Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

Best  reason to keep Davis at this point is this: He is doing so poorly that perhaps he will quit in return for a partial buyout of the remainder of his contract. 

If the Orioles release him, there is zero chance for them to avoid paying that ridiculous contract. Even if there’s only a 25 percent chance he retires, it may be worth waiting    The team could initiate talks with him retiring  

If I started performing very poorly at my job and did not improve I’d be shown the door. Besides I would not want to stay and make mistakes and embarrass myself and not carry my weight so I’d retire to avoid that. 

Edited by Maverick Hiker

I was thinking/hoping the mid point of the season would be it for Davis. My guess now is when Stewart is ready to be back they send out Wilkerson and then bring him back if Villar gets dealt. It will be tough to get everyone at bats but they will let this drag out the rest of the year. 

I just can’t imagine we will be going through this during spring training again next year. 

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I skimmed part X and it is surprising to me how few people are against the contract numbers being thrown around.  Folks have gotten a lot smarter about these types of deals.

I've gotten to know a member or two of his extended family a very little bit. They're still a little bitter about how things went down from a media perspective. They swear the O's were never really in it. I don't recall if they said we never offered any contract or never offered anything within like $40 million, but my take away was the O's never even really tried so he didn't really have an opportunity to come home whether he wanted to or not.

1 hour ago, Maverick Hiker said:

If I started performing very poorly at my job and did not improve I’d be shown the door. Besides I would not want to stay and make mistakes and embarrass myself and not carry my weight so I’d retire to avoid that. 

I'm sure your rationale wouldn't change at all if your employer was obligated to pay you $80M.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm sure your rationale wouldn't change at all if your employer was obligated to pay you $80M.

What if the employer made him the guy who cleans the toilets and mops up old people's mistakes in the rec room? That's Davis as late-inning defensive replacement, pinchhitter for Martin against RHP, and mop-up reliever in blow-outs. Otherwise rotting at the end of the bench, maybe throwing peanuts or sunflower seeds after someone else's home run.

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

What if the employer made him the guy who cleans the toilets and mops up old people's mistakes in the rec room? That's Davis as late-inning defensive replacement, pinchhitter for Martin against RHP, and mop-up reliever in blow-outs. Otherwise rotting at the end of the bench, maybe throwing peanuts or sunflower seeds after someone else's home run.

Except that doing that stuff isn't the same as changing an 80-year-old's diapers.  If you put yourself in the right frame of mind sitting at the end of a major league bench is fun.  Any of us would rather be doing that that whatever we're currently doing if we were paid the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

Best  reason to keep Davis at this point is this: He is doing so poorly that perhaps he will quit in return for a partial buyout of the remainder of his contract. 

If the Orioles release him, there is zero chance for them to avoid paying that ridiculous contract. Even if there’s only a 25 percent chance he retires, it may be worth waiting    The team could initiate talks with him retiring  

For twenty million dollars a year, I'll take the boos.  After all, its only home games, and its only a few people who boo him.  Boo away...I'll keep cashing my checks.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

For twenty million dollars a year, I'll take the boos.  After all, its only home games, and its only a few people who boo him.  Boo away...I'll keep cashing my checks.

Then you get to spend the off season in Texas where there are no Orioles fans who care about your performance. 

• Upvote 2

Of Davis can avoid the intensity of another 0 fer record run then I think there is no way  he retires before the end of his contract. I think there’s a slim chance he retires even if he approaches another record that attracts national media and the wrath of fans. The Orioles are going to have to blink on this one. 

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Of Davis can avoid the intensity of another 0 fer record run then I think there is no way  he retires before the end of his contract. I think there’s a slim chance he retires even if he approaches another record that attracts national media and the wrath of fans. The Orioles are going to have to blink on this one. 

Batting Davis leadoff is about the only tool the Orioles have. Not playing him isn't going to work. He gets to hangout and watch baseball games for $20M. Sign me up for that. 

I suppose Davis could be given a mop up role in the bullpen in addition.  

• Upvote 1

What I find interesting is the relative silence about Davis. When he had the no-hit streak going, it was a media frenzy. You had quotes from Davis, Elias, Hyde, his teammates, Don Long, Sig was looking into it. 

Since he busted out of that slump, went on a tear, and fell back to earth, it's been crickets. Buried on the bench. No talk of data-mining his struggles. No talk of super slo mo cameras. No "he's putting work in the cage with Don". No talk of rebuilding his mechanics again. 

Basically, it feels like everyone has just given up on it. They tried everything, after all. Whether or not that's true I don't know (probably not, I'm sure he and the coaches are working), but that's what it seems like due to the lack of media stuff on it. 

It feels more and more like the writing is on the wall here.

21 minutes ago, interloper said:

What I find interesting is the relative silence about Davis. When he had the no-hit streak going, it was a media frenzy. You had quotes from Davis, Elias, Hyde, his teammates, Don Long, Sig was looking into it. 

Since he busted out of that slump, went on a tear, and fell back to earth, it's been crickets. Buried on the bench. No talk of data-mining his struggles. No talk of super slo mo cameras. No "he's putting work in the cage with Don". No talk of rebuilding his mechanics again. 

Basically, it feels like everyone has just given up on it. They tried everything, after all. Whether or not that's true I don't know (probably not, I'm sure he and the coaches are working), but that's what it seems like due to the lack of media stuff on it. 

It feels more and more like the writing is on the wall here.

I understand your conclusion, but if I were completely rebuilding my swing to save myself and my franchise from one of the biggest contractual boondoggles in sports history, I probably wouldn't give a play by play either. Of course, I'd also offer management the opportunity to put me on the DL with an oblique injury while I went about trying to completely re-learn how to hit, and that hasn't happened yet. 

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I understand your conclusion, but if I were completely rebuilding my swing to save myself and my franchise from one of the biggest contractual boondoggles in sports history, I probably wouldn't give a play by play either. Of course, I'd also offer management the opportunity to put me on the DL with an oblique injury while I went about trying to completely re-learn how to hit, and that hasn't happened yet. 

If I were completely rebuilding my swing I'd do it in the offseason after I put up a 549 OPS.

• Upvote 1