Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

10 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Sisco looked totally over matched at the plate last year. Too early to get excited yet.

Three homers this early in ST is enough to get me excited. Lowered expectations is just part of going through a rebuild. I heard an audio clip of Sisco saying he worked on his swing over the offseason. Of course that could just be the usual cliche stuff, but it’s looking good so far. 

As anyone seen any video of him this ST. Does his swing look different?

16 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Other way around - I think as the Chosen One some of the vets weren't too good to him when he broke in.

Here's a link from an offhand Google http://www.hanknuwer.com/baltimore-manager-bucky-showalter-no-fan-of-hazing-wash-post/ (not sure how this site relates to Washington Post), but as with some of the O's thoughts in my head, I think it also because I believe weams has said so.

Which contradicts what Buck said about Wieters and making them feel welcome.

16 hours ago, Philip said:

Against whom? Someone said that the higher the uniform number, the farther from the majors the player is.

Did Sisco get his hits against front-line pitchers? Remember the issue is not just his awful defense, but how he deals with MLB pitching( which is very badly)

To me, when you talk about playing the role of catcher behind the plate, the entire package needs to be looked at, framing, blocking, setting a good target, handling your pitcher, making good throws to second, Keeping an eye on the runner at 1st, etc. Cant say anything about pitch selection, as that comes from the dugout.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Sometimes it just takes time - especially for a young catcher.  We know he can make contact; maybe he's gotten stronger and made his swing more efficient.  We'll just have to wait and see.  

Catchers being late bloomers isn’t a new thing.  Sisco is still just 24 years old too soon to write him off.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

To me, when you talk about playing the role of catcher behind the plate, the entire package needs to be looked at, framing, blocking, setting a good target, handling your pitcher, making good throws to second, Keeping an eye on the runner at 1st, etc. Cant say anything about pitch selection, as that comes from the dugout.

Very, very rarely does it. When catchers are looking in the dugout, it is for defense positioning and pickoffs/intentional walks.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Catchers being late bloomers isn’t a new thing.  Sisco is still just 24 years old too soon to write him off.  

Look at Caleb, perfect example of late bloomer.

Sisco has a chance to stay at catcher, but he has to keep working hard at improving his defensive skills.

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Very, very rarely does it. When catchers are looking in the dugout, it is for defense positioning and pickoffs/intentional walks.

Thats what I used to think, I thought we had a long heated discussion in OH and the Orioles bench coach actually calling the pitch selection, even back as far as when Matt was the daily C.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thats what I used to think, I thought we had a long heated discussion in OH and the Orioles bench coach actually calling the pitch selection, even back as far as when Matt was the daily C.

I might of missed that. I just remember Buck mentioning catchers "calling the game," same with the pitchers and broadcasters.

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

No, the opposite, I believe.  

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yes I didn’t suggest otherwise. The reason Caleb was good for us is because he did so well at framing and blocking and being aware of The runners on base. I shared a video a few days ago of Caleb completing a double play by throwing out the guy advancing to third, instead of throwing out the guy running to first. That kind of heads up play is what made him valuable to us.

If chance can learn that stuff, that would be great.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Yes I didn’t suggest otherwise. The reason Caleb was good for us is because he did so well at framing and blocking and being aware of The runners on base. I shared a video a few days ago of Caleb completing a double play by throwing out the guy advancing to third, instead of throwing out the guy running to first. That kind of heads up play is what made him valuable to us.

If chance can learn that stuff, that would be great.

Caleb was so bad at catching that at double A, they were playing him everywhere but catcher, because he could bat.

It somebody high up in the org, to remind AA, that their job was to coach and teach and put Caleb behind the plate and work with him.

He went from below average to above average.

Granted, his days are over, but it goes to show you, that skills can be taught.

Clevenger the same, he was well below average sent back to AAA, worked hard, and got back to the bigs, as a decent backup catcher.