Trade Value Power Rankings

El_Duderino

If Mancini keeps hitting as his current level I think he will have more trade value than Givens.  Givens is good but not particularly unique as a bullpen arm. Mancini could be coming off an All-Star appearance and be attractive to a team in need of some offense.  

I agree that those four you mentioned are the only likely tradable commodities.  Cobb would have come back, stay healthy, and be effective to even become worth of a salary dump trade.  Still ahead of Davis though.  

I might flip/flop Villar and Cashner just because of the extra year of team control, but it's close.  Starting pitching always carries a premium. 

EDIT:  You forgot about Bundy.  If he's performing well in July he probably has more trade value than any of the players you listed.  As of now, I'd put him on par with Mancini and Givens just because of the potential.  His fastball is gone, possibly never to return but he can still be very good if his fastball command improves.  His secondaries are that good. 

Players in their first season pre-arb will not be on the trading block. Those are the type of players we will be looking to add, not move. 

I think the point of the OP was to speculate on the value of players who are likely to be traded. 

• Upvote 1

The OP is likely correct. It will be interesting to see what Mike Elias does in this realm. 

He may not get a higher end prospect, but Bleier is likely right after those four. A reliable LH in a pen should be in demand, as long as he’s healthy. 

Miguel Castro could make some sense, but he may stick around if the Orioles feel like he is closer/high leverage material and increase his value for next year. 

I was hopeful Cobb made it back in time, but that seems unlikely now. 

If Straily can get on track somehow, he may be the only other one of any note. But then he may be just as likely to be released by mid June. 

Means is the only guy I would have to be blown away with to let go of. If you squint hard enough, you can see him part of the next Orioles playoff team. Everyone else, I'll take pretty much anything in the other teams top 20 prospects for. 

5 minutes ago, canonfaz said:

Means is the only guy I would have to be blown away with to let go of. If you squint hard enough, you can see him part of the next Orioles playoff team. Everyone else, I'll take pretty much anything in the other teams top 20 prospects for. 

I'd want more than the Red Sox's #20 prospect for Givens.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'd want more than the Red Sox's #20 prospect for Givens.

I would to, but unless he's lights out until the deadline, we're not getting much more. I doubt we would even pay him his ARB2 money next year if we don't trade him. Hopefully we can get a top 100 guy for him, but that's not where my expectations are. That's what I'd be asking for though to start with.

6 hours ago, Philip said:

1)Means.

2-25) everyone else.

I thought it was too early to peg Means’s value. It’s been less than 40 innings. If he continues, sure he will top the list. 

Bundy - eh, sadly I think there isn’t much value there at the moment. He has been pretty bad for almost 2 years. Of course, Houston could grab him and show him how to put chicken grease on the ball.

3 minutes ago, canonfaz said:

I would to, but unless he's lights out until the deadline, we're not getting much more. I doubt we would even pay him his ARB2 money next year if we don't trade him. Hopefully we can get a top 100 guy for him, but that's not where my expectations are. That's what I'd be asking for though to start with.

Many players fall between the #100 prospect and the Red Sox's #20.

39 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think if Cashner keeps pitching the way he has he will have higher trade value than Mancini.  Good starting pitching is harder to acquire than DH types. 

Mancini has the years of control, though, and is an every day impact bat. A playoff team might get 10 starts out of Cashner. If someone has a hole in their lineup where a young .900+ OPS 1B/DH/RF-in-an-emergency guy can go every single day, I think that has more value at the deadline.

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Mancini has the years of control, though, and is an every day impact bat. A playoff team might get 10 starts out of Cashner. If someone has a hole in their lineup where a young .900+ OPS 1B/DH/RF-in-an-emergency guy can go every single day, I think that has more value at the deadline.

I like Mancini as much as the next guy, but I think it's premature to pencil him in for a .900 OPS. I do believe he will be fairly valuable at the deadline.