Stand Pat!

Peace21

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So does that mean to egt rid of the older guys?

I was targeting guys like Ramon, Jay Payton, Kevin Millar, Chad Bradford, Jamie Walker and George Sherrill... if at all possible. Melvin is obviously not going anywhere because he won't wave his no-trade clause, I am guessing.

Keep and extend Roberts. Keep Huff.

I would be alright with keeping Sherrill and extending Roberts but dump the veterans. Bring up Reimold and Wieters ASAP.

Neither of these guys has played a game at AAA. The front office has said they want to stop rushing guys to the majors. They have already said Matt wont be a September call up & I bet the same holds true for Reimold. My guess is they will both play the 1st half of next season at AAA.

Neither of these guys has played a game at AAA. The front office has said they want to stop rushing guys to the majors. They have already said Matt wont be a September call up & I bet the same holds true for Reimold. My guess is they will both play the 1st half of next season at AAA.

I honestly didn't hear the FO say that Wieters would not be called up in September. I just read that as as an opinion in a blog on the Baltimore Sun's website...

I honestly didn't hear the FO say that Wieters would not be called up in September. I just read that as as an opinion in a blog on the Baltimore Sun's website...

I thought Roch said it which would likely seem to be good info. I maybe be mistaken. But I'm sure about the part where they have said they wanted our minor leaguers to start earning promotions rather than be rushed. I think having those guys skip AAA in order to rush them to the majors to play in games that really dont matter is well foolish! And would be among the many mistakes the Orioles front office has made under Angelos's tenure as owner.

No one was questioning what Tampa did in the past or what the Orioles could do in the future. In fact, two of those, Canseco and Boggs, were just to put butts into seats. However, the issue still remains, in order to draw other personnel in, you have to have something. It doesn't necessarily have to be "something going", but it does have to be something.

Sure, you can try to use pieces of what you have now, in order to help build for the future. What do you do, if no one gives you what you want for them? Do you settle for what you can get? Or do you use a couple of those pieces to help bring in other players as a nucleus.

Tampa has had years & years of top 3 selections in their farm system to credit for their sudden rise. IMO we also managed to be just good enough to select outside the cream of the crop selections. Kind of like the year we missed out on Tex.

Im concerned with everyones demand on bringing Wieters up so soon. Why?

Why not?

He's destroying AA after destroying A. Everything I've heard from people in the Minors sections says that his defense is already major-league caliber.

Even if he comes up and struggles (which, while likely, I don't believe is the slam-dunk so many seem to believe), he's still the best catcher on the team and he'll be getting valuable experience to be ready for 2009 and beyond.

(And the first person that responds with even the hint of keeping him down because of service time will get well-deserved negative rep. That shouldn't even be in the discussions of any quality organization.)

Why not?

He's destroying AA after destroying A. Everything I've heard from people in the Minors sections says that his defense is already major-league caliber.

Even if he comes up and struggles (which, while likely, I don't believe is the slam-dunk so many seem to believe), he's still the best catcher on the team and he'll be getting valuable experience to be ready for 2009 and beyond.

(And the first person that responds with even the hint of keeping him down because of service time will get well-deserved negative rep. That shouldn't even be in the discussions of any quality organization.

(BTerp inserts tongue in cheek....I hope at least)

I thought Roch said it which would likely seem to be good info. I maybe be mistaken. But I'm sure about the part where they have said they wanted our minor leaguers to start earning promotions rather than be rushed. I think having those guys skip AAA in order to rush them to the majors to play in games that really dont matter is well foolish! And would be among the many mistakes the Orioles front office has made under Angelos's tenure as owner.

Markakis skipping AAA was one hell of a foolish decision.

The biggest problem the organization has had is allowing organizational demands to overtake the needs of the players. In our case it was often overrating or bringing up unready players, or trading away talent. Let's not make the same mistake in the other direction by shoe-horning players into places they don't fit.

Tampa has had years & years of top 3 selections in their farm system to credit for their sudden rise. IMO we also managed to be just good enough to select outside the cream of the crop selections. Kind of like the year we missed out on Tex.

To say that the Rays are good only because of their top picks in the draft is not doing justice to their front office. The Rays have done a pretty good job with their lower round picks and trades too.

Many of the currrent Ray's major leaguers were not taken in the first round. James Shields was drafted in the 16th round in 2000 by the Rays. Andy Sonnanstine was drafted in the 13th round in 2004 by the Rays. Jonny Gomes was drafted in the 18th round in 2001 by the Rays. Carl Crawford was drafted in the second round in 1999 by the Rays.

The Rays have made some very good trades to acquire prospects too. Scott Kazmir was stolen from the Mets for Victor Zambrano. Edwin Jackson was acquired from the Dodgers for the infamous Danys Baez and Lance Carter. The Matt Garza/Jason Bartlett for Delmon Young trade looks pretty good now too.

Many of the Ray's top prospects now were not taken in the first round. Baseball America's number 15 top prospect in all of baseball, Jake McGee, was drafted in the fifth round in 2004. BA's number 17 top prospect, Wade Davis, was selected in the third round in 2004. BA's number 39, Reid Brignac, was drafted in the second round in 2004. BA's number 59, Desmond Jennings, was drafted in the tenth round in 2006.

The Rays have done a really good job all around in draft and acquiring young talent, even outside the first round of the major league draft.

Archived