Mike Baumann 2019

Luke-OH

On 7/13/2019 at 1:54 PM, Luke-OH said:

No, the ace comment is basically just saying that calling any prospect an ace is usually irresponsible.

This is how I see Baumann.

#3 SP ceiling if command ticks up another half grade and either the changeup improves considerably or the command of the curveball improves considerably.

My projection is a 50, which is a huge jump for him. That’s #4/high end #5 or a high end set up reliever. I think the high end relief is probably a better fit/more likely with no further development of the Change or curve.

The floor is middle relief if command is exposed against major league bats. 

14 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Mike Baumann is thru 8 IP with his no-hitter. He hit 97 MPH in the 8th inning and using a 90-91 slider to dominate. He has 8 Ks thru 8 IP. This is a breakout type of performance.

Without you two, I'm not sure anyone who is not part of the organization would have any idea about the type of breakout year Baumann is having. You were early on this one.

Hopefully this breakout continues. It's hard to know in the relatively early stages whether he'll continue to grow, plateau where he's at now, or fizzle into something like a flash in the pan. It'll be fun to keep watching though.

45 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Without you two, I'm not sure anyone who is not part of the organization would have any idea about the type of breakout year Baumann is having. You were early on this one.

Hopefully this breakout continues. It's hard to know in the relatively early stages whether he'll continue to grow, plateau where he's at now, or fizzle into something like a flash in the pan. It'll be fun to keep watching though.

@justDhad us go to Frederick last season to watch both Lowther and Baumann. They impressed. 

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I heard Grimsley bring up Baumann specifically yesterday as a guy he liked but he needed to better his change up to get lefties out in the MLB. I was higher on Kremer before I read Tony’s post about his stuff being down this year. Hoping Kremer’s early issues were injury related. With that being said I’ve been thinking the groups were,

Group A(Potential TOR)

Hall, Rodriguez 

Group B(Mid rotation)

Akin, Kremer, Harvey(wildcard)

Group C (Back of Rotation/Swingman/reliever)

Wells, Lowther, Zimmerman, Baumann, Knight, Hanifee, Sedlock, Rom

Early on it’s looking like next year that NCAA SP will probably be the pick in the draft. Way too early, but it would be nice to add another TOR potential arm. 

My guess is it's more like this:

Group A(Potential TOR)

Hall, Rodriguez 

Group B(Mid rotation)

Baumann, Lowther, Hanifee

Group C (Back of Rotation/Swingman/reliever)

Wells, Zimmerman, Knight, Sedlock, Rom, Akin, Kremer, Harvey(wildcard)

Notes:
I could be too bullish on Hanifee/Lowther and not quite enough on Kremer.
I do agree that Harvey is a total wildcard though.
I'd argue Sedlock is a wildcard too, and could see his ceiling as mid rotation starter, though with a sort of low probability.

32 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

Give me one more stud performance like the one last night and he'd for sure be in the GrayRod, Hall group for me.

Another complete game no hitter? J/k

It will take a lot for him to be in that group. There is an ocean in between them and the rest of the pitching prospects in the org. Age and stuff are on their side. 

But it’s hard for me not to have Baumann at the front of the next group. Lowther and Wells just don’t have the fastball to easily project to big league success. If Baumann and Akin can be a 3/4 combo in a rotation, then we’re starting to build something. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Another complete game no hitter? J/k

It will take a lot for him to be in that group. There is an ocean in between them and the rest of the pitching prospects in the org. Age and stuff are on their side. 

But it’s hard for me not to have Baumann at the front of the next group. Lowther and Wells just don’t have the fastball to easily project to big league success. If Baumann and Akin can be a 3/4 combo in a rotation, then we’re starting to build something. 

Akin might not be able to live up to his part of that bargain. There are several guys on the horizon though. It's possible one or more step up. We will need them to, for sure. The probabilities of even the top guys in our group becoming exactly what we're hoping for are probably pretty small.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Screw that guy

Not in so many words, but yeah. If Baumann is throwing 97 in the 8th inning with a dominant slider as Tony says, that is a bit more than a relief prospect. As Luke said, he may well end up in relief if the curve and/or change don't improve, but I don't think he can be dismissed as a relief prospect. Hope we can dunk on Law on that prognostication in a year or two.

Law probably doesn't change his opinions too easily, and typically I'm guessing he shouldn't. 

What I think people may already forget, or maybe just minimize, is that our organization turned 180 degrees when Elias got here. That means pitchers with one profile last year are getting a totally different look and feedback from the organization right now. Some were bound to blossom. Is Baumann's transition to future #2/3 starter complete? Of course not. Is it out of the question that he's in the middle of just such a transition? I'd say no. 

Even though you can't project him as a #2/3 starter right now, I do think he's a starter prospect with relief being closer to his floor than his mid-case at this point. At least, I hope that's what I'm hearing.

• Upvote 2