Attendance 2019

Frobby

Nineteen of the 30 teams have seen their average fall from a similar point last year, with the largest drops in Toronto (6,963), San Francisco (6,463), Baltimore (3,839) and Detroit (3,686).

Large rises have taken place for Philadelphia (10,383), Oakland (4,027), San Diego (3,465) and the Chicago White Sox (2,311). The Phillies signed Bryce Harper and the Padres added Manny Machado.

MLB’s average peaked at 32,785 in 2007 — the last year before the Great Recession and the next-to-last season before the New York Yankees and Mets moved to smaller stadiums. The average was at 30,517 in 2015 before sliding for three straight years, and last season’s final figure of 28,830 marked a 4% drop, the overall number hurt by unusually cold and wet weather early in the season.

Despite a sparkling, eight-season-old ballpark with a retractable roof, Miami is averaging 9,554 in Derek Jeter’s second season as chief executive — below the 9,582 average for Triple-A Las Vegas in its first season at a new 10,000-capacity stadium.

Tampa Bay plays in one of the most outmoded facilities in the major leagues and drew 5,786 against the Blue Jays on Tuesday, the smallest home crowd for the Rays, who started play at Tropicana Field in 1998.

Having traded many veterans, the Orioles are 28th in the majors at 16,263. Baltimore topped 2 million in 21 of its first 25 seasons at Camden Yards, exceeding 3 million nine times. But the Orioles drew 6,585 against Oakland on April 8, the lowest in the ballpark’s 28-season history except for a 2015 game closed to the public at a time when the city was plagued by rioting.

“I wish fans were here. When we played in Wrigley, the energy level was off the charts,” first-year Orioles manager Brandon Hyde said. “I’m hoping that someday soon that will be the case here.”

AP - https://apnews.com/6a7ffdc19830442fb968492024428e89

• Thanks 1

o

3-Game Set vs. GIANTS ))))))) (May 30th, June 1st, and June 2nd)

17,545 )l) (38% Full)

19,352 )l) (42% Full)

16,991 )l) (37% Full)

TOTAL lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll  53,888

3-GAME AVERAGElllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 17,963

o

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Hmm.....we are now on a pace for 49 wins...2 better than last year.  Attendance will reflect this. .

The record is identical with this point last year. At home, the Orioles are 1-8-1 in 10 series, for an 8-23 mark.   In short, if you go to a home game, you have a 2 out of 3 chance of watching a loss, same as 2018.

• Upvote 1

I read today that the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra has cancelled its summer concert series.  As an outsider looking in, it seems all I ever read about the city recently is negative.  I love the Orioles, but it seems the city has developed a major image problem.

5 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

I read today that the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra has cancelled its summer concert series.  As an outsider looking in, it seems all I ever read about the city recently is negative.  I love the Orioles, but it seems the city has developed a major image problem.

The aquarium is still super nice right and everyone love Mr Trash Wheel.

1 hour ago, rudyrooster said:

The symphony's problem is their audience is dying out.  They are playing the conductor a million dollars a year.  I have been to the symphony a lot.  Most of their patrons are 70+.  Peter Angelos was a big supporter.   Nice facility but the audience just doesn't exist anymore for classical music.  

7 hours ago, atomic said:

The symphony's problem is their audience is dying out.  They are playing the conductor a million dollars a year.  I have been to the symphony a lot.  Most of their patrons are 70+.  Peter Angelos was a big supporter.   Nice facility but the audience just doesn't exist anymore for classical music.  

Probably some similarities to baseball.  Older audience, difficult to attract younger people especially with fracturing of the media environment.  I'm guessing a lot of people think it's great baseball and the symphony exist, but wouldn't actually go and spend money unless there was a really good reason.

19 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Probably some similarities to baseball.  Older audience, difficult to attract younger people especially with fracturing of the media environment.  I'm guessing a lot of people think it's great baseball and the symphony exist, but wouldn't actually go and spend money unless there was a really good reason.

So you're saying the BSO needs to find a good streaming platform to broadcast their product to keep up with the modern era?    ;)

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

So you're saying the BSO needs to find a good streaming platform to broadcast their product to keep up with the modern era?    ;)

Maybe.  I think they're probably tanking the season so they can get that bassoon player from Colorado State at 1:1.  But everyone knows you don't win championships with bassoon players.  Trumpets are where it's at, which they'd know if they'd embraced analytics.

The O’s drew 172,327 fans in home games 21-30, compared to 222,861 last year.    Through 30 home games:

2016: 707,151 (32.5% of full season)

2017: 842,541 (41.5% of full year attendance)

2018: 594,416 (38.0% of full year attendance)

2019: 470,343

If current attendance is 32.5% of total, that projects to 1.447 mm.   At 38.0% it projects to 1.238 mm.   At 41.5% it projects to 1.134 mm.   I think the middle figure is probably the best bet.    

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

The O’s drew 172,327 fans in home games 21-30, compared to 222,861 last year.    Through 30 home games:

2016: 707,151 (32.5% of full season)

2017: 842,541 (41.5% of full year attendance)

2018: 594,416 (38.0% of full year attendance)

2019: 470,343

If current attendance is 32.5% of total, that projects to 1.447 mm.   At 38.0% it projects to 1.238 mm.   At 41.5% it projects to 1.134 mm.   I think the middle figure is probably the best bet.    

Be interesting to see what they draw against the almost as bad Blow Jays.Two promotions during the week but not sure what boost it will be.Red Sox series should boost attendance a lityle.Red Sox not exactly playing that great again. Offense is sluggish with Martinez out.Three promotions this weekend.That fedora hat is amazing.?.If they dont get around 80,000 or more this weekend, might be a real low attendance year.

o

3-Game Set vs. RED SOX ))))))) (June 14th, 15th, and 16th)

19,383 )l) (42% Full)

30,050 )l) (65% Full)

27,964 )l) (61% Full)

TOTAL lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll  77,397

3-GAME AVERAGElllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 25,799

o

1 hour ago, orpheus100 said:

I don't think the attendance has been as bad as it could be.

I can agree with that.  Some folks appear to be willing to watch rebuilding baseball now that it appears we have some sort of positive direction.  Summer with school being out should also be a boost to attendance.  The GoT theme night being sold out definitely helped, and the Jimmy Buffet thing looked like it brought some positive numbers as well.  But not every night can be theme night, and the giveaways aside from theme nights have gone back to being underwhelming after a few good years of giveaways.