Thorne says O's on Tex's list

JTrea81

The O's better hope Tex doesn't seek out Miguel Tejada's perspective on being the centerpiece the O's intend to build around.

Hello apple, meet orange.

AM has a much better handle on rebuilding around Tex than the buffoons that were running the show did when Tejada came here.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure what divergence you're referring to. I'm neither pro-Teixeira nor anti-Teixeira.

I'm just here to say that if Tex, Huff, Scott, and Reimold are fighting for three spots, then Reimold's the odd man out.

The implication is that you throw Reimold back to the minors and go after Tex. I wouldn't do that, because I wouldn't go after Tex in the first place, understanding that there wouldn't be room for Reimold without significant trades in place. I apologize if I assumed you were a Tex-to-Baltimore supporter.

The implication is that you throw Reimold back to the minors and go after Tex. I wouldn't do that, because I wouldn't go after Tex in the first place, understanding that there wouldn't be room for Reimold without significant trades in place. I apologize if I assumed you were a Tex-to-Baltimore supporter.

So you would not go after Tex because Reimold may lose playing time?

Can't get behind that one at all.

So you would not go after Tex because Reimold may lose playing time?

Can't get behind that one at all.

Again, trading Huff while his value is at an all-time high is the most obvious solution here.

We should trade Huff regardless if we get Tex or not.

Again, trading Huff while his value is at an all-time high is the most obvious solution here.

We should trade Huff regardless if we get Tex or not.

Obviously, Huff's trade value isn't at an all-time high. He should have some value. But trading him now really depends on what's being offered and whether the package is greater than his on-field value to the team.

We should shop Huff, regardless. But that doesn't mean we should trade him, regardless.

Hello apple, meet orange.

AM has a much better handle on rebuilding around Tex than the buffoons that were running the show did when Tejada came here.

The script was the same back in 2003.

Only then the buffoon role was played Syd Thrift, and the savior role was played by Flanagan.

Maybe I've got my chronology wrong, but that would just further prove the point: "we're going to do it better than before" is what everyone says. Only some actually accomplish it.

Only then the buffoon role was played Syd Thrift, and the savior role was played by Flanagan.

Maybe I've got my chronology wrong, but that would just further prove the point: "we're going to do it better than before" is what everyone says. Only some actually accomplish it.

The difference is that Tejada (along with Lopez and Raffy) was the beginning of our "new leaf" so to speak. Now, we've already started our "new leaf" and it will have been for a year and a half once Teix becomes a FA. Basically, Tejada was in the first 50 days on the project. Teix will be about 500 days into this project.

That said, if the O's had just freaking signed Vlad and Pudge, we may not even be having this debate. But that's a story for another day..

Obviously, Huff's trade value isn't at an all-time high. He should have some value. But trading him now really depends on what's being offered and whether the package is greater than his on-field value to the team.

We should shop Huff, regardless. But that doesn't mean we should trade him, regardless.

Okay, it's not at an all-time high, his value was proably the highest after 2003. However, I think Huff's value isn't likely to get any higher throughout the rest of his career.

Flanagan and Thrift are not comparable to McPhail. It's not even close.

Tex is going to do what he's going to do but there is no correlation between this rebuilding effort and the one that involved Tejada.

Okay, it's not at an all-time high, his value was proably the highest after 2003. However, I think Huff's value isn't likely to get any higher throughout the rest of his career.

But that's only half the analysis. His return still has to exceed his on-field value.

But that's only half the analysis. His return still has to exceed his on-field value.

Which I think it will. Huff's on field value to us next season likely won't be what it is this season.

We can't demand a package for a 30+HR and .900 OPS player, because in reality, that's not what he is. We should accept a package that is deemed fair in comparison to his career production.

If we turn down a reasonable offer for Huff and he starts playing like the 2005-2007 Huff again next season, we will lokk pretty foolish, IMO.

My overall point is MacPhail might have to be willing to settle for less then a king's ransom for this one.

That is, unless some team decides to employ Bavasi.:D

Flanagan and Thrift are not comparable to McPhail. It's not even close.

Tex is going to do what he's going to do but there is no correlation between this rebuilding effort and the one that involved Tejada.

LOL this is just priceless.

Cub fans like me have already endured MacPhail nickel-and-diming his way through 10 mostly forgettable seasons in Chicago. He did a nice job building the farm system, but the results at the ML level were decidedly underwhelming, especially for a large-market team.

You're either naive or a fool if you've already anointed this guy the savior. His resume is mixed, at best.

And you can spin it any way you want, but rebuilding is still rebuilding. It's nothing if not uncertain. It was when Tejada signed up, and it is now, too. Only the names have changed: Markakis and Jones etc. are the new Riley, Cabrera, Matos, Bigbie, Gibbons, Loewen etc.

LOL this is just priceless.

Cub fans like me have already endured MacPhail nickel-and-diming his way through 10 mostly forgettable seasons in Chicago. He did a nice job building the farm system, but the results at the ML level were decidedly underwhelming, especially for a large-market team.

You're either naive or a fool if you've already anointed this guy the savior. His resume is mixed, at best.

And you can spin it any way you want, but rebuilding is still rebuilding. It's nothing if not uncertain. It was when Tejada signed up, and it is now, too. Only the names have changed: Markakis and Jones etc. are the new Riley, Cabrera, Matos, Bigbie, Gibbons, Loewen etc.

Please tell me where I anointed anyone a savior. And I'm neither naive nor a fool, but thanks for the insult.

Stating that McPhail is light years ahead of Thrift and Flanagan doesn't make him a savior, it makes him competent.

Rebuilding is always uncertain. However, there is a much better chance of success with AM at the helm. And if you can't see that Markakis and Jones are better than Riley et al and that we have more talent in the organization now than we had when Tejada came here then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Please tell me where I anointed anyone a savior. And I'm neither naive nor a fool, but thanks for the insult.

Stating that McPhail is light years ahead of Thrift and Flanagan doesn't make him a savior, it makes him competent.

Rebuilding is always uncertain. However, there is a much better chance of success with AM at the helm. And if you can't see that Markakis and Jones are better than Riley et al and that we have more talent in the organization now than we had when Tejada came here then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Hindsight is 20/20. I'm pretty confident that folks here were just as high on yesteryear's young players and prospects as they are on the current crop.

Despite the protestations, the situation today is far more similar than different to what it was in '03. So is the level of optimism amongst the O's fanbase... if anything it was higher back then, IMO. Many felt that Tejada and co. were going to restore glory to the O's.

Except these guys are good.

Brian Burres is the new Scott McGregor? Luis Hernandez is the new Mark Belanger.

Archived