Can Means become the Orioles’ version of Kuechel?

Obando

TONYLUKE

theres a bunch of folks who wanna know:

Is this sustainable? 

At what point does SSS become “the new normal?” How many innings?

When other teams say “lay off the change and wait for the X,” what’s gonna happen?

2 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Mancini and Means are the early bright spots on this team. Hopefully we are seeing two of the pieces of a future contending Oriole team.

But there are other enjoyable players, right?

That was an impressive game and today is probably my first day somewhat open to the notion he is someone who could pitch some innings for 2022's team.  I imagine in the next few turns hitters will start to think about him a good deal more seriously - he's distinguished himself from "any 6.00 ERA Oriole".

8 hours ago, ChuckS said:

You can't just lay off the change if you think it's a fastball.  That's why a great changeup is so important in today's game.  Left handers that have a good one tend to have long major league careers.  

Paddack reminds the world about the power of a glorious change up, what a beautiful pitch.

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

Anytime you 3-hit the Red Sox, you're doing something right. Dude's legit. 

I’m feeling optimistic, but “legit” doesn’t come from one start, or even a handful.    “Legit” comes when the whole league has seen a guy a couple of times and they still can’t do much against him.    That said, Means’ change-up is a weapon.  I think Hyde is right to keep encouraging Means to throw his breaking pitches, so that hitters can’t just sit back and wait on a two-pitch mix.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I’m feeling optimistic, but “legit” doesn’t come from one start, or even a handful.    “Legit” comes when the whole league has seen a guy a couple of times and they still can’t do much against him.    That said, Means’ change-up is a weapon.  I think Hyde is right to keep encouraging Means to throw his breaking pitches, so that hitters can’t just sit back and wait on a two-pitch mix.  

I think one of his biggest weapons is he kind of throws his fastball all over the zone. It doesn't hang out in the middle of the plate, and it's got kind of a weirdly variable speed at times.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn't get to watch last night. It looks like he threw a lot more breaking pitches.. And he didn't get shelled? Did they look passable enough? Threw them as strikes?