Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2013/08/26/2013-houston-astros-baseballs-worst-team-is-most-profitable-in-history/#e14eda534c0a

The Astros are on pace to rake in an estimated $99 million in operating income (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) this season. That is nearly as much as the estimated operating income of the previous six World Series championship teams — combined.

Yet the Astros are 43-86, worst in the majors. Of the 270 Major League Baseball teams who have taken the field since 2005, none have finished with a worse winning percentage than Houston’s.

They have become so profitable thanks to slashed payroll expenses and soaring television revenues.

Since becoming the Astros’ owner in 2011, Crane has gutted the team of its most expensive players while building up the farm system. Over the course of this season, the team will pay its players an estimated $21 million in salary and bonuses. That is down $56 million from 2011, when Crane bought the team.

The Astros opened this season with a league-low $26 million active payroll and have since cut it to under $13 million, according to the Houston Chronicle. Houston traded or released four of its five players making over $1 million.

Just now, spiritof66 said:

Maybe not work, just hang around. (I looked for a couple of minutes and couldn't find anything one way or the other about his current health.)

Yeah. i would think that it may still be an issue. He appears very emotional when seen in public. 

1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

How long will it take to start referring to Mike Elias as ME?  It's natural, like in Dan Duquette's case, to use initials.  Oh, the fun we could have with ME. ?

My bosses' initials are ME.  When we were at the corporate offices last, he poked around some offices of our support staff and signed their whiteboards "I was here. ME" . So yeah, lots of fun to be had. 

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looking forward to seeing how the Yalie is going to get out from under the Davis contract.  

He's going to show Davis some graphs about his swing that show him how to hit .300.    Then after Davis puts up a 6 WAR season next year, he'll trade him for 5 minor leaguers who are on Elias' radar screen.    Done!

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Nobody is disputing that Gausman is not worth the prospects we got back. But we got rid of his salary as well as O'Day. Maybe that $20M+ off the payroll gets PA a little bit closer to being OK with releasing Davis. If we could release Davis, Gausman is a small price to pay.

If we could somehow get Davis outta here, to make room for prospects... I would be amazed and grateful. I think I sometimes get too harsh on the Gausman deal (I am intrigued by JRE and Zimmerman). Still... I feel like we should have gotten at least one Top 5 player from someone at some time. 

Archived