   In addition to the people named, Mike Fast also left their analytics department.   

I think it's a product of front offices around the game getting on board with the analytics thing en masse. But who knows.

23 minutes ago, weams said:

Dan Connolly

If they do that, I hope they give that guy the chance to coach any good team that they're able to build.  I'm looking at the next Orioles manager hire as a sacrificial lamb.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm assuming they came, they saw, they won, they also know that it'll be super hard to re-sign all those guys and sustain.  Better to dip out now while they're on top.  Just a theory.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Success has a cost.  Ravens won a Super Bowl, Phil Savage moved on to become GM in Cleveland.  Marvin Lewis left for DC and ultimately a head coaching job in Cincinatti.  It happens.

The situation with the Angelos brothers sort of reminds me of what happened with the Yankees when George Steinbrenner died and got older. The Yankees since Hal and Hank started running the show seem more practical than their old man was. And yeah I know Peter Angelos isn't on the level of George Steinbrenner with past success as an owner but it's an interesting parallel with two sons taking over from their father .

Archived