Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

I don't think I have seen this posted, at least in this way.

Per Cot's Davis is owed 101 mil over the next 18.5 years.

59.5 mil over the next 3.5 yrs (paid 17 mil per yr)

35.0 mil over 10 yrs (3.5 mil as deferred money)

7.0 mil over 5 yrs (1.4 mil as deferred money) 

My suggestion..Give him F/A NOW and pay him:

17 mil this yr ONLY and 5.166 mil a yr for 18 yrs. 

He gets all his money and becomes a F/A now.

The O's get him off the 25/40 man roster and save 11.8 mil per year for the next 3 yrs.

1 hour ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

I don't think I have seen this posted, at least in this way.

Per Cot's Davis is owed 101 mil over the next 18.5 years.

59.5 mil over the next 3.5 yrs (paid 17 mil per yr)

35.0 mil over 10 yrs (3.5 mil as deferred money)

7.0 mil over 5 yrs (1.4 mil as deferred money) 

My suggestion..Give him F/A NOW and pay him:

17 mil this yr ONLY and 5.166 mil a yr for 18 yrs. 

He gets all his money and becomes a F/A now.

The O's get him off the 25/40 man roster and save 11.8 mil per year for the next 3 yrs.

Even if he's no longer on the team, pay him $17 million next year as well because the O's really won't need the money for FA.  Otherwise, after recalculating the reduced payout, why not?

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'll concede that there was a brief period where money wasn't that a big of a deal, because there really wasn't anything to spend money on.  The owners had successfully held off challenges to the reserve clause, and they'd successfully stopped the only free agency of the pre-1970s era: amateurs.  There was about a decade where no player had any say in where he played or how much he made.  

That is never coming back.  Never ever.  It wouldn't last 30 seconds in the courts.  If you think that competitive balance is messed up and market size and resources are skewing baseball you're going to have to come up with a different solution.  Free agency is here to stay.

And if you did go back to a 1970 setup you'd have players fleeing from baseball to other sports where they could make much more money and have choice in employers.  The salary Frank Robinson made in 1965 was the equivalent of about $500k today, or what is now the MLB minimum.  Many players of that era made today's equivalent of less than $100k.  Any top young athlete and his parents would see that and steer their kids to all the other sports where they could make ten or 100 times that.  I'm sure soccer and football and basketball and hockey would love the influx of talent.

I grew up and became a MLB fan, during that brief period when money didn't mean much, so I suppose that's why I think that's the way it should be today. Especially since the Orioles thrived during that period.

There is an argument to be made that it's better for the sport to have the rich big market  teams like the Yankees and Dodgers dominate.  Nationally, they have far more fans than do the Orioles, the Reds, or the Royals. 

I don't really believe that it is good, however, to have competitive imbalance like we do today.

Getting back to Chris Davis, I wonder if the new batting stance is doing him good, it does seem like he's hit a little better lately.  

• Upvote 1

I am wondering if the All-Star break could see a decision on Chris Davis.  He is in the starting line-up today and maybe this weekend could be the last hurrah.  You have DJ Stewart probably ready to come back from his injury.  The probably want to keep Wilkerson has the utility player. 

6 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

I don't really believe that it is good, however, to have competitive imbalance like we do today.

Baseball has always had a competitive imbalance.  See how many championships the Yankees and Dodgers have. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Baseball has always had a competitive imbalance.  See how many championships the Yankees and Dodgers have. 

"It's always been that way" doesn't mean it's good.  I think a balanced league with most teams having a chance is a good thing.  Unfortunately one of the keys to that is balanced revenues, and baseball set the precedent well over 100 years ago that they could and would bestow massive markets on single teams and have them directly compete with teams from dramatically smaller and/or poorer areas.

8 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I am wondering if the All-Star break could see a decision on Chris Davis.  He is in the starting line-up today and maybe this weekend could be the last hurrah.  You have DJ Stewart probably ready to come back from his injury.  The probably want to keep Wilkerson has the utility player. 

I don't think any particular date has any meaning.  It is going to be when ownership accepts that they have to eat the money.  Might Elias convince them during the break?  Maybe when Stewart is ready?  Maybe?  But there is nothing you are going to see in the next few days that changes anything.  Just like there was nothing we were going to see this season that changed anything.  Davis was never going to be tradaeable and he was never going to be an asset for this team going forward.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think any particular date has any meaning.  It is going to be when ownership accepts that they have to eat the money.  Might Elias convince them during the break?  Maybe when Stewart is ready?  Maybe?  But there is nothing you are going to see in the next few days that changes anything.  Just like there was nothing we were going to see this season that changed anything.  Davis was never going to be tradaeable and he was never going to be an asset for this team going forward.

I agree but there has to been some conversation when Elias took the job on at what point do we end this distraction.  If he was hitting 220 with 10 HR's etc there could be some kind of debate but he has left no doubt at this point he is done.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We should focus our ire on Martin, Broxton, and Wilkerson.  Guys that are easily removable who are awful.  Banging our heads the Chris Davis wall is going to serve no purpose. If he is on the tam 3 years from now we will have to deal with it. 

16 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Baseball has always had a competitive imbalance. See how many championships the Yankees and Dodgers have. 

o

The Yankees and the the Cardinals would be more telling, but I see what you're saying.

Drungo would probably know more about this particular aspect, but I believe that one of the reasons that the Cardinals were able to be such a perennial power back in the day is that there was no limit to how many AAA teams that a team could be affiliated with ........ so the Cardinals would have as many as 3 or 4 AAA-teams (AA was essentially AAA prior to 1946) at one time. That would allow them to stock a lot of players who belonged in the Major Leagues down there, and essentially play "keep away" with them by not allowing other teams access to them ........ again, prior to Marvin Miller and company coming along in the mid-to-late 60's, players had absolutely no say in where they would play, how much money they would make, and/or if and when they ever got promoted to the Majors. They (the players) were literally the property of the team that signed them for life. And if they were traded to another team, they then literally became the property of that new team for life.

o

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

We should focus our ire on Martin, Broxton, and Wilkerson.  Guys that are easily removable who are awful.  Banging our heads the Chris Davis wall is going to serve no purpose. If he is on the tam 3 years from now we will have to deal with it. 

I have a surplus of ire.

And you left off Smith.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have a surplus of ire.

And you left off Smith.

Like I have said we should have DFA Tuesday.  We release a guy every Tuesday.  Keep the players on their toes. 

o

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 7/05))))))))) 

NUMBER 7

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS CHRISTOPHER LYDAVIS

o

6 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I was daydreaming about the Orioles having Chris Davis as a 51 year old DH, setting all kinds of weird records. Mostly ones beginning with “oldest”, “worst”, and “lowest”.

Add "longest."

If there are enough players like him, it will spur MLB to create a new DH2 rule, permitting managers to make a lineup that includes a second DH. By then rosters will have expanded to 27 players and the increased opp to be both DH and pitcher will have encouraged the development of more Ohtani-like players.