Dan Straily 2019

interloper

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Orioles are going to have to pay more if they really want to land Straily. Elias might not think that premium is worth it since he is building a team for the future and this year doesn’t matter. 

24 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Orioles are going to have to pay more if they really want to land Straily. Elias might not think that premium is worth it since he is building a team for the future and this year doesn’t matter. 

This year doesn't matter but we need some guys to eat some innings.  

I think it's valuable, even for a team where wins/losses don't matter to have a starter or two that can eat some innings and not get blown out of the water every start.  It saves the bullpen and morale is worth something in a young developing team. 

It's worth paying a guy like Strally 1/5.  He would come in and immediately be our best starter. 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I think it's valuable, even for a team where wins/losses don't matter to have a starter or two that can eat some innings and not get blown out of the water every start.  It saves the bullpen and morale is worth something in a young developing team. 

It's worth paying a guy like Strally 1/5.  He would come in and immediately be our best starter. 

If Cobb can’t out pitch Straily this year he will be shaping up to be an Ubaldo level bust.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If Cobb can’t out pitch Straily this year he will be shaping up to be an Ubaldo level bust.

Probably comparable stuff.  We could use another Cobb at 1/5.  We are paying this Cobb roughly 40 mil over the next three years. 

14 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Cobb definitely not worth his salary, but I like him over Straily if he can look more like the pitcher he was with the Rays.

172 hits allowed and 102 strike outs in 152 innings.  He wasn't as bad as he was in the first half but not as good as he was in the second half.  4.80 FIP.  I don't see Straily having any less upside. 

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

If any team felt he was worth $5 million, wouldn't they have claimed him on waivers, since that was his salary?

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

If any team felt he was worth $5 million, wouldn't they have claimed him on waivers, since that was his salary?

I'm not following the situation that closely.  It has been a buyer's market all off-season aside from a few top end guys.  If he can't get five million then I am just as comfortable giving him 3 or 4 million.  

We have a bottom five payroll.  I think we can afford it.  I think our fans and bullpen would appreciate it having a guy who can get through 5-6 innings consistently. 

14 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

What you don’t trust Cobb, Cashner, Bundy, Hess and Wright?

Ok maybe Elias needs to add one innings eater. 

According to Baseball Reference: the league average for starts is 5.4 innings.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2018-starter-pitching.shtml

Average innings per start for last year's "incumbent" starters:

Hess: 5.3

Bundy: 5.5

Cobb: 5.4

Cashner: 5.5

FYI, Straily was 5.3 last year and if you stretch it out to hundreds he was lower than Hess.

The guys we have are fine, especially if you're not concerned with winning this year.  If it's an innings eater you want, there are probably better options than Straily for 5 million per year.

OK-Going against the tide on this. Signe him for 1/5 mil.

This is a risk/reward situation for the O's.

Dan will not move the needle. Is Dan a great pitcher: NO. Is he a good pitcher. What is good?

RISKS: Pay/lose 5 mil for a year. Pitches worst in the A/L East. 

AWARDS: Has one more year of control for 2020. Could be traded at the deadline and then only cost 2.5 mil (approx.). Could/would allow the O's to trade Cobb and or Cashner easier.

For 2020 both Trumbo and Cashner's contracts are done. Cashner needs 207 inns for his option to vest. We have only two players contracts for 2020, with (at now) 35 mil payroll for the team in 2020. We have 11 players that are arbitration eligible for 2020. Villar , Bundy and Givens are the highest. Lastly I think it shows the team and the fans that we are trying to improve (small steps)

29 minutes ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

OK-Going against the tide on this. Signe him for 1/5 mil.

This is a risk/reward situation for the O's.

Dan will not move the needle. Is Dan a great pitcher: NO. Is he a good pitcher. What is good?

RISKS: Pay/lose 5 mil for a year. Pitches worst in the A/L East. 

AWARDS: Has one more year of control for 2020. Could be traded at the deadline and then only cost 2.5 mil (approx.). Could/would allow the O's to trade Cobb and or Cashner easier.

For 2020 both Trumbo and Cashner's contracts are done. Cashner needs 207 inns for his option to vest. We have only two players contracts for 2020, with (at now) 35 mil payroll for the team in 2020. We have 11 players that are arbitration eligible for 2020. Villar , Bundy and Givens are the highest. Lastly I think it shows the team and the fans that we are trying to improve (small steps)

Again, it seems unlikely to me that any team will offer him $5 million.  No team claimed him on waivers at a salary of $5 million.  Why would a team turn around and offer him that much when they passed on paying him that much a few days ago?  Just seems illogical to me.  Miami owes him $1 million or so for cutting him before the season after tendering him a contract.  I'm guessing he's offered $3 million or so.  Maybe 4.  Anything's possible, but I'd be surprised if any team pays him as much as they could already have gotten him for if they had wanted to.

Archived