Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

MurphDogg

I'm fine with this. For a guy like Andrew Cashner, I'd rather a couple of far out lottery tickets that a scout or two likes than higher level non-prospects. That was the likely alternative others seem to have wanted. Andrew Cashner is not good. His recent run has been great in fortuitous run prevention, but GMs are smart enough to see in the peripherals that this is still Andrew Cashner. The Sox are already talking about how they don't really need him in their rotation for very long. He wasn't bringing back anything impactful. 

• Upvote 3

Regardless of where they are from, international or domestic, I wonder what the % is for 17 year olds who signed, making it to the major leagues as decent, regular players, as opposed to not making the bigs at all,  or making it only as 4A players. Seems like a real shot in the dark unless after all is said and done,  there are some bucks saved here. And we do  not build a farm system up necessarily, by saving bucks;  it takes  getting good flesh and blood talent.      

Just now, Oriole1940 said:

Regardless of where they are from, international or domestic, I wonder what the % is for 17 year olds who signed, making it to the major leagues as decent, regular players, as opposed to not making the bigs at all,  or making it only as 4A players. Seems like a real shot in the dark unless after all is said and done,  there are some bucks saved here. And we do  not build a farm system up necessarily, by saving bucks;  it takes  getting good flesh and blood talent.      

I don't think he took a substantially weaker offer than he could have received elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

Possible, but Rosenthal is already speculating that he’d be an unlikely playoff roster addition if the Sox make it, given the guys they should get back from the IL by then.

I didn’t mean he could contribute in the playoffs. They just need to make em. Cashner can help with that and right now they need help. The opportunity is there for Cashner to be a big factor. Even if they cast him aside. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wonder if the deal was any two names off the DSL roster?

Prado the 17 year old CF, is doing pretty well in his first DSL season. 800 OPS with 3 HR's and 9 SB's and alot of walks. His height is only 6'0 so thats one thing not in his favor, but the Sox entire OF I believe is under 6'0. 

Just now, jabba72 said:

Prado the 17 year old CF, is doing pretty well in his first DSL season. 800 OPS with 3 HR's and 9 SB's and alot of walks. His height is only 6'0 so thats one thing not in his favor, but the Sox entire OF I believe is under 6'0. 

Heck at 17 he might not be done growing, or the measurement might be a year old and he's already taller.

12 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Melewski quotes the BOS Asst GM and he was disappointed that the O's selected these two versus others.

Good find. Glad to see that we weren’t afraid to pick two guys in the DSL instead of taking some low ceiling 3B in AA. These two guys actually have decent numbers too. Prado is arguably having the best season on the his team and playing CF. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is a funny place.  We all go crazy on J2 when Elias signs a bunch of guys just like this.  And then we trade an average ML starter for two guys that are just like J2 types and...all of a sudden it's a big letdown.  

I don’t think it’s a let down at all. Not printing playoff tickets, but I don’t think anyone can evaluate with players so young and without knowing all of the $ exchanged. 

• Upvote 1