2019 General Draft Thread

4 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Just about an hour to go 'til draft.  I'm pumped!!  I'm really hoping we pick Rutschman.  Not sure what my reaction will be if not Rutschman.  I really want to trust Elias and Sig.

Adley is talking with his former coach on MLB Network right now. 

Alas, it’s my wife’s birthday, and we will be at dinner with some members of our family when the clock strikes 7.     I have the DVR set to record the first hour and no doubt will take a peek at my phone at some point during dinner.   But I must confess I wish I could camp out in front of my TV for this.   

Living here in NY Metro area  (and I am not raising the bar for this kid to be Mike Piazza ) but when the Mets acquired Piazza it (without a doubt ) changed the whole direction of the franchise in a positive way ! .

Edited by HOF19

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is the thread to discuss the draft as a whole. Please remember to make your comments and information on each Orioles selection in their own threads.

This is really imperative for archiving purposes. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• To Tony’s point about backdoor cutter, here was location of all Povich pitches yesterday.  I would think quite unusual to backdoor so many cutters against RHHs (vs jamming on the hands which he did sporadically) while also predominantly working curveball backdoor as well.  Compare to cutters from other LHPs like Crochet, Cortes, Fried, Tyler Anderson where heatmaps show inside bias.  Povich went there more so with his four seamer.  The other thing to notice is how Povich worked basically all over parts of the zone (compare to Burnes heatmaps where he essentially is never up and away).  It’s only one start, so will be interested to see how pitch mix and location evolves for Povich.
    • Yea. I think what you and most others said was something to the effect of, he can play there if you need him to but you don’t really want him there everyday. In the SSS we saw here last year, I felt that opinion was correct but again, it was a SSS, so I tried not to put more weight in that than what most evaluators were saying. But I do think we all tend to forget, at times, that young players aren’t finished products and if they choose to put the work in, they will get better. This is my stance on Holliday going to SS.  I am not disagreeing with people who doubt his arm or something like that.  Where I disagree is acting like he’s a finished product at age 20. Now, he may very well be because maybe he doesn’t put the time and effort into things that he should and because of it, he won’t reach his defensive ceiling. I just tend to doubt that with that kid.
    • As far as baseball stats go,  EV allowed reaches a significant sample (r >= 0.7) pretty quickly, at around 40 BIP, and stays more or less in that range over quite a long period.  It fluctuates oddly when you go beyond a sample of 40, but it remains fairly close to that 0.7.  There aren't many stats that show better reliability in baseball.
    • Schmidt went down for 4-6 weeks and he had been a solid reliever, but he’s the only one. And Cole starts a rehab assignment today so could be back within two weeks. yay…
    • Also Clarke Schmidt had been having a breakout season and hit the IL with lat strain. Won't throw for 4-6 weeks. Though fitting for their rotation this year, the journeyman they called up has done well in a couple starts since. 
    • Can Orioles player development please get Coby Mayo, Samuel Basallo and Thomas Sosa together for a side by side picture? He's within 9 of Beavers for the Baysox wRC+ lead. I have ragged on John Henry's organization a lot since he prioritized margins over Mookie Betts' legacy, but Roman Anthony near Basallo on the Eastern League's youngest/best filters is looking like a nice player. Anthony and Kyle Teel give Boston an echo of a Gunnar-Adley kind of pair after rookie integration taxes get paid in 2025.    
    • You should try not gaslighting us.    
  • Popular Contributors