There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

2 minutes ago, weams said:

It's not just out picking folks. It's having the funds to fulfill a plan. So - I'll learn things from watching this. And no one's opinion of the draft will be reality for several years. Bad draft and draft strategies become good one. Good one become awful. 

Have to disagree.  Everyone has funds for the MLB draft.  It's about out-planning, out-scouting and out-drafting your competition.  100%.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Again, he's not the premium talent that Chapman is. When you can trade guys in their walk year knowing full well you're able to beat 25 other teams at the free agency table for that same player, it's definitely an advantage.

I think the return for Ponson could have been strong if they had made the right decisions.

Just now, hoosiers said:

Have to disagree.  Everyone has funds for the MLB draft.  It's about out-planning, out-scouting and out-drafting your competition.  100%.

Have to disagree. Pools have change that from the old days. Having funds to get first round talent in the second or third round can make a huge difference. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

I do too. But those days are done. 

The Yankees made a series of really smart moves with Chapman.  But trading a guy then resigning him isn't a trick they use very often.  I think folks make an overly large deal over it.

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Have to disagree. Pools have change that from the old days. Having funds to get first round talent in the second or third round can make a huge difference. 

If teams are willing to pay the price they can spend as much as they want.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If teams are willing to pay the price they can spend as much as they want.

I mean, theoretically, they COULD give up next years first and second round picks to throw $10 million  (plus another $10 million to MLB) at Al Leiter's kid. But I don't think that is a great idea.

Archived