Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 hour ago, brooksfrankjim said:

You simply can’t play him.  He is having the worst major league season I have seen in my life.  Move Mancini to 1B.  Enough is enough.

I couldn't agree more.  The broadcasters seem to have been given a script to talk about Davis like he is in a slump.  He has a sub .500 OPS 1/3 of the way thru the season.  I had to laugh when I saw the graphic that Davis had a 1.000+ OPS career line in Toronto.  Like that has anything to do with 2018 Davis.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I couldn't agree more.  The broadcasters seem to have been given a script to talk about Davis like he is in a slump.  He has a sub .500 OPS 1/3 of the way thru the season.  I had to laugh when I saw the graphic that Davis had a 1.000+ OPS career line in Toronto.  Like that has anything to do with 2018 Davis.

And his OPS in Toronto in '17 was .596

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

They're gonna have to have a buyout.  No one would consider taking this contract on.

Not really, but ok.

He let Cobb hit and then pulled him the next play.   He is absolutely Davis bad. 

12 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The Slump as been going on since May 20 of last season.   

28 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

They're gonna have to have a buyout.  No one would consider taking this contract on.

Not really, but ok.

Davis has to be miserable. 

He isn’t going to accept a MiL assignment here. 

Best thing for him would be to go to another organization and play some in the minors. He needs a fresh start. 

I could see him accepting a buyout of some sorts where more money is deferred.  

On 3/4/2018 at 3:10 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Mark Reynolds memories ........

I remember when the Orioles' infield defense went through 3 stages in the 2012 season:

First 1/3 of the season:    )  Horrible overall, with glaring holes at both corners with Chris Davis at 1st base, and Mark Reynolds and Wilson Betemit at 3rd base.

Second 1/3 of the season:    )  Decent overall, with Mark Reynolds doing a good job taking over at 1st base, and Chris Davis moving to DH. One of the 2 glaring holes at the corners was filled (by Reynolds at 1st base), but we still had one left (at 3rd base.)

Final 1/3 of the season:     Excellent overall, with Manny Machado being promoted from AA-Bowie to the Orioles, filling the last glaring hole (3rd base) at the infield corners.

At the start of the 2013 season, I was concerned about Chris Davis being our regular 1st baseman because of the fact that he had played poorly there the year before in the first 1/3 of the season. But Davis played very well at 1st base in 2013, and the infield defense continued to be lights-out (picking up where it left off in the final 1/3 of the 2012 season.)

o

o

In the short run (2013 - 2015), it was probably better to have had Davis at 1st Base than Reynolds.

In the long run (2013 - 2019 and beyond), it probably would have been better to have gone with "The Toe" Reynolds, for numerous reasons.

It's all water under the bridge now, but it is interesting to (occasionally) ponder what might have been.

o

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Davis has to be miserable. 

He isn’t going to accept a MiL assignment here. 

Best thing for him would be to go to another organization and play some in the minors. He needs a fresh start. 

I could see him accepting a buyout of some sorts where more money is deferred.  

Why would another team want him in their minors?

It seems pretty clear to me that Peter Angelos was the driving force behind the Davis contract. I won’t say that Angelos has never admitted making a mistake, but I don’t recall his ever doing so, and I don’t expect him to do so with regard to signing Chris Davis to a long-term deal.

If what I said about Angelos and the Davis contract is accurate, I don’t expect decisive action — benching him, dfa-ing him, attempting to buy him out — this season. His starts and ABs will be reduced. That’s all.