Orioles claim Austin Brice Designate Valera (Traded to Giants for CC)

jrobb21613

16 hours ago, wildcard said:

I'd say this shows Hyde has input.   Elias make the final decision on small moves like this.

Perhaps saying this move was potentially Hyde influenced is a better way to explain the move. With as small a team Elias has put together, I'm sure Hyde is working with him closely. Elias seems to have a very small influence circle which certainly will lead to everyone being on the same page for now.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Slower than Florida?

In this part of FL, old farts will run you over in their tricked out golf vehicles, if you don't watch out.  They be gunning to their destinations or fate (while boasting of their love for the Sawx and Pats, in this case)!  

10406767_10204986309648045_6016503274075

Our Oriole loving dog stared down a big dawg however!

10696412_10204986237846250_2424829144114

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

As long as players have options there is not a problem with having several infielders on the 40 man rosters.  Especially because many are not established major leaguers and the Villar probably is traded in July.

After all the O's now have 23 pitchers on the 40 man roster.

I agree with sportsfan.  Options consideration is normally wise, but in this case it just isn't all that important, IMO.  Both rule 5 guys will be on the 25-man roster all season, barring injury.  Villar and Nunez are almost certain to be there, as well, and there are plenty of other players that can be brought up and plugged in as necessary.  There is nothing about Valera that suggests that he will be anything special.  There will always be a dozen or so Valeras available to pick up in the event of an emergency.  I'd be surprised if he's claimed, but I'm not worried about it if he is.  Really just no reason that I can see to continue to have Valera using up a 40-man spot.

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

In this part of FL, old farts will run you over in their tricked out golf vehicles, if you don't watch out.  They be gunning to their destinations or fate (while boasting of their love for the Sawx and Pats, in this case)!  

10406767_10204986309648045_6016503274075

Our Oriole loving dog stared down a big dawg however!

10696412_10204986237846250_2424829144114

What's his poop time?

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Both Valera and Brice are struggling with the same problem.  The jump to the the majors.

Brice  has a 2.70 ERA at AAA and a 5.68 ERA in the majors.

Valera has a  300/368/427/794 at AAA and a 216/286/243/594 in the majors

If one stinks so does the other.

Yeah, they're both QuadA guys right now, but I can live with the idea that Brice has a better chance of being useful than Valera.  IMO, Valera doesn't do anything well.  Brice flashed a pitch that could be a + tool.  It's not like I love it, I said "whatever", but I see the process.  :leaving:

41 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Yeah, they're both QuadA guys right now, but I can live with the idea that Brice has a better chance of being useful than Valera.  IMO, Valera doesn't do anything well.  Brice flashed a pitch that could be a + tool.  It's not like I love it, I said "whatever", but I see the process.  :leaving:

I rather have claimed Brice and DFA'd Hart or Wright.

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

I agree with sportsfan.  Options consideration is normally wise, but in this case it just isn't all that important, IMO.  Both rule 5 guys will be on the 25-man roster all season, barring injury. 

I think that's quite an assumption. This isn't the Dan Duquette Orioles anymore. I'd be really surprised if both Rule 5 guys, who are similar players (and have similar lack of upside), stuck around on the active roster all year. Maybe one of them, more likely Martin.

46 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

I think that's quite an assumption. This isn't the Dan Duquette Orioles anymore. I'd be really surprised if both Rule 5 guys, who are similar players (and have similar lack of upside), stuck around on the active roster all year. Maybe one of them, more likely Martin.

I disagree, unless we acquire someone else.  What middle infielder currently on the Orioles' roster is going to force Elias to return Jackson to the Dodgers?  

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Of course, that assumes Brice isn’t jettisoned for some free agent signing or another waiver pickup later.    I’ve learned not to get too attached to these offseason waiver guys, who are often gone as quickly as they came.   

That’s definitely a possibility, I’m not saying this is a sure thing, just that some of the ingredients are there for pitch design and pitch mix changes to lead to a better outcome.

15 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

That’s definitely a possibility, I’m not saying this is a sure thing, just that some of the ingredients are there for pitch design and pitch mix changes to lead to a better outcome.

Oh, it makes perfect sense that they’d claim guys they think they can tweak.   The interesting thing will be, next time they need to DFA a guy, will it be Brice or some holdover?    Chances are good we’ll DFA at least 3 guys between now and the start of spring training, for one reason or another.  

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

I disagree, unless we acquire someone else.  What middle infielder currently on the Orioles' roster is going to force Elias to return Jackson to the Dodgers?  

Jackson or Martin could lose out due to: Ineffectiveness, Wilkerson playing out of his mind, or the need for roster flexibility. 

Jackson and Wilkerson have played more positions with range (3rd and outfield) that Martin has not. They could carry both Jackson and Martin, with Martin being the primary starter with Jackson being the "super utility." But Wilkerson provides a switch hitting bat, giving more advantage to him when it comes to matchups (if that is Hyde's thing.)

Also factor in who plays 3rd. Is it Nunez, Ruiz, or neither? If they keep Nunez or Ruiz at 3rd, there goes another spot. If they cut Nunez and have Ruiz in Norfolk, then you can have Wilkerson at 3rd, Martin at short, Villar at 2nd, and Jackson as the super utility, which also provides a supremely flexible infield. But that is IF 3rd has an opening.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Jackson is better than Valera. We’re in a totally different position now from when we got Valera in the Manny trade. Nunez had only been with us like a week. Then we got Villar. Wilkerson showed promise. We took Martin and Jackson in the Rule 5 draft and claimed Ruiz off waivers. 

We have IF depth now. If Valera was a C then it would be different. 

Archived