Lotta moves

weams

52 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Man, people are down on Mullins.

He put up decent numbers in the minors and players have bad years.

I think it’s more a reaction from the demotion. I personally never thought he would be a MLB regular as his splits despite switching hitting are bad. But I think he can be a platoon or reserve OF. I think I even suggested that he stop switch hitting a year or two ago because he’s obviously not good at it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think it’s more a reaction from the demotion. I personally never thought he would be a MLB regular as his splits despite switching hitting are bad. But I think he can be a platoon or reserve OF. I think I even suggested that he stop switch hitting a year or two ago because he’s obviously not good at it.

There are a new set of eyes on him. Under no circumstances is he the Orioles Center Fielder of the future. Full Stop.

1 hour ago, weams said:

There are a new set of eyes on him. Under no circumstances is he the Orioles Center Fielder of the future. Full Stop.

While I agree it is highly unlikely, people tend to over weigh partial or even whole seasons in development especially when they are down years.  He does have some things going for him and if he could be a 20/20 player in MLB he could be an everyday player somewhere.

People also tend to think ththaththat physical skills stay static, such as a weak arm, whereas you could look at Josh Bell or Mancini (totally different archetypes of players mind you) as players who changed their physics to positive results this year.

8 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

While I agree it is highly unlikely, people tend to over weigh partial or even whole seasons in development especially when they are down years.  He does have some things going for him and if he could be a 20/20 player in MLB he could be an everyday player somewhere.

Mullins has four years on his resume of being a B/C prospect.  And one year of an F-.  I don't know what's up with him, but I think it's as likely that the F- is an aberration as it is his new normal.  You can put together a very long list of players who had a dumpster fire of a season and came back to play well.  If the O's release him I'd bet within a year or two he'll be back in the majors somewhere and we'll have the inevitable "why did the stupid Orioles give up on Mullins too soon?" thread.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Japan is said to be about AA level overall. Mullins might be over his head there.

Unless things have changed recently Japan is more like AAA+.  There are dozens of players in Japan who could make a MLB roster.

Korea and Taiwan are more like AA, only AA with as many 33-year-olds as 22.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Mullins has four years on his resume of being a B/C prospect.  And one year of an F-.  I don't know what's up with him, but I think it's as likely that the F- is an aberration as it is his new normal.  You can put together a very long list of players who had a dumpster fire of a season and came back to play well.  If the O's release him I'd bet within a year or two he'll be back in the majors somewhere and we'll have the inevitable "why did the stupid Orioles give up on Mullins too soon?" thread.

I absolutely wouldn’t give up on him this soon.    If next year looks like this one, he can be DFA, but for now I’d keep him and hope he can be salvaged.   He’s a much better player than he’s shown this year.   

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I'm glad the Chris Lee thing is over. He's had a bunch of chances and just isn't good. 

I certainly don't wish ill on the guy, but there were certain names it always seemed like Buck would talk about that just never panned out or we kept waiting on but that never delivered.  Tanner Scott and Chris Lee were at the top of that list, Ofelky Peralta was somewhere down there too.

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I absolutely wouldn’t give up on him this soon.    If next year looks like this one, he can be DFA, but for now I’d keep him and hope he can be salvaged.   He’s a much better player than he’s shown this year.   

Agree. I think it's good they are moving him down to AA. Get some different eyes on him, some different voices, he no longer will have any illusions that he'll be on the ML club this year which is probably good mentally. Just try to salvage something. There's some talent there, he just hit some kind of weird development hiccup. It does happen sometimes. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Agree. I think it's good they are moving him down to AA. Get some different eyes on him, some different voices, he no longer will have any illusions that he'll be on the ML club this year which is probably good mentally. Just try to salvage something. There's some talent there, he just hit some kind of weird development hiccup. It does happen sometimes. 

Mullins (well except for the arm) has the talent to be a fourth outfielder if he can be salvaged. Here's a thought what if the new bouncy balls being used in MLB and AAA caused him to change his approach at the plate and he is trying way to hard to hit home runs. I think it's more likely a long term slump or undiagnosed injury.  

The Orioles need to find a center fielder.  It is clear that they have determined that it isn't going to be Mullins in the near future.  So they activated Austin Hayes and he is clearly going to play everyday at AAA in CF because they think he could possibly help this team sooner.   It makes sense to put Mullins in CF at AA where he can play his main position everyday. 

Archived