Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

There’s the human side of this and the long term team side.    On the human side, I don’t want Davis embarrassing himself.    On the long term team side, I’d rather see him embarrass himself so badly that the team cuts bait and cuts him, as opposed to playing right at replacement level and clogging up 1B/DH and a roster spot and forcing other guys to play out of position or languish in the minors even though they’re ready for their shot.    I don’t think we know yet where Davis’ performance will fall on the spectrum, so I’m just taking a wait and see attitude, though I’m generally pessimistic he’ll play well enough to deserve a roster spot.   

Davis was precisely 0 WAR in 2017, with offensive stats that could reasonably merit being cut from any major league team. So I think there's the possibility of a middle path between the two extremes you mention: that of cutting him after he puts up (perhaps after this season, but maybe not until during or after the next) 2017-like numbers (maybe worse offensively, but better defensively than then). He would avoid the humiliation of being cut soon after a historically bad performance like the 2018 season or the hitless streak. There might even be enough little successes along the way to allow most everybody to leave those behind in a muted past. Like a few walk-off RBI's or grand slams or homers in 3 or 4 consecutive games, or a hot September, etc. Wouldn't the club be amenable to losing two seasons of salary on him--and whatever the minor deferred amounts are--so that it could bring up its next wave of talent? That would be nowhere near the top of the list when it comes to bad long-term contracts.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

There’s the human side of this and the long term team side.    On the human side, I don’t want Davis embarrassing himself.    On the long term team side, I’d rather see him embarrass himself so badly that the team cuts bait and cuts him, as opposed to playing right at replacement level and clogging up 1B/DH and a roster spot and forcing other guys to play out of position or languish in the minors even though they’re ready for their shot.    I don’t think we know yet where Davis’ performance will fall on the spectrum, so I’m just taking a wait and see attitude, though I’m generally pessimistic he’ll play well enough to deserve a roster spot.   

Yes.  This.  Even is he returns to hitting .230 with 15-20 HR's a year he's basically unusable against left handed pitching.  On a personal level I'm glad he's having some success... but at his age, it's just hard to see him turning into anything much more than replacement level performance.  

o

(vs. ANGELS, 5/12))))))))) 

NUMBER 5

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS CHRISTOPHER LYDAVIS

o

• Like 1

Davis's good day advanced his OPS from .633 to .666.  Coming into today, his rWAR was -0.3 and his fWAR was -0.1.  I wouldn't be surprised if he is at 0.0 on Fangraphs tomorrow morning.  Has a good shot to continue to move closer to breaking the .700 mark and achieving positive WAR in both flavors with a machup against the NYY and Jon Lasagna tomorrow (RHP with 4.5 ERA and 1.50 WHIP).

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Davis's good day advanced his OPS from .633 to .666.  Coming into today, his rWAR was -0.3 and his fWAR was -0.1.  I wouldn't be surprised if he is at 0.0 on Fangraphs tomorrow morning.  Has a good shot to continue to move closer to breaking the .700 mark and achieving positive WAR in both flavors with a machup against the NYY and Jon Lasagna tomorrow (RHP with 4.5 ERA and 1.50 WHIP).

Chris Davis... the less pressure, the better he performs.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Only 25 SO in his last 41 ABs. I say keep him!

To me the only reason that makes sense for Davis staying on the team is that ownership won't let him be released.

He can't be traded, he won't be useful when the O's are good again and he's forcing another player to play out of position and possibly blocking someone in the minors from being promoted.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me the only reason that makes sense for Davis staying on the team is that ownership won't let him be released.

I agree with you but with the caveat of "yet". Elias is in.full evaluation mode of everyone on the 25 and 40. Whether Trey can be adequate as a COF is part of that IMO. He seemed to improve in 2017 but regressed in 2018. Elias needs a better read on Nunez, Mountcastle, and Sisco before deciding on 1B and DH. The coaches trying to "fix" Davis saves face in the near term and buys time. I don't expect Davis here in 2020 unless a miracle occurs. Then we wiii know.

3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I agree with you but with the caveat of "yet". Elias is in.full evaluation mode of everyone on the 25 and 40. Whether Trey can be adequate as a COF is part of that IMO. He seemed to improve in 2017 but regressed in 2018. Elias needs a better read on Nunez, Mountcastle, and Sisco before deciding on 1B and DH. The coaches trying to "fix" Davis saves face in the near term and buys time. I don't expect Davis here in 2020 unless a miracle occurs. Then we wiii know.

That's nonsense.  No one needs to see more of Davis.  The sample size is plenty big enough at this point. 

As for Mancini, he's a poor outfielder and the team is better served with him playing elsewhere.