Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

24 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I actually went back and read @Tony-OH old prospect reports on Sisco in 2014 and 2015. Both times he mentions a lack of bat speed and in one of the articles, mentions how Sisco would have trouble catching up to fastballs in the top ranks.

Tony also mentions how Sisco would mainly go opposite field. I wonder if that was due to bat speed or just the hitting style? 

Let's see if he has a different swing path or stance in the Spring.

Looks like Tony was right. 

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:52 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

In random off season news, Sisco tied the knot today.

Maybe that was the issue this year? Worried about if the team was going to get him some candlesticks, a place setting or a silverware pattern?

Guess his new bride took a Chance..

16 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I actually went back and read @Tony-OH old prospect reports on Sisco in 2014 and 2015. Both times he mentions a lack of bat speed and in one of the articles, mentions how Sisco would have trouble catching up to fastballs in the top ranks.

Tony also mentions how Sisco would mainly go opposite field. I wonder if that was due to bat speed or just the hitting style? 

Let's see if he has a different swing path or stance in the Spring.

I am more worried about this lack of skills behind the plate.

According to my baseman according to Rick's manual. I want my catcher to be A+ defense first, and if he can bat, that is gravy.

Sadly, Sisco looked C- at best.

Of course, he is still young and teachable, we shall see how he does in ST.

35 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I am more worried about this lack of skills behind the plate.

According to my baseman according to Rick's manual. I want my catcher to be A+ defense first, and if he can bat, that is gravy.

Sadly, Sisco looked C- at best.

Of course, he is still young and teachable, we shall see how he does in ST.

How many guys do grade at A+ on defense?

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Not too many, there are several in the bigs, not every team has one.

So do you disagree with my opinion about Sisco being C- last year?

I didn't give an opinion one way or another.

I'd probably grade him a C last year, he threw well early and then fell off.

I don't think there are more than a couple A+ guys at a time.  Wieters was one for a season.  Before that maybe Dempsey for the O's?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think there are more than a couple A+ guys at a time.  Wieters was one for a season.  Before that maybe Dempsey for the O's?

Dempsey was for sure.

Wieters had a 1 really good year, but several others decent years behind the plate, that I would grade above a C, but thats just me.

I think Caleb was above average and ranks out a B most of the time, that nasty injury hurt and set him back some.

I think if you look at the stats, which IMO doesn't do the catcher enough justice:

Buster for SF has been pretty solid, his whole career.

Actually gets ranked #13 in the top 100 Catcher's list. Which is graded combined offensive and defense.

http://baseballegg.com/how-we-ranked-baseballs-greatest-players/baseballs-greatest-catchers-of-all-time/

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not too many, there are several in the bigs, not every team has one.

So do you disagree with my opinion about Sisco being C- last year?

Rfield had him at 0 (average), Rtot and Rdrs had him at -1, FRAA had him at -2.2.    I think C- is fair, if you are truly treating a C as major league average.   My big reservation is that I think his throwing deteriorated after he got off to a good start in that regard.   He was slightly better than average (31% CS) for the year, but a lot of his success came early IIRC.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Dempsey was for sure.

Wieters had a 1 really good year, but several others decent years behind the plate, that I would grade above a C, but thats just me.

Wieters won two gold gloves, Dempsey never won one.   Dempsey played in an era when teams ran more and got thrown out more often as a percentage of their attempts.   So, it’s tricky to compare them.    

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wieters won two gold gloves, Dempsey never won one.   Dempsey played in an era when teams ran more and got thrown out more often as a percentage of their attempts.   So, it’s tricky to compare them.    

It is. Dempsey didnt get too many awards other than MVP of the WS.

I dont think he ended up #55 on the top 100 list, based on his bat, or playing 22 seasons.

Starter for 7 90 game winners and two titles, probably means as catcher, he had to have a role in their success.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

It is. Dempsey didnt get too many awards other than MVP of the WS.

I dont think he ended up #55 on the top 100 list, based on his bat, or playing 22 seasons.

Starter for 7 90 game winners and two titles, probably means as catcher, he had to have a role in their success.

What top 100 list are you referring to?

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What top 100 list are you referring to?

Sorry, I had just posted this a couple of posts before.

http://baseballegg.com/how-we-ranked-baseballs-greatest-players/baseballs-greatest-catchers-of-all-time/

Yes, its based on opinion, and not the authority on the subject.

But, interesting to see their viewpoint.

17 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Sorry, I had just posted this a couple of posts before.

Yes, its based on opinion, and not the authority on the subject.

But, interesting to see their viewpoint.

Ah, thanks.    Didn’t realize it was a list of catchers, rather than a list of all players.    Top of my head, 55th on the all-time list of catchers doesn’t seem too outrageous for a guy who lasted 23 seasons in the big leagues.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Ah, thanks.    Didn’t realize it was a list of catchers, rather than a list of all players.    Top of my head, 55th on the all-time list of catchers doesn’t seem too outrageous for a guy who lasted 23 seasons in the big leagues.

For a guy with a weak bat. I think #55 is a huge honor on the all-time list of catchers, going back to Druno days of baseball.

He still caught roughly 400 games after he turned 35.