2019 General Draft Thread

Hopefully after 1-1 the focus is on pitching. 

Also, totally unrelated but the Diamondbacks have 4 picks in the first round...16, 26, 33, 34. I can’t believe I’m saying it but I think I’d prefer their position in this draft to ours.

This will be interesting.  The Os have had SDs who moved in and out of the very early rounds with guys below slot (perhaps a reach as considered by the industry) in a pre-draft deal - so maybe not an "upside guy" but someone we likely more than the rest of the industry.  I think the Os might do this with one of our second/third picks.  The other second/third pick might be someone at slot (depending how the draft goes).  In this particular scenario, we spend our overslot $ mostly like on our fourth pick, our third rounder, after seeing who is left after tonight.

Different SDs go about this differently, obviously, but I think there is some flipping around with these early picks with some pre-draft underslot guys, guys at slot and then where to spend the overslot $.

7 minutes ago, oriole said:

Also, totally unrelated but the Diamondbacks have 4 picks in the first round...16, 26, 33, 34. I can’t believe I’m saying it but I think I’d prefer their position in this draft to ours.

Sure... I think they have like 10% of the first 75 picks. They also have $3M or so more than the O's to work with. They could move bonuses around to next some high upside talent. 

26 minutes ago, oriole said:

17 minutes ago, GoldGlove21 said:

Sure... I think they have like 10% of the first 75 picks. They also have $3M or so more than the O's to work with. They could move bonuses around to next some high upside talent. 

Per Fangraphs, our picks project to have more value than the DBacks’ picks.   1-1 is an extremely valuable commodity.    However, the DBacks probably have less risk of coming up semi-empty than we do.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Per Fangraphs, our picks project to have more value than the DBacks’ picks.   1-1 is an extremely valuable commodity.    However, the DBacks probably have less risk of coming up semi-empty than we do.  

One thing I have wanted to mention in the draft threads re: us going underslot to go overslot later... I feel like this is the perfect time for us to draft the clear #1 guy.  Our system seems actually pretty healthy from a depth/quantity perspective (as the rankings from the offseason made clear).  Where it could use help is at the top end.  For this reason (and AR appearing to be an absolute stud) I would rather have value concentrated in 1-1 then four back half picks.

38 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Rutschman at #1.  The rest, not sure...just BPA, all day, every day.  Haven't read up on Luke's rankings to have an informed opinion about who we should take with our 2nd and 3rd picks. 

Let's use this thread as a "game thread" for the draft.  Who's with me?

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-draft-order-slot-values-team-bonus-pool-amounts/

1 minute ago, Cy Bundy said:

Witt or Rutschman ... I’ll have to update my OH wishlist for the following picks as they get nearer... a trade up for Priester is the ultimate hope for all O’s fans. 

Song & Nelson are two arms I’d like to see in the system. 

tenor.gif?itemid=13170706

Can Song even go pro?

36 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

This will be interesting.  The Os have had SDs who moved in and out of the very early rounds with guys below slot (perhaps a reach as considered by the industry) in a pre-draft deal - so maybe not an "upside guy" but someone we likely more than the rest of the industry.  I think the Os might do this with one of our second/third picks.  The other second/third pick might be someone at slot (depending how the draft goes).  In this particular scenario, we spend our overslot $ mostly like on our fourth pick, our third rounder, after seeing who is left after tonight.

Different SDs go about this differently, obviously, but I think there is some flipping around with these early picks with some pre-draft underslot guys, guys at slot and then where to spend the overslot $.

I am very interested in how Elias works as a scouting director this season.  It will be his last in the dual roles. I'm interested in watching it unfold. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, weams said:

Can Song even go pro?

He can go pro but he has to report to the Navy in November so he'll be on some sort of unable to report list for a minimum of 2 years, when he can petition to transfer to the Naval Reserve. No one really knows if he can get a waiver or deferral from having to report in November. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/sports/mlb-draft-navy-noah-song.html

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TGO said:

He can go pro but he has to report to the Navy in November so he'll be on some sort of unable to report list for a minimum of 2 years, when he can petition to transfer to the Naval Reserve. No one really knows if he can get a waiver or deferral from having to report in November. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/sports/mlb-draft-navy-noah-song.html

How can you draft that then?