Elias J2 International Orioles

interloper

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the shirts are more a morale-builder for the signees, and a walking billboard when they wear them signaling that the O’s are in the game. 

Are my expectations “low?”   I don’t know.   I don’t know exactly how one measures success here.   If we saw some kid nobody else liked and signed him for $1 mm, would the fact that we spent $1 mm on a player be a success?

I'm going to have to disagree.  I think most folks have been expecting a signing period that, while active for the O's would be among the bottom of the league.  Elias is acting as if he's done rather better than that and my expectations have been raised.

i would think that he would be downplaying the new period of the O's were.going to be in their customary spot at the bottom of the rankings.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm going to have to disagree.  I think most folks have been expecting a signing period that, while active for the O's would be among the bottom of the league.  Elias is acting as if he's done rather better than that and my expectations have been raised.

i would think that he would be downplaying the new period of the O's were.going to be in their customary spot at the bottom of the rankings.

So, how will you judge this?    As I posted elsewhere (in a lot more detail), in 2017-18 there were 21 players who signed for $1 mm+, 26 who signed for $500-999 k, and 73 who signed for $300-499 k.  And Lord only knows how many below $300 k.   What do you expect to see when July 2 signings are announced?    I’m on record as not expecting anybody in the $500 k+ groups, but hoping for a couple in the $300-499 group, along with a decent number of sub-$300 k guys.   I’d consider that good progress.    Are you expecting more, based on Elias’ statements and the t-shirts?

I should caveat all this by saying that how much they spend on a player or in total may or may not correlate to how well they did in acquiring talent, which we’ll only know then these guys are on the field for a good period of time.   

I'm viewing the t-shirt hype Elias is using as a sign that the O's will be involved as much as they can be involved being they are getting a later start to evaluating the talent that will be signing. I don't think Elias is saying they will be signing the top talent available but he is putting a flag in the ground saying the Orioles have finally arrived on the international scene so take note.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I should caveat all this by saying that how much they spend on a player or in total may or may not correlate to how well they did in acquiring talent, which we’ll only know then these guys are on the field for a good period of time.   

What does this caveat mean?  I only expect the Os to get the same relative value as other team in the talent we sign.  If we do better, great.  If we do worse, then we may need to change things up.

That said, I think there are expectations that we will set a record spend here and perhaps blow by our record spend.  I don't expect any big names - as in top 30, but it would not surprise if there were a late bloomer to the class who was available for big $.  I am expecting a couple of signings (2-4) over $250k at a minimum.  

If ME is raising expectations, then I believe we are talking about maybe a signing or two over $500k and 4+ over $250k.

11 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

What does this caveat mean?  I only expect the Os to get the same relative value as other team in the talent we sign.  If we do better, great.  If we do worse, then we may need to change things up.

That said, I think there are expectations that we will set a record spend here and perhaps blow by our record spend.  I don't expect any big names - as in top 30, but it would not surprise if there were a late bloomer to the class who was available for big $.  I am expecting a couple of signings (2-4) over $250k at a minimum.  

If ME is raising expectations, then I believe we are talking about maybe a signing or two over $500k and 4+ over $250k.

Let’s say we sign a player who we think can be an absolute stud, but the market isn’t very strong for him and we acquire him for $100,000.   That guy turns out to be a very good major league player.    The fact that we didn’t spend $300,000 on a player isn’t very important to me in that scenario.    In the end, whether we had a successful signing period depends on the performance our signees produce, not on what we paid them.   That’s all I’m saying.   

That said, the only thing we can judge on July 2 is how much we spent in total, how much we spent on individual players, how many players we signed and whether any of those players have big reputations with BA, Fangraphs or whoever.   So we will make a preliminary judgment that way.   And my idea of a successful campaign this year, given where we were when this cycle started, would be to sign 2-3 guys in the $300-500 k range and a fair number of guys at lower figures.  Don’t ask me how many, because I don’t know what’s typical.    

2 hours ago, Eddie_Ripken said:

I'm viewing the t-shirt hype Elias is using as a sign that the O's will be involved as much as they can be involved being they are getting a later start to evaluating the talent that will be signing. I don't think Elias is saying they will be signing the top talent available but he is putting a flag in the ground saying the Orioles have finally arrived on the international scene so take note.

Agree.  Im expecting a surprise after previously not expecting much. But we'll see. ME seems to be pumped about it either way.   

29 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I'm in this range of expectation. None of the biggest names that are already committed somewhere, but a good percentage compared to other teams. More than our "fair share" so to speak.

Don't forget ME has been involved in international scouting for years. He is familiar with a lot of these players and they probably with him. I think it's a silly idea, like Frobby said, to base anything on a t-shirt. But I'm with Corn, I don't think Elias would do it (and make it his first official tweet) if there weren't pretty big things in store.