Would Mike Yastrzemski’s breakout have occurred if he was with the Orioles this year?

Obando

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

But it would only be one thread.  ?

Baby Yaz gets more virtual ink than Justin Turner and Jayson Werth did combined.

Oh, come on.    Turner was with Norfolk/O's in 2010 and did nothing when he went to the Mets.  He didn't have a good season until 2015 with the Dodgers.

Werth was traded by to the Blue Jays in 2000.  He did nothing for them.  They traded him to LA in 2004 where he had a good season.

Yaz went right from the O's to the Giants had immediate success in the PCL and then the Giants.

Huge difference.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Oh, come on.    Turner was with Norfolk/O's in 2010 and did nothing when he went to the Mets.  He didn't have a good season until 2015 with the Dodgers.

Werth was traded by to the Blue Jays in 2000.  He did nothing for them.  They traded him to LA in 2004 were he had a good season.

Yaz went right from the O's to the Giants had immediate success in the PCL and then the Giants.

Huge difference.

You aren't trying to say that his name makes no difference are you?

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Werth was traded by to the Blue Jays in 2000.  He did nothing for them.  They traded him to LA in 2004 were he had a good season.

Huge difference.

At the age of 28/29 all three had their breakout seasons.  That is what is MOST RELEVANT

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Not as it relates to why there has been so much attention on the OH to Yaz.

A poor season from some of the YOUNGER replacement players and the breakout of a NAME RECOGNIZABLE life long MiLB player is why there is the interest. IMO

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I tend to think that while the Yaz name drew the attention nationally,  wildcard is right that his success on the Giants would have drawn about the same level of attention on OH even if his name was Smith.   People are pretty obsessive here about all things relating to the O’s, including you, me, wildcard and many others.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I tend to think that while the Yaz name drew the attention nationally,  wildcard is right that his success on the Giants would have drawn about the same level of attention on OH even if his name was Smith.   People are pretty obsessive here about all things relating to the O’s, including you, me, wildcard and many others.

I disagree.  Obviously folks would have noted player X's performance and some complaining would have taken place but I think his name has ramped things up to some extent.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I disagree.  Obviously folks would have noted player X's performance and some complaining would have taken place but I think his name has ramped things up to some extent.

I’m not saying the effects is zero.   But it’s not other an order of magnitude different.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think I was clear.   Any O's minor leaguer that is traded and immediately does very well with the team he is traded to will get talked about on the OH.  The better they do the more they get talked about.

Davies and Hader have been talking about extensively on the OH.  Their name did not have to be Yastrzemski.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Arrieta had at least shown potential.  Yaz is about as far out of left field as you can get.

I saw Arrieta pitch in Myrtle Beach and he was electric. It seems he was one of the top pitchers at every level - can't believe we let him go so fast.

I don't blame Elias for this (and most here never gave Yaz much of a second thought). You can't whine now. BS was never a "give a guy a shot type of manager"..the player had to have an exceptional MiL career, he'd rather have a veteran with history. Yaz certainly didn't show all that much. 2018, many thought the O's would have a chance with the addition of Cashner and Cobb. The season was lost early, but nobody even entertained the future, the people in charge weren't going to be invited back. So, Elias had an "aging" MiLer that didn't project into 2021 or 2022 and released him. I am glad Yaz is doing well (just like I was glad when Caleb J got a chance after being dedicated and written off by most everybody here). I imagine there are a number of players throughout the league that deserve an extended look. The Giants didn't wave some fairy dust over Yaz. The previous regime would rather invest in Trumbo, Pearce type players.

3 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

I don't blame Elias for this (and most here never gave Yaz much of a second thought). You can't whine now. BS was never a "give a guy a shot type of manager"..the player had to have an exceptional MiL career, he'd rather have a veteran with history. Yaz certainly didn't show all that much. 2018, many thought the O's would have a chance with the addition of Cashner and Cobb. The season was lost early, but nobody even entertained the future, the people in charge weren't going to be invited back. So, Elias had an "aging" MiLer that didn't project into 2021 or 2022 and released him. I am glad Yaz is doing well (just like I was glad when Caleb J got a chance after being dedicated and written off by most everybody here). I imagine there are a number of players throughout the league that deserve an extended look. The Giants didn't wave some fairy dust over Yaz. The previous regime would rather invest in Trumbo, Pearce type players.

I don’t agree.   Yaz was just way down our depth chart.   See the quote from BA on the previous page.    Nobody thought he was a major league piece.    He was behind Hays, Diaz, Stewart, Mullins, McKenna and others on our MiL depth chart.  Even Mason Williams was considered a more valuable short term asset if we needed someone to call up. Simple as that.