Who are the likely candidates for Aberdeen’s rotation?

Frobby

With Elias having gone fairly light on pitching in the high rounds of the draft, it raises the question of who is likely to be in Aberdeen’s rotation.    Here’s my guess at the candidates (note: I know nothing about these guys’ health):

1.   Jimmy Murphy (24) — an 8th rounder in 2017, Murphy had a 3.53 ERA in 11 starts and 4 relief appearances for Aberdeen last year, but is not on a full season squad.

2.  Willie Rios (23) — a 16th rounder in 2016, Rios had a 5.32 ERA in 12 appearances (9 starts) at Aberdeen last year.

3.  Kevin Magee (23) — a 9th rounder last year, he tossed two games in the GCL before moving up to Aberdeen, where he mostly pitched relief but also started three games, posting a 1.51 ERA overall in the NY-Penn League.

4.   Jake Zebron (19) — an 18th rounder last year, he posted a 2.97 ERA in the GCL in 3 starts and 8 relief appearances.

5.  Leonardo Rodriguez (21) — a Dominican signee, he made the most starts (10) and threw the most innings (47.2) of any of our GCL pitchers last year, posting a 4.34 ERA.

6.   Dallas Litscher (23) — a 10th rounder last year, he started 8 games and had 4 relief appearances in the GCL, posting a 5.00 ERA.

7.   Griffin McLarty (20) — this year’s 8th rounder, he already has thrown 101 innings this year to a 1.87 ERA at the College of Charleston.    My guess is he’ll be lightly used, maybe 25-30 innings.  

8.   Connor Gillispie (21) — our 9th rounder this year, he threw 86 innings in 20 starts for VCU.   He didn’t pitch deep in games and I’d think has a little more left in the tank than McLarty.

9.   Kade Strowd (21) — this year’s 12th pick, he threw 79.2 innings over 15 starts for West Virginia, to a 4.97 ERA.

10.   Dan Hammer (21) — this year’s 13th pick, he threw 66 innings for Pitt, to a 6.55 ERA.

I’ll cut it off there, as Strowd and Hammer appear to me to be more likely candidates for the GCL than Aberdeen.  

One other longshot could be Yeancarlos Lleras, our 2018 6th rounder who got batted around in the GCL (8.31 ERA) but was only 17 years old.  But I expect he’ll repeat the GCL.

Overall, it looks like a weak group.   This team had better hit!

• Upvote 1

It's not a good lineup of pitching prospects, but I think they'll perform well. Magee in particular should dominate short season ball. McClarty and Gillispie are polished performers, the types who do well in the low minors. I hope Zebron makes the rotation, he's probably the most interesting of these guys prospect-wise. 

• Upvote 1

So, the OD starter is Ryan Conroy, who wasn’t even on my list.   He pitched strictly in relief last summer, which is why I hadn’t listed him, but he was a starter throughout his college career.   Last year’s 8th round pick.   

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

So, the OD starter is Ryan Conroy, who wasn’t even on my list.   He pitched strictly in relief last summer, which is why I hadn’t listed him, but he was a starter throughout his college career.   Last year’s 8th round pick.   

He’s pitched 9.2 innings already in 2019, between Delmarva and Frederick. Here’s what I had on my top 50 prospects, didn’t have a trustworthy pro velocity reading. 

• Upvote 1