Roy Firestone Series (vs. ANGELS, 7/26)

OFFNY

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Yeah, I'm kinda under the assumption that it's gonna be a while. He looked really bad the first time and the team is performing without him. No reason to rush.
    • Well I hope Rubenstein knew that when he purchased the team.  
    • I don’t know. Heading into this season, I said I didn’t feel Gunnar’s defense at SS was so good that we should just assume Holliday doesn’t end up there.    Holliday does need to work on his arm strength and my assumption was always that he would. Now, maybe that assumption is wrong, I don’t know but at his age and time in development and the size of Gunnar, I still felt Holliday at SS and Gunnar at third would be the best total defensive lineup long term.  That doesn’t necessarily mean Holliday would be the better SS but that the combo of the 2 would be the best alignment (this also thinking Gunnar would be GG level at third but not SS) This year, I feel Gunnar has looked similar at SS although OAA likes him a lot more this year than last but stats like UZR and UZR/150 don’t. He is 36th in MLb in DRS and 6th at SS (4th in AL).  I was actually surprised to see his arm is “only” in the 77th percentile.     I can see Gunnar being a high OAA guy because I think his athleticism will simply allow him to make plays most players can’t. I think it’s fair to say that Gunnar is an above average defensive SS but how far above average is he and is he truly an elite defender at SS?  I don’t think so but maybe he can develop into one?  I feel confident he would be at third. I have said for a while that all the defensive alignment stuff will be wrapped around where Holliday and Gunnar end up. For now, it seems obvious Holliday isnt a SS option this year unless an injury occurs.    As to how that could change, I think it depends on Holliday. I still seriously doubt he ends up in CF. It’s not like he would be the first converted SS to end up out there and that’s arguably a more premium position than SS in todays game because of all the FB pitchers but it would still surprise me to see that be the long term move. I also think we are overlooking the Westburg factor here. They may believe, even with the arm not being overly strong, that he is the third baseman of the future.  Saying that, I have never doubted that Mayo could stick at third. I believe he can. I just didn’t believe it would happen here and I still don’t.   I still think he ends primarily at RF and first base.
    • I remember last year against St Louis was incredibly frustrating.  They won the first game 1-0 in a game started by Drew Rom, who we had traded over to them.  Then the second game, the corpse of Adam Wainwright shut us down.  He was throwing junk up there and stymied us for 5 innings.  We won the third 11-5 but we were almost 30 games better than them win wise and I remember thinking 2 out of 3 should be minimum we took all things considered.  Hopefully we pay them back this year with a sweep.  Would like Gibby to have a nice year with a huge blemish due to us in Game 3.  9 runs sounds about right.  
    • Certainly the one who’s putting himself out there the most.   
    • 1. Mayo’s defense at 3B has improved.  Not saying it’s even average but maybe. 2. Mullins slumps are scary and even if he rebounds he’s not here long term. 3. Mateo (I know! I know!) is impersonating a ML hitter, with GG caliber defense and game changing speed.  
    • I think there are some similarities. In this day and age, cops can pretty much lateral to any dept in the country due to shortages everywhere. The guys you work with can be stand-up dudes, it's command staff that usually makes the job suck for its officers, and much like a clubhouse you can have a bad squad. Burnes won't have 30 options during the offseason, I suspect. He probably has 5 or 6 teams who would possibly pay what he's asking for. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now