Dan Duquette did pretty well with July 2018 trades

wildcard

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.   We didn’t time these trades well and there’s only so much you’re going to get.   Here’s what the guys we traded were worth during the remaining period of team control after they were traded:

Gausman 1.7 rWAR (but 1.5 of that was after he was waived by the Braves, including 1.3 rWAR after the Reds released him.  For that he was paid $20.2 mm.

Schoop 1.6 rWAR (all of which was after he was released by the Brewers), for which he was paid $10.3 mm.

Machado 2.5 rWAR, for which he was paid  $5.4 mm.

Britton 0.3 rWAR, for which he was paid $4 mm.

O’Day 0.2 rWAR, for which he was paid $12 mm.

So in essence, we gave up 6.3 rWAR and avoided paying $51.9 mm in salary to those players.   In exchange we got:

Villar who provided 6.1 rWAR to us at a cost of $5.7 mm.  

Zimmermann who has provided 0.5 rWAR so far at a cost of about $200 k.  5.6 years of service remaining.

Tate who has been worth 0.2 rWAR so far at a cost of about $400 k.  4.6 years of service remaining.

Kremer who’s been worth -0.5 rWAR at a cost of about $200 k.   5.6 years of service remaining.

Ortiz who was worth -0.4 rWAR for about $100 k.   He’s been released.

Valera who was worth 0.1 rWAR for us at a cost of $100 k.

Carroll, who has been worth -0.9 rWAR at a cost of  $200 k.

Diaz, Bannon and Carmona who are still in the organization.

Pop who was lost in the Rule 5 draft.

Encarnacion, who was released before reaching the majors.

So far, that’s 5.1 rWAR at a cost of about 6.9 mm.

So, if the players remaining in our org never played another game, we’d be down about 1.2 rWAR while saving $45 mm.   But I expect to continue to receive value from Zimmermann and Tate, I think Kremer ends up in the plus column, and I hope we’ll get some value from Diaz one of these days.   I’m not counting on Bannon or Carmona for anything and if we released Carroll tomorrow I’d be fine with it, though he’s pitched well at Norfolk recently.

Overall, I’m not turning cartwheels, but the return wasn’t awful considering the circumstances   

This is exactly the thought process that I was going through. Thanks for finding the numbers. I bet that this is how Elias and Co. look at it as well.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.   We didn’t time these trades well and there’s only so much you’re going to get.   Here’s what the guys we traded were worth during the remaining period of team control after they were traded:

Gausman 1.7 rWAR (but 1.5 of that was after he was waived by the Braves, including 1.3 rWAR after the Reds released him.  For that he was paid $20.2 mm.

Schoop 1.6 rWAR (all of which was after he was released by the Brewers), for which he was paid $10.3 mm.

Machado 2.5 rWAR, for which he was paid  $5.4 mm.

Britton 0.3 rWAR, for which he was paid $4 mm.

O’Day 0.2 rWAR, for which he was paid $12 mm.

So in essence, we gave up 6.3 rWAR and avoided paying $51.9 mm in salary to those players.   In exchange we got:

Villar who provided 6.1 rWAR to us at a cost of $5.7 mm.  

Zimmermann who has provided 0.5 rWAR so far at a cost of about $200 k.  5.6 years of service remaining.

Tate who has been worth 0.2 rWAR so far at a cost of about $400 k.  4.6 years of service remaining.

Kremer who’s been worth -0.5 rWAR at a cost of about $200 k.   5.6 years of service remaining.

Ortiz who was worth -0.4 rWAR for about $100 k.   He’s been released.

Valera who was worth 0.1 rWAR for us at a cost of $100 k.

Carroll, who has been worth -0.9 rWAR at a cost of  $200 k.

Diaz, Bannon and Carmona who are still in the organization.

Pop who was lost in the Rule 5 draft.

Encarnacion, who was released before reaching the majors.

So far, that’s 5.1 rWAR at a cost of about 6.9 mm.

So, if the players remaining in our org never played another game, we’d be down about 1.2 rWAR while saving $45 mm.   But I expect to continue to receive value from Zimmermann and Tate, I think Kremer ends up in the plus column, and I hope we’ll get some value from Diaz one of these days.   I’m not counting on Bannon or Carmona for anything and if we released Carroll tomorrow I’d be fine with it, though he’s pitched well at Norfolk recently.

Overall, I’m not turning cartwheels, but the return wasn’t awful considering the circumstances   

Please stop using facts when irrational thoughts and rants are trying to take over!

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Kremer pitched well last year, that helped the team.  He has potential to be decent and wasn’t bad in his last start.

Tate has shown flashes at times and has helped the team.

Zimmerman is currently helping the team.

So no, it’s not undeniable.  

Yes Upon further reflection I guess we would have to agree that it has not been a zero. Tate? It it is an open question whether he will even survive the season. Kremer is trending down. If he doesn’t fix whatever ails him, the Down will continue. But yes I still have hope for Zimmerman and I think he will eventually be a meaningful producer, so point to you.

However, it is relatively easy to do better than “nothing” and even if we grant that Dan did so, it’s not much of a Laurel wreath.

• Upvote 1

I’ve been pretty down on these trades but to take a step back and look at them realistically here’s what I think,

Machado Trade - I’d rather have Diaz and Kremer than a comp pick. Diaz’s injuries have really soured everyone. Sucks we lost Pop in the Rule 5. 

Britton Trade - Britton was coming off a serious injury and was making a big salary. $12mm to be exact. So he pretty much had a one team market. 

Gausman Trade - Gausman just didn’t have the track record that Archer had and we attached a lot of O’day and salary to him. PITT gave up Meadows, Glasnow, and Baz. Maybe if we don’t attach O’day then maybe we couldn’t gotten Baz straight up for him. 

Schoop Trade - We actually won this one with getting Villar back. It’s just a shame Villar had the August of a career instead of it being July, and we could’ve dealt him. 

Overall, it’s just been some bad luck and we went with dumping salary vs acquiring talent. DD gets an A+ for dumping salary.