Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

And it’s real (not Confederate) money. 

Peter Angelos is trying to get hip with the kids and spending like a rapper. Really frivolously on poor investments like sports cars and drugs until the money stops coming in magically. It's a bold strategy to sell tickets to the youths of America that has backfired. 

• Confused 1

I can't stand this guy.  He got his money why try anymore.  There is no challenge to prove anything.  I wish it was like NFL, where as a player don't produce just cut him and no pay.  A player should be obligated to produce according to what he signed up to do.  Trying is not an excuse. 

• Upvote 1

I don't really know the answer to this - haven't done the research.  But let's really take a look here.

1. Davis is OPSing .480 after nearly 200 plate appearances.  That's a first baseman doing that.
  2. Davis has turned in a -1.5 rWAR to date, and his offensive component is by far the worst on the team.  Only Trey Mancini with his terrible OF defense comes close in overall negative WAR.
  3. There is at least some chance that Davis continues to get regular plate appearances the whole season.  Since we're at the 1/3 mark, that means he is on pace for -4.5 rWAR over nearly 600 PA.

I mean what is going to happen here?  Are we really going to see this happen?  Are we going to see a first baseman OPS .480 in extreme hitting conditions over an entire year?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been arguing this for two weeks now.  And yes, he is on pace to have the worst MLB season ever.  

Sure, there will probably be utility infielders and catchers who had lower OPS than Davis will have, but nobody expects guys like that to do anything at the plate to begin with.  For a first baseman to be putting up these putrid offensive numbers is obscene, and a quite frankly a desecration of the game.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, FanSince88 said:

It might be a nice stealth tanking strategy, but otherwise batting Davis 4th is insane.  I'd rather he bat 9th so younger guys like Sisco, Rickard, and Mancini can get more ABs.  

Batting Davis 4th is insane even if you're trying to end up with the #1 draft pick.  Honestly, it's more like Buck is daring Angelos to fire him.  Who knows, it may be defiance on his part because the FO isn't listening to him.  Or he's blindly going on "tack records" that are no longer good.

To answer the OP, it could get to .450.  I can't fathom an ML hitter falling below that.

6 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

It might be a nice stealth tanking strategy, but otherwise batting Davis 4th is insane.  I'd rather he bat 9th so younger guys like Sisco, Rickard, and Mancini can get more ABs.  

It’s not stealth to anyone with a pulse.  People have been committed for lesser stunts.

5 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Only Trey Mancini with his terrible OF defense comes close in overall negative WAR.

And honestly we should be holding Davis responsible for Mancini's negative WAR because Davis is the one forcing Trey out of position in LF.  Just disgraceful. 

And Buck continuing to insist on not only playing Davis but batting him in the heart of the order is an abomination.  It's an absolute travesty and makes a mockery of the game of baseball.  

• Upvote 4