Joey Ortiz

DirtyBird

• 1 month later...

Joey Ortiz finishing the season strong. Over his last 8 games, batting .448/.543/.448.

Overall numbers of .245/.347/.271. 2 doubles and 1 home run, his only extra base hits on 224 plate appearances. 29 walks and 37 strikeouts.

Hopefully he is able to get a little stronger as he develops, he just turned 21 on July 14th, will be in the mix for shortstop reps next season at Delmarva along with Henderson and Hernaiz. Supposedly he is the best defensive shortstop of the three but he will need to develop at least gap power to move further up the ladder.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Joey Ortiz finishing the season strong. Over his last 8 games, batting .448/.543/.448.

Overall numbers of .245/.347/.271. 2 doubles and 1 home run, his only extra base hits on 224 plate appearances. 29 walks and 37 strikeouts.

Hopefully he is able to get a little stronger as he develops, he just turned 21 on July 14th, will be in the mix for shortstop reps next season at Delmarva along with Henderson and Hernaiz. Supposedly he is the best defensive shortstop of the three but he will need to develop at least gap power to move further up the ladder.

It's possible, but tough to imagine all three of them being on the Delmarva roster. 

If I had to guess, I think Ortiz is the Delmarva SS and both Henderson and Hernaiz are held back in Aberdeen.  This new regime has not been aggressive with promotions so far or where they start guys. 

10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It's possible, but tough to imagine all three of them being on the Delmarva roster. 

If I had to guess, I think Ortiz is the Delmarva SS and both Henderson and Hernaiz are held back in Aberdeen.  This new regime has not been aggressive with promotions so far or where they start guys. 

I would be pretty surprised if Henderson doesn't make the jump to full season ball with his pedigree and draft position, and Hernaiz outhit and outfielded Henderson from what I have heard. But I guess we will find out next April.

23 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I would be pretty surprised if Henderson doesn't make the jump to full season ball with his pedigree and draft position, and Hernaiz outhit and outfielded Henderson from what I have heard. But I guess we will find out next April.

It will be tough for them to really evaluate those guys as SS (particularly Henderson) if all three are vying for starts at the same position.  I understand you can have a medley between SS, 3B and 2B, but it's not the same. 

The fact that Henderson and Hernaiz are both young for their draft class favors them sticking in short season ball IMO.  To be honest, I'm in favor of seeing them all in Delmarva because I prefer to see our top prospects challenged a little more.  But that's not the way this regime rolls. 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...