Madden signs with Angels for Three Years

HowAboutThat

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

It’s unlikely, of course, but remember that when the Cubs hired Maddon, they opened the position by unceremoniously dumping a guy they’d hired just a year previous, who won 100 games.

so it’s POSSIBLE.

besides, what else we gonna talk about between now and “pitchers & catchers report”?

Rule 5 Draft

18 minutes ago, Philip said:

It’s unlikely, of course, but remember that when the Cubs hired Maddon, they opened the position by unceremoniously dumping a guy they’d hired just a year previous, who won 100 games.

so it’s POSSIBLE.

This didn’t happen.   The Cubs won 73 games the year before Maddon was hired.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I must’ve read the listing wrong, I thought it said that Renteria won 100 games in the previous year, maybe that was his total record, ha ha but the point still remains that they hired a guy with great fanfare and dumped him with no fanfare at all so they could hire joe

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I must’ve read the listing wrong, I thought it said that Renteria won 100 games in the previous year, maybe that was his total record, ha ha but the point still remains that they hired a guy with great fanfare and dumped him with no fanfare at all so they could hire joe

He was a hot commodity at the time.    Maybe not quite as hot now.   In any event, I don’t think we’d make a change now.  

2 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I guess I didn't get it. Doesn't matter. Comment still stands.

Well you see, the O's have a manger in the minors with the first name Buck.  He won manager of the year at AA.  I was suggesting that it was actually possible that he would be next in line as manager.  As far as I know he isn't known for being old school, he just retired from playing a couple years ago.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Well you see, the O's have a manger in the minors with the first name Buck.  He won manager of the year at AA.  I was suggesting that it was actually possible that he would be next in line as manager.  As far as I know he isn't known for being old school, he just retired from playing a couple years ago.

I've also thought Buck Britton is on the short list for next Orioles manager. 

I don't think much of Hyde as a manager. His main qualifications seems to be that he's cheap and extremely grateful to have a managing job. (I guess you could add that he survived the season without going completely bonkers.) In particularly, I don't think he did a good job with pitching changes, even after you cut him lots of slack based on the crappiness of the choices he had, and he should bear some of the responsibility for the widespread and frequent poor fundamentals (baserunning gaffes, failures to cover and back up, throws to the wrong base).

Even if he could be induced to consider managing the Orioles, I don't think Maddon is the right guy for this team. While Maddon's management and the Elias-Maddon relationship might be interesting and on occasion explosive, I doubt the Orioles would want hire Maddon just for the potential entertainment value.

58 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I don't think much of Hyde as a manager. His main qualifications seems to be that he's cheap and extremely grateful to have a managing job. (I guess you could add that he survived the season without going completely bonkers.) In particularly, I don't think he did a good job with pitching changes, even after you cut him lots of slack based on the crappiness of the choices he had, and he should bear some of the responsibility for the widespread and frequent poor fundamentals (baserunning gaffes, failures to cover and back up, throws to the wrong base).

Even if he could be induced to consider managing the Orioles, I don't think Maddon is the right guy for this team. While Maddon's management and the Elias-Maddon relationship might be interesting and on occasion explosive, I doubt the Orioles would want hire Maddon just for the potential entertainment value.

I don't think Hyde is the Wartime Consigliere.