Austin Hays 2019

Frobby

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Too late IMO.

He is putting up a higher OPS in more at bats than Anthony Santander was when he was promoted to Baltimore.

No reason for him not to get his feet wet.  He's going to spend most of the next year in the bigs regardless as long as he can stay healthy.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/27/2019 at 12:21 AM, NCRaven said:

I we have Stewart in left, Hays center, and Santander in right, will that be the first time this year we actually had three outfielders playing in the outfield?  Whoa!  Novel concept.

We have the inverse problem at SS and First Base--decent fielders who can't hit. The roster is so poorly constructed, it's truly remarkable that we're doing better--and are more fun to follow--than last season.

5 hours ago, LA2 said:

Plus we have the inverse problem at SS and First Base--decent fielders who can't hit. The roster is so poorly constructed, it's truly remarkable that we're doing better--and are more fun to follow--than last season.

The value of a team that hasn’t given up.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

The value of a team that hasn’t given up.

Yes, it may even be the daily inspiration for Hyde to keep going despite being driven crazy (privately) by an unwieldy roster (lack of starting pitchers, no closer, no centerfielder, the Davis debacle, etc.).

I am curious: Have we set a record for either number of different SPs or shortest average time on active roster of SPs?

Elias could go either way on the promotion of Hays and Williams.   It could be both, one or neither.   It is probably the most interesting of the call up decisions.   Wilkerson missing that fly ball the other day could influence him.  

Shepherd to the rotation is the second most interesting to me.

9 hours ago, ChuckS said:

He is putting up a higher OPS in more at bats than Anthony Santander was when he was promoted to Baltimore.

No reason for him not to get his feet wet.  He's going to spend most of the next year in the bigs regardless as long as he can stay healthy.  

I think we can only play so many guys in September on a regular basis.    I’d send Hays home.   

The comparison with Santander isn’t a good one.   Santander didn’t really deserve a call-up.   He got one due to injuries to other players, and then he took advantage of it.   But the O’s needed another OF at the time, and their options were limited.    They don’t need another OF right now.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think we can only play so many guys in September on a regular basis.    I’d send Hays home.   

The comparison with Santander isn’t a good one.   Santander didn’t really deserve a call-up.   He got one due to injuries to other players, and then he took advantage of it.   But the O’s needed another OF at the time, and their options were limited.    They don’t need another OF right now.  

Who do we need to play in the OF over Santander, Stewart, and Hays? We have Stevie Wilkerson playing in center everyday right now. 

I’m interested in evaluating potential future pieces. Placeholders like Wilkerson, Peterson, and Smith Jr. need not get in the way. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Who do we need to play in the OF over Santander, Stewart, and Hays? We have Stevie Wilkerson playing in center everyday right now. 

I’m interested in evaluating potential future pieces. Placeholders like Wilkerson, Peterson, and Smith Jr. need not get in the way. 

There's certainly no point in seeing more of Wilkerson and Smith in the OF.  There's room for Hayes.  The only question I'd have in using him is if they think he'd be better served by getting rest - maybe they'd have a concern about him staying healthy.   

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

There's certainly no point in seeing more of Wilkerson and Smith in the OF.  There's room for Hayes.  The only question I'd have in using him is if they think he'd be better served by getting rest - maybe they'd have a concern about him staying healthy.   

Looks like rest for Hays: