Who will represent us in the All-Star Game?

Aglets

I know there is a little campaign going to try and elect Trey, but that seems a bit unlikely to work to me.  I think our selection will be picked by the manager.

So who will it be?

Top players currently by WAR:

1. Means - 2.3

2. Bundy - 1.2

3. Cashner - 1.1

4. Severino - 1.1

5. Fry - 1.0

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Easier to hide a pitcher on the roster than a first baseman or "outfielder".

There's like 57 people on the All Star roster now.  Whomever the O's rep is he'll spend half the game in Earl's old smoking spot 20' down the tunnel because there's no place to sit.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

There's like 57 people on the All Star roster now.  Whomever the O's rep is he'll spend half the game in Earl's old smoking spot 20' down the tunnel because there's no place to sit.

I'm sure they will bring in folding chairs for everyone.  Not like the game is going to be in Oakland.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, it's going to be Mancini.  I guess Means would be a nice story, but also a prelude to a long thread entitled "The All Star Jinx".

I admit this is still quite possible / likely.   If that happens, I'll be tempted to look into how many times someone has ranked outside of a team's top 5 players in WAR and still made the All Star Team, and how low has it gotten?   etc

Looks like Ty Wigginton finished 11th on the 2010 O's in WAR, heh.   I'm assuming on July 1st he was better but idk.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

I admit this is still quite possible / likely.   If that happens, I'll be tempted to look into how many times someone has ranked outside of a team's top 5 players in WAR and still made the All Star Team, and how low has it gotten?   etc

Looks like Ty Wigginton finished 11th on the 2010 O's in WAR, heh.   I'm assuming on July 1st he was better but idk.

He had a good first half.  He might have been the most worthy when teams were selected, if not it was a near thing.

Despite his setbacks I think Mancini is the face of the rebuild...not the future or piece of the next winning team but a nice player that does some stuff well despite not being all that great. I mean the face of the years of turmoil between the bookends or winning baseball. So anyways, my guess is Mancini.

Just now, oriole said:

Despite his setback I think Mancini is the face of the rebuild...not the future or piece of the next winning team but a nice player that does some stuff well despite not being all that great. I mean the face of the years of turmoil between the bookends or winning baseball. So anyways, my guess is Mancini.

I'm sorry but I don't see the relevance.  The are going to have to pick an Oriole player that fits into the rest of the roster.  I don't think Cora is going to be worried about rewarding the face of the rebuild.

Does Cora still get to pick? I can't recall what the selection process is anymore. But assuming so, does it matter that while Mancini has hit well against the Sox he hasn't hit a homer and has just one RBI? Or does it matter that Means has allowed two runs in 12 innings against Boston?

Archived