Trade Value Power Rankings

El_Duderino

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not that it’s likely, but the O’s have an option on Cashner for 2020 that vests if he throws 187 innings — he’s on pace for 182 right now.   His highest past innings total was 184.1, so I’m not too worried about that contingency, but it’s theoretically possible.    Of course, to approach that number he’d have to have a very good season and stay 100% healthy.    

Good call, didn't know that.  

I think people need to come to the harsh reality that no one on the roster is a "core" piece.  Mountcastle, Akin, Diaz and Hays will all be up sometime in the semi-near future and then we can worry about who's a core piece. Stewart, DSJ, Ruiz and Means may end up being solid rotational pieces in the coming years but this roster is devoid of a "core" piece.

2 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I think people need to come to the harsh reality that no one on the roster is a "core" piece.  Mountcastle, Akin, Diaz and Hays will all be up sometime in the semi-near future and then we can worry about who's a core piece. Stewart, DSJ, Ruiz and Means may end up being solid rotational pieces in the coming years but this roster is devoid of a "core" piece.

I am not saying Mancini is a core piece, but if he has truly taken a significant step forward offensively, he could be one.   Hitters with a .900 OPS don’t grow on trees.    Obviously, the fact that he’s had a good 40 games doesn’t establish that he’s now a guy who can sustain a .900 OPS over 162 games, or do that on a regular basis.   But it’s possible he’s developing into that, or close.    

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am not saying Mancini is a core piece, but if he has truly taken a significant step forward offensively, he could be one.   Hitters with a .900 OPS don’t grow on trees.    Obviously, the fact that he’s had a good 40 games doesn’t establish that he’s now a guy who can sustain a .900 OPS over 162 games, or do that on a regular basis.   But it’s possible he’s developing into that, or close.    

I love Mancini but I'm not sure his career trajectory tracks well with the Orioles as they are currently constructed. Mountcastle has a very high ceiling with his bat and he's only barely 22. Mancini is 27, is pretty much forced to play in the OF for the next 3 years at least where unfortunately, he's never going to be even average out there. His arb years perfectly coincide with the end of Davis' contract but I think it would be unwise to give a 31 year old defensive liability a multi-year contract.

5 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I love Mancini but I'm not sure his career trajectory tracks well with the Orioles as they are currently constructed. Mountcastle has a very high ceiling with his bat and he's only barely 22. Mancini is 27, is pretty much forced to play in the OF for the next 3 years at least where unfortunately, he's never going to be even average out there. His arb years perfectly coincide with the end of Davis' contract but I think it would be unwise to give a 31 year old defensive liability a multi-year contract.

It’s a fair point.    The circumstances of our team may preclude him from being a good fit even if his offensive game truly blossoms.    Of course, the jury is still out on whether Davis will play well enough to be retained.   

Anyway, BB-ref keeps a list of the top 100 active OPS hitters, minimum 3000 PA (which Mancini doesn’t have).   Here’s a breakdown of that list:

.900+: 6 players

.850-.899: 14

.800-.849: 22

.750-.799: 43

.726-.759: 15

Mancini’s current career OPS is .795, which would put him 43rd on the list if he qualified.    There’s a decent chance he’ll be well north of that by the time he reaches 3000 PA.   But we’ll see.  

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Moose made a very valid point. When GM’s look at our team what do they see that they want.

Nothing. The answer is nothing. We have some guys who are better than replacement level, but we have nobody who would benefit a contending team, and a non-contending team wouldn’t be interested. Who are the Fringe contenders? The Rockies? The Diamondbacks? The Braves? Maybe the Mariners(although they’ve been shooting them selves in the foot quite a bit over the last month)

Do we have anybody who would benefit any of those teams? No, we don’t. Nobody. I despised Dan for years Because personnel  moves are the GM’s responsibility, and so many of the moves were unthinkably stupid even at the time that they were made. He’s been gone since last fall, for which may God be praised, but the effects of those unthinking moves will be felt for a very long time.

Gotta disagree. There are several bullpen needy teams already. I see Givens being plenty attractive.

I wanted to use this thread to compare Mancini to JD Martinez, so I looked up their stats. In short, they're not really comparable. Lol. JD has torn up every level of baseball. He just took a while to really adjust to the majors. 

With that said, while I doubt Mancini puts up 150+ OPS+ numbers every year, his track record suggests he'll continue to hit. The now value for a contender, plus the cost and service time all suggests that he would demand a decent haul, IMO. 

3 hours ago, Aglets said:

Wonder how well Mark Trumbo would have to hit in order to have trade value this summer.................

.950?

The Kendrys Morales AL DH tour is going to make it hard for him to establish any.  I'm kind of pulling for Morales to set a record for most teams in a year.  He already has 3, and his DFA by the Yankees should be along in a month or so when someone out of Stanton/Judge/Didi gets back. 

The Indians really can't hit so maybe they'd take a turn.  If Ohtani needs to focus on pitching rehab at some point, maybe the Angels for a few weeks.  Heck if Trumbo is scorching and gets a minor prospect and we want to hold Mountcastle at Norfolk all summer, even we have to finish out the season.

I'd guess Trumbo and Morales might also fit NL teams as September pinch-hitters - the Phillies had erstwhile everyday guy Justin Bour in that role at the end of last year.

59 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Gotta disagree. There are several bullpen needy teams already. I see Givens being plenty attractive.

Seconded.  And of course the Nationals are in their traditional bullpen-poor disappointment mode.  If there's one thing that could be truly exciting before the draft, it would be a Givens trade to specifically the Nationals, as that would be a sign of Elias's total freedom to navigate the market.

On Mancini, the leading indicator to me if he's being showcased for the trade market will be if he gets an extended stint at 1B.  His OF defense minus is a known known. but I'm not sure the world yet knows what caliber of defensive 1B he would be with regular time there.  Good Mancini might be a nice 1B improvement for maybe wildcard contending teams like Washington, Arizona, Colorado, LA Angels.

9 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Seconded.  And of course the Nationals are in their traditional bullpen-poor disappointment mode.  If there's one thing that could be truly exciting before the draft, it would be a Givens trade to specifically the Nationals, as that would be a sign of Elias's total freedom to navigate the market.

On Mancini, the leading indicator to me if he's being showcased for the trade market will be if he gets an extended stint at 1B.  His OF defense minus is a known known. but I'm not sure the world yet knows what caliber of defensive 1B he would be with regular time there.  Good Mancini might be a nice 1B improvement for maybe wildcard contending teams like Washington, Arizona, Colorado, LA Angels.

Mashing 1B guys are the easiest to find. They could even call Danny Valencia off the couch. Mancini wouldn’t bring back anything meaningful, and he’s best kept anyway.

Givens has a 3.22 FIP, which is good, but he’s only thrown 18.2 innings, which is not indicative of anything(SSS) and he has mixed results when used for more than 3-4 outs. He may have some value but not a significant amount.