Ryan McKenna 2019

Luke-OH

On 8/11/2019 at 2:00 PM, DirtyBird said:

McKenna was pinch hit for in the 4th inning today.

On 8/11/2019 at 3:42 PM, orioles22 said:

It seems like he left midgame earlier in the week. He may have some lingering issue.

McKenna non-chalanted a ball in Sunday's game while playing left that allowed a runner to tag from 2nd and 3rd. Then yesterday, he did something similar and it allowed a runner to score from first base on a ball into LC that should not have scored the runner. I'm going to say this benching was a "teaching moment" for a young player. He's physically fine.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

McKenna non-chalanted a ball in Sunday's game while playing left that allowed a runner to tag from 2nd and 3rd. Then yesterday, he did something similar and it allowed a runner to score from first base on a ball into LC that should not have scored the runner. I'm going to say this benching was a "teaching moment" for a young player. He's physically fine.

Glad to hear he isn't hurt. Too bad the Orioles don't have the depth to do the same with Santander when he slacks off defensively.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Glad to hear he isn't hurt. Too bad the Orioles don't have the depth to do the same with Santander when he slacks off defensively.

My friend who is a scout thinks Satander might have some slight injury.He was DHing a few games back for a few games. Since they have put him back in the outfield, he does not seem the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious what he's been doing lately so I decided to look up his splits. In the last 28 days, McKenna has:

24 games
85 PAs
71 ABs
13 BBs
21 Ks
3 stolen bases
3 caught stealing
9 hits
.127 BA
.262 OBP
.389 OPS
9 total bases

I hope the injury rumor was right. He's hit a wall.

10 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I was curious what he's been doing lately so I decided to look up his splits. In the last 28 days, McKenna has:

24 games
85 PAs
71 ABs
13 BBs
21 Ks
3 stolen bases
3 caught stealing
9 hits
.127 BA
.262 OBP
.389 OPS
9 total bases

I hope the injury rumor was right. He's hit a wall.

85 PA is a long time to go without an extra base hit.    He did go 2 for 4 yesterday, so let’s hope he’s snapping out of it.    

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

1-4 w/ a 2B yesterday. 2-4 each of the prior two games.

Triple and an HBP in his first two appearances today, hopefully he finishes strong.

Regardless, his OPS is still higher than league average and as a 22-year-old plus defensive centerfielder with a very good walk rate who will have played 190+ AA games, that is good enough for me to get him the bump up to Norfolk next year. 

Hopefully the AAA happy fun balls will help him out next year.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Triple and an HBP in his first two appearances today, hopefully he finishes strong.

Regardless, his OPS is still higher than league average and as a 22-year-old plus defensive centerfielder with a very good walk rate who will have played 190+ AA games, that is good enough for me to get him the bump up to Norfolk next year. 

Hopefully the AAA happy fun balls will help him out next year.

He’s striking out too much. AAA balls won’t help with that.

11 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He’s striking out too much. AAA balls won’t help with that.

Is he? His k/bb ratio is right around 2:1, and his 21 percent strikeout rate is around league average among qualifiers.

His OBP is 90 points higher than his batting average. I think the AAA balls should bring his batting average up, as his BABIP is .285, which is well off his career average and feels like a little bit of bad luck with his speed.

27 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Is he? His k/bb ratio is right around 2:1, and his 21 percent strikeout rate is around league average among qualifiers.

His OBP is 90 points higher than his batting average. I think the AAA balls should bring his batting average up, as his BABIP is .285, which is well off his career average and feels like a little bit of bad luck with his speed.

My eyeballs say yes, he K's too much. Especially for a guy that has some pop, but is not bringing a whole lot of power.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

his OPS is still higher than league average

56 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

his 21 percent strikeout rate is around league average among qualifiers.

I get that when you add age, speed and defense, it's a decent profile, but pointing out league average offense in AA is, to me, essentially damning with faint praise.

It's fine, but not for a top prospect. I think he needs to hit significantly better to have any significant ML value, and I don't have confidence that's going to happen.

I mean, if we're happy with a 4/5th outfielder profile, that's fine. I just think you can find them essentially anywhere.

• Upvote 1