Chris Davis since he broke his 0-fer streak

Tony-OH

As an aside, did anyone notice during the SF series that Pablo Sandoval has somehow transformed back into a decent baseball player?    The Red Sox ate 2.5 years of his 5/$90 mm deal after he hit .646 OPS for them and missed a bunch of time, and then last year he crawled back to decent (.727 OPS) and this year has been downright good (.889).    That’s the kind of thing that could give the Angelos brothers delusions that Davis may be salvageable.   But the fact is, Davis 2018-19 is about 100 OPS points below Sandoval’s Boston numbers.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

As an aside, did anyone notice during the SF series that Pablo Sandoval has somehow transformed back into a decent baseball player?    The Red Sox ate 2.5 years of his 5/$90 mm deal after he hit .646 OPS for them and missed a bunch of time, and then last year he crawled back to decent (.727 OPS) and this year has been downright good (.889).    That’s the kind of thing that could give the Angelos brothers delusions that Davis may be salvageable.   But the fact is, Davis 2018-19 is about 100 OPS points below Sandoval’s Boston numbers.

It's telling that in a year where homers are up across the league, Davis can't really take advantage like some other guys.

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

How about the O's run a promotion where if they sell 10,000 new 13 game season ticket plans than they will reward the new ST holders and DFA Davis.

I might even buy a plan if it would mean never hearing his name again.

Unfortunately, even with the purchase it is a name we are going to keep hearing.  Even he is released.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Now that Stewart is here, we're officially one player away from it being a real problem. For example, if Trumbo somehow makes it back, there's going to be a move we all don't like, whether it's DFAing Nunez or Ruiz, or optioning Stewart. They already had to get rid of their most versatile guy in Wilkerson. 

That said - the easy way out of this without releasing Davis is to trade Mancini. Which I think they would be insane not to do this summer. But it does give them more wiggle room with Davis, which is the downside.

As Frobby points out earlier, the Orioles are not going to be good so it may delay a move. But you are correct, it's going to become a real problem that impacts the club working to get better.  Mancini probably should be traded, Trumbo may not make it back and even if he does he is gone at the end of the year.  But if either of those guys stay on the roster and Chris Davis is still here....someone is not getting a chance to prove they should be here.  And Chris Davis, performing very poorly for a team that isn't exactly setting the bar high.

I still think he is gone soon, but the pressure isn't really forcing it yet, but it is starting to build. 

8 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Unfortunately, even with the purchase it is a name we are going to keep hearing.  Even he is released.

As Frobby points out earlier, the Orioles are not going to be good so it may delay a move. But you are correct, it's going to become a real problem that impacts the club working to get better.  Mancini probably should be traded, Trumbo may not make it back and even if he does he is gone at the end of the year.  But if either of those guys stay on the roster and Chris Davis is still here....someone is not getting a chance to prove they should be here.  And Chris Davis, performing very poorly for a team that isn't exactly setting the bar high.

I still think he is gone soon, but the pressure isn't really forcing it yet, but it is starting to build. 

He won't be gone in-season. Especially in a throw-away year. But the off-season is a different story.

You guys think Nunez has enough value to be traded instead of Mancini? 

It would really suck to lose a 25 year old power hitter but Mancini is the better all around offensive player and can at least masquarade as an outfielder and play soild first base while Nunez struggles defensively.  

A temporary solution would be a to cut Trumbo which I think they do after his DL time is up. 

2 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

You guys think Nunez has enough value to be traded instead of Mancini? 

It would really suck to lose a 25 year old power hitter but Mancini is the better all around offensive player and can at least masquarade as an outfielder and play soild first base while Nunez struggles defensively.  

A temporary solution would be a to cut Trumbo which I think they do after his DL time is up. 

Trumbo won't be back in 2020. If it was my decision I cut him, but Elias probably has to run that by the Angelos brothers first. Trumbo even if he plays well has about zero trade value other than potential salary relief. He has been out since last August and his numbers were mediocre at best before the injury. 

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Trumbo won't be back in 2020. If it was my decision I cut him, but Elias probably has to run that by the Angelos brothers first. Trumbo even if he plays well has about zero trade value other than potential salary relief. He has been out since last August and his numbers were mediocre at best before the injury. 

Trumbo should be cut but remember last year they got someone to pick O’Days salary including deferred amount. Trumbo has deferred salary again.  Maybe the figure if you package him with Bundy you can get 75k in International slots back.

52 minutes ago, atomic said:

Trumbo should be cut but remember last year they got someone to pick O’Days salary including deferred amount. Trumbo has deferred salary again.  Maybe the figure if you package him with Bundy you can get 75k in International slots back.

Yeah but that was only because we let them rip us off on Gausman.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes, I was also struck by this: Never thought the Panda would make it back. He must feel at home in SF with all his adoring fans. And, as you imply, it's probably not going to happen with Davis: Sandoval never looked as bad as Davis has these past two seasons.

Archived