Can Means become the Orioles’ version of Kuechel?

Obando

1 hour ago, Obando said:

Both were never highly rated prospects in their respective systems, but worked their way up the ladder, made it to the majors, and in the case of Kuechel, has had a ton of success despite lacking dominant stuff. Both are lefties that have good control/command and great changeups, and so far from what I’ve seen from Means, he’s not scared out on the mound.  He has some moxie and poise, just like Kuechel.  I love how he stood up to Yandy Diaz after he threw up and in on him, Yandy shot him a dirty look, and Means said “What are you looking at?” to him with a serious face.  Then Means proceeded to strike him out on the next pitch.  It was a thing of beauty!

Kuechel ended up becoming a major part of the Astros’ success during their rebuild, and the Orioles are in the early stages of their rebuild right now.  Maybe I’m just excited after watching Means close out this game against the Rays, but in general, I’ve been very impressed with him so far this season.

If the Orioles have any luck at all, Means will become that unexpected top of the rotation type of starter that the Astros ended up getting with Kuechel unexpectedly.  I’m not suggesting Means will win 20 games and become a Cy Young winner, but I don’t see any reason why he can’t become a staple of the rotation for many years to come based on what he’s shown me so far.

Nice post. I’ve honestly not watched much this year, but am excited to check out Means next time he’s out there. If he can develop into a fourth or fifth starter even that would be huge. 

Then we can call him John Means Business.

8 hours ago, Obando said:

Both were never highly rated prospects in their respective systems, but worked their way up the ladder, made it to the majors, and in the case of Kuechel, has had a ton of success despite lacking dominant stuff. Both are lefties that have good control/command and great changeups, and so far from what I’ve seen from Means, he’s not scared out on the mound.  He has some moxie and poise, just like Kuechel.  I love how he stood up to Yandy Diaz after he threw up and in on him, Yandy shot him a dirty look, and Means said “What are you looking at?” to him with a serious face.  Then Means proceeded to strike him out on the next pitch.  It was a thing of beauty!

Kuechel ended up becoming a major part of the Astros’ success during their rebuild, and the Orioles are in the early stages of their rebuild right now.  Maybe I’m just excited after watching Means close out this game against the Rays, but in general, I’ve been very impressed with him so far this season.

If the Orioles have any luck at all, Means will become that unexpected top of the rotation type of starter that the Astros ended up getting with Kuechel unexpectedly.  I’m not suggesting Means will win 20 games and become a Cy Young winner, but I don’t see any reason why he can’t become a staple of the rotation for many years to come based on what he’s shown me so far.

His velocity is up 4 or so MPH right? I mean, he's routinely touching 94. And to my eyes, it looked like he has really good movement on the FB and CH. I'm not sure that his breaking pitch is too great, but a lefty with that velocity, movement and CH?

If I didn't know already I would have thought he'd be at least a top 10 prospect in our system. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy

I’ve asked before why Means wasn’t rated among our top prospects and the general reply was that until his change developed, he wasn’t anything. Now his ceiling is 5th starter, which isn’t nothing.

It’s way too early to be comparing with Keuchel, John has what, 10-12 career innings? But I feel good when he comes into a game, and I scream “noooo” when he is removed. I certainly didn’t want to see Phillips replacing Fry, for example, and I was wondering why Means wasn’t called in.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’ve asked before why Means wasn’t rated among our top prospects and the general reply was that until his change developed, he wasn’t anything. Now his ceiling is 5th starter, which isn’t nothing.

It’s way too early to be comparing with Keuchel, John has what, 10-12 career innings? But I feel good when he comes into a game, and I scream “noooo” when he is removed. I certainly didn’t want to see Phillips replacing Fry, for example, and I was wondering why Means wasn’t called in.

I suspect Means being their occasional spot starter, isnt going to get too many bullpen calls, saving him for long relief or a pop up start.

I can't remember the last time I have seen a changeup that good on the Orioles. Looks like he has added some velocity from what was reported on him in the minors, which makes the changeup all the more effective.

I was watching Rays feed. On the last batter, the count got to 3-2 and the announcer immediately predicted the change. Great call by Severino there and execution by Means.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I can't remember the last time I have seen a changeup that good on the Orioles. Looks like he has added some velocity from what was reported on him in the minors, which makes the changeup all the more effective.

I was watching Rays feed. On the last batter, the count got to 3-2 and the announcer immediately predicted the change. Great call by Severino there and execution by Means.

It was probably Mussina's circle change. That pitch was nasty.