Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Last year no Rockies starter hit .333 or hit 45 HR.

Using the bb-ref neutralized stats converter, Mancini's 2019 numbers in a '19 Coors context is equivalent to .331/.408/.612, 1.020 OPS, 145 runs, 211 hits, 46 doubles, 43 homers, and 132 RBI.  And the same OPS+ and WAR as he really had.

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Using the bb-ref neutralized stats converter, Mancini's 2019 numbers in a '19 Coors context is equivalent to .331/.408/.612, 1.020 OPS, 145 runs, 211 hits, 46 doubles, 43 homers, and 132 RBI.  And the same OPS+ and WAR as he really had.

Such a crazy place to play baseball.   

10 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I believe it was ESPN that ran an article as a winter meeting primer, where they put one move for each team to make.  The Orioles move was trading Mancini to the Athletics for AJ Puk and Franklyn Barreto.  I could easily get behind a package similar to that- a top 50 overall prospect, and a former top prospect who may just need consistent playing time or a change of scenery.  If we trade Mancini, I really want to see a quality piece- particularity a pitcher who is close- to headline the return.  

I just don't see a return like that happening at all, but would love it if it did. Barreto gives us another middle infield option with some upside and plenty of youth as he will just be 24 on opening day. And Puk would offer an interesting arm to watch this year and would, hopefully, form a nice trio with Rodriguez and Hall in a few years.

Overall, I'm in the don't trade Mancini camp because I think the return would be a guy that would rank somewhere in the 8-12 range in our system and another 30-40 range prospect or two. I don't think that return is enough to move him. If the return nets a top-100 type talent as the headliner, I'm onboard.

4 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I just don't see a return like that happening at all, but would love it if it did. Barreto gives us another middle infield option with some upside and plenty of youth as he will just be 24 on opening day. And Puk would offer an interesting arm to watch this year and would, hopefully, form a nice trio with Rodriguez and Hall in a few years.

Overall, I'm in the don't trade Mancini camp because I think the return would be a guy that would rank somewhere in the 8-12 range in our system and another 30-40 range prospect or two. I don't think that return is enough to move him. If the return nets a top-100 type talent as the headliner, I'm onboard.

The As also seem like a strange fit to me since they already have Khris Davis on their roster. I can't imagine any team committing to playing Mancini 162 games in the field. 

17 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

A year or two ago some BP feature writer had fun killing time in the offseason translating Trout seasons to pre-humidor Coors - one or two of them got awfully close to 200 runs scored.

For Mancini as Castellanos/Ozuna proxy, I hadn't realized how cash strapped the Cubs notionally are, but they were highlighted as in the same boat as the Mookie-dangling Red Sox on MLB's Winter Meetings preview.  Heyman this morning reporting Cubs still like Castellanos but team "needs to do some things first".  So Mancini could become a fit for them.

If we're assuming that Mancini will be traded to a AL team the White Sox seem like the best fit (by far) to me. He'd fill a glaring need for them at DH, where Zack Collins and his .186 batting average are currently penciled in as the starter. They've already spent on Grandal and Abreu  and have been linked to several SPs so they seem to be ready to go all in this season. 

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I mentioned 120 Hrs over 3 seasons and the professionals here said there would be no uptick over this year in Home Runs

19 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The As also seem like a strange fit to me since they already have Khris Davis on their roster. I can't imagine any team committing to playing Mancini 162 games in the field. 

The best thing that could happen for us would be teams falling in love with Castellanos as a FA and some team really over pay for him like the White Sox. Something like 4/60. Something like that would really make Mancini look like an an attractive option. 

Mancini to the Cubs might be the best fit I can see. They need a RH COF bat. They just saw how valuable Castellanos was for them. Their OF isn’t huge, so Mancini’s D wouldn’t kill them. Plus, it appears they are trying to keep paryroll down. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The best thing that could happen for us would be teams falling in love with Castellanos as a FA and some team really over pay for him like the White Sox. Something like 4/60. Something like that would really make Mancini look like an an attractive option. 

Mancini to the Cubs might be the best fit I can see. They need a RH COF bat. They just saw how valuable Castellanos was for them. Their OF isn’t huge, so Mancini’s D wouldn’t kill them. Plus, it appears they are trying to keep paryroll down. 

The Cubs are devolving. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

They might be fine just moving Happ to the OF. With Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, and Baez it seems like already have plenty of pop. If they are interested in Mancini, I would think that Brailyn Marquez might be the high level guy that we're interested in the most. Hard throwing lefthander who can hit triple digits and is only 21 years old. 

4 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Mancini would be a perfect fit for the Yankees, and he's cheap enough that they could still pay Cole.

Where would they play him?They already have Judge, Stanton, Hicks, Frazier and Tauchman. And they're flirting with putting Andjuar in the OF too, once he comes back. I feel like all their offseason moves are going to be pitching related. 

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Where would they play him?They already have Judge, Stanton, Hicks, Frazier and Tauchman. And they're flirting with putting Andjuar in the OF too, once he comes back. I feel like all their offseason moves are going to be pitching related. 

First base. No one has been able to hold on to that job.