Other teams’ discards. Any ideas?

HowAboutThat

26 minutes ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

Question: The O's have first chance in the AL and the Marlins have it in the NL. Could The O's ask the Marlins to claim a player and then trade intl slot money to the Marlins for that player?

To me it would be the same thing that we did with Phl in the rule 5 draft and we got Jackson.

The difference is, the Marlins’ 40-man roster presumably is currently full, so they can’t claim someone without DFAing somebody on their roster.    During the Rule 5 draft, the Phillies had openinings on their 40-man and didn’t need to DFA anyone to pick Jackson.  

As near as I can tell, the only guys who would actually be designated, would be guys who were out of options, or who are aging veterans who were signed as nonroster invitees, in which case they would have the same problems with us. But there may be some solid veterans who have opt outs And who would rather start on a bad team then be in the minors for a good team

14 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

It’s kind of funny that the Red Sox, who won the World Series, are talking about players that might be available on the waiver wire. If Nick Vincent Gets dumped, we should certainly jump on him.

Unless they are a significant upgrade somewhere, I don't see there being much waiver wire claims.

As mentioned, pitching would be about it, but it would have to be a starter. Everywhere else, I think they will run with what they have unless the player has options and provides something (Dwight Smith as a project, for example.)

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Unless they are a significant upgrade somewhere, I don't see there being much waiver wire claims.

As mentioned, pitching would be about it, but it would have to be a starter. Everywhere else, I think they will run with what they have unless the player has options and provides something (Dwight Smith as a project, for example.)

I would say most on this list are better than our 39th and 40th guys:

https://www.overthemonster.com/2019/3/15/18266936/red-sox-bullpen-depth-40-man-roster-waivers-free-agency

Archived