Yusniel Diaz activated

Legend_Of_Joey

I thought Hays would already be at Norfolk, so I've been wrong before. I look at Williams as more of an organizational guy than some of the younger guys at Bowie, but maybe the Orioles do have plans for him and Rickard. I didn't think Nichting was very old. Hays has been there and done that at Bowie. It seems like it's time for him to show what he can do in AAA.

14 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I thought Hays would already be at Norfolk, so I've been wrong before. I look at Williams as more of an organizational guy than some of the younger guys at Bowie, but maybe the Orioles do have plans for him and Rickard. I didn't think Nichting was very old. Hays has been there and done that at Bowie. It seems like it's time for him to show what he can do in AAA.

You don't have to be old to be considered an org guy.  Rifaela and Nichting are not prospects and both are already 24.  They will be moved around and benched at the expense of players the organization values getting at bats.  Released if necessary.  Williams too.  Rickard is trending that way.  

I'd rather sit Williams or Rickard than a guy like Nichting, who has done pretty well in three years in the system, but that's just me. If Hays spends three years in Bowie, that doesn't say a lot to me about him being a future starter in Baltimore.

6 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I'd rather sit Williams or Rickard than a guy like Nichting, who has done pretty well in three years in the system, but that's just me. If Hays spends three years in Bowie, that doesn't say a lot to me about him being a future starter in Baltimore.

Hays hasn’t spent three years in Bowie. He’s spent two half seasons there and just started playing games their this season last week. Once he shows some sustained success there, he will be promoted to Norfolk or maybe even Baltimore. He hasn’t done that since 2017. 

What’s the rush aside from you being impatient as a fan? 

14 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

He hasn’t spent three years in Bowie. He’s spent two half seasons there and just started playing games their this season last week. Once he shows some sustained success in there, he will be promoted to Norfolk or maybe even Baltimore. He hasn’t done that since 2017. 

What’s the rush aside from you being impatient as a fan? 

Hasn't done what since 2017?

I think he proved he can hit at AA when he was healthy and he still put up some decent numbers last year when he apparently wasn't 100 percent. I just think it's time to get past Bowie and get some games in at the AAA level after parts of three seasons at Bowie. He is on the 40-man roster, I think, so I think we need to know if he can help.

I guess I am also impatient. I absolutely hate rushing players to the majors, but I think we've seen enough of Hays at AA.

5 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I think he proved he can hit at AA when he was healthy and he still put up some decent numbers last year when he apparently wasn't 100 percent. I just think it's time to get past Bowie and get some games in at the AAA level after parts of three seasons at Bowie. He is on the 40-man roster, I think, so I think we need to know if he can help.

I guess I am also impatient. I absolutely hate rushing players to the majors, but I think we've seen enough of Hays at AA.

When he's putting up an .850 + OPS for another 3 or 4 weeks then I've seen enough.  Right now, he's been there for a week and he did struggle there last year.  Even when he came back from his original injury in 2018 and hit a little better, it was all slugging percentage driven.  

I wouldn't have a problem with him being promoted to Norfolk tomorrow.  It's a more favorable hitting environment there and he likely wouldn't fall on his face, but it's not necessary.  This front office has shown it wants hitters to prove they've mastered a level and sorry,  2017 doesn't count when the most recent data at that level does not show that he's mastered it. 

I like to see our players mastering a level also. He had something like 110 games at Bowie going into the year with 28 homers and 97 RBI. His average dropped last year, but he was still on pace for 25 homers and 80-plus RBI at AA even though he wasn't 100 percent. I think we know he can hit in AA good enough to try AAA pitching. I think he was one of the top 100 prospects in the game based partially on what he did at Bowie before being injured.

It seemed he had earned a move to Norfolk with a decent year last year and a good spring training. I believe some here thought he was ready for the majors already. Like you though, I wanted to see him have another good year in the minors - it's just AAA for me. It's almost like he has to work his way back through the system after being injured with no credit for previous work.

You keep circling back to 2017 and yeah, he doesn't get credit for his 261 at bats there in 2017 when he was mediocre there over 273 at bats in 2018.  If he shows he's that 2017 player again, then promote him to Norfolk.  Make sense?

I think last year was good enough, when you consider the body of work and the spring.

Someone gave me a hard time for saying I like to see all-star level performance in one league before moving up to another league. I think your expectations are even higher. We know Hays can handle AA when he is healthy.

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

I think last year was good enough, when you consider the body of work and the spring.

Someone gave me a hard time for saying I like to see all-star level performance in one league before moving up to another league. I think your expectations are even higher. We know Hays can handle AA when he is healthy.

Then let’s see him do it for a few weeks.