Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Sisco has the MiL track record to back up his performance to date.   What I’ve liked this year is that he’s driving the ball a lot more.    I agree we need to see more, but I’ve always expected him to be an above average hitter for a catcher.  

Damn near won a batting title at every level. He’s made some adjustments. This isn’t the NFL with a 1st rd QB. They can fail, and you CAN go back to to them. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’ve always expected him to be an above average hitter for a catcher.  

Maybe, and tonight was encouraging, but we need to see a lot more...and we’d also like him to be at least an average catcher for a catcher.

meanwhile, Severino is doing very well and is probably a better total player at the moment.

53 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Damn near won a batting title at every level. He’s made some adjustments. This isn’t the NFL with a 1st rd QB. They can fail, and you CAN go back to to them. 

35 minutes ago, Philip said:

Maybe, and tonight was encouraging, but we need to see a lot more...and we’d also like him to be at least an average catcher for a catcher.

meanwhile, Severino is doing very well and is probably a better total player at the moment.

Severino didn't hit in the minor leagues period.  Chance Sisco was Baseball America's #57 prospect in 2017 and #68 in 2018.  He hit every where and the question was would he have power to go with that hitting. Well power seems to be there now.   I am not sure why you wouldn't give your top prospects a chance to succeed.  Give him the rest of the year see what he can do. If you want you can play each of them at DH when they aren't catching.

Who cares if you lose your DH.  We aren't winning anything this year anyway what if the pitcher has to bat if the catcher gets injured. The pitcher can do his Chris Davis impression and that would be the end of that.  

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Severino has hit way better than anyone should have expected based on his track record.    I do think some of it is “permanent.”  Probably not all of it, and we’ll see. In the long run, I’d bet on Sisco being the substantially better hitter. In the short run, I see no reason to change the rough amount of playing time Severino has been getting.   

I already cited some stats showing the pitchers have a much better ERA when Sisco catches than when Severino does.    Whether there’s a causal reason for that or it is just a coincidence, I don’t know.    But I don’t think Sisco’s defense is so bad that it would keep him off the field if he proves the better hitter.   That was him behind the plate last night steering his four pitchers to a six-hit shutout.   The team’s ERA has been well under 5.00 when he’s caught.    

7 hours ago, atomic said:

Severino didn't hit in the minor leagues period.  Chance Sisco was Baseball America's #57 prospect in 2017 and #68 in 2018.  He hit every where and the question was would he have power to go with that hitting. Well power seems to be there now.   I am not sure why you wouldn't give your top prospects a chance to succeed.  Give him the rest of the year see what he can do. If you want you can play each of them at DH when they aren't catching.

Who cares if you lose your DH.  We aren't winning anything this year anyway what if the pitcher has to bat if the catcher gets injured. The pitcher can do his Chris Davis impression and that would be the end of that.  

What one does in the minors is irrelevant. How many guys are bad in the minors and productive on the majors? Not many. How many are good in the Minors but bad in the majors? A whole lot.

But who cares how anybody did down there. Severino is playing well where it counts. Do you think the Nats wish they had him back? He’s worth .9 fWAR, which makes him(sadly) among the team leaders.

meanwhile, Sisco had a great game yesterday, but one game does not a resurrection make.

37 minutes ago, Philip said:

What one does in the minors is irrelevant. How many guys are bad in the minors and productive on the majors? Not many. How many are good in the Minors but bad in the majors? A whole lot.

But who cares how anybody did down there. Severino is playing well where it counts. Do you think the Nats wish they had him back? He’s worth .9 fWAR, which makes him(sadly) among the team leaders.

meanwhile, Sisco had a great game yesterday, but one game does not a resurrection make.

His OPS is 1.058 for 2019. SSS of course, but it’s more than one game. It’s not like he’s been bad to date outside of yesterday. 

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

His OPS is 1.058 for 2019. SSS of course, but it’s more than one game. It’s not like he’s been bad to date outside of yesterday. 

No I didn’t say that. We are still in the world of SSS, and his K rate has come down a lot. But still a long way to go.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

You point out how minor league production is irrelevant and that major league production is really what counts yet Severino had a .187/.273/.287 Major League line coming into this year and still only has a career ML line of .222/.302/.367. Sisco has better offensive numbers across the board even after the terrible season he had last year.