Dan Duquette did pretty well with July 2018 trades

wildcard

6 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think if somebody actually offered this to Elias, he would have taken the offer.

I believe, the offers if any, came in on the low side, and Elias chose to keep him.

I have nothing concrete to base this on, just keyboard GMing. :)

He definitely didn’t get that offer at the deadline, but Villar did have a huge 2nd half. Also, there should be a lot more teams thinking they can compete in the offseason versus the few at the deadline. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

I think that would be a return with out the money baggage. Maybe. With it? No way. He is not net valuable. 

On a one year deal he’s really low risk. Even at $9 million. Whether people want to harp on his SS defense or not, the fact is for one year he would be fine. 

What are the other Middle IF options available this offseason?  I’m not saying we’re going to get some huge package for Villar, but I think we’ll get a decent/good return. 

Teams are being really tight with their prospects, so a “good” return is likely 2 top org 30 prospects in the lower minors with high upside. 

Would a “contender” rather have Villar on a one year deal or Didi on a multi year deal?  

Just off the top of my head here are some potential fits,

NYY - SS if they don’t bring back Didi

Oak - 2B if they want to move on from Profar

Cinncy - SS if they don’t bring back Isglesias

Clev - 2B Kipnis replacement

Bos - 2B Pedroia might be done. Holt FA. 

Cubs - SS/2B Villar buys them a year with Hoerner in the minors, and gives them a table setter. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I think it's safe to assume they won't trade for Gerardo Parra and sign Travis Snider, etc. 

Straily should have been wildly better than he was, that's a pretty weird one. 

Right. Straily and Karns didn’t work out, but were logical transactions. There’s no need to list all the transactions under the previous regime that were badly thought out, illogical, and expensive.

We will have some trades/FA signings fail, but they won’t be stupid.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Right. Straily and Karns didn’t work out, but were logical transactions. There’s no need to list all the transactions under the previous regime that were badly thought out, illogical, and expensive.

We will have some trades/FA signings fail, but they won’t be stupid.

I hope so but bad deals happen and everyone has some sort of blindspot that can show up.  I don't think it is fair to Elias to just assume he won't make a mistake of this nature if he's here long enough.

47 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He definitely didn’t get that offer at the deadline, but Villar did have a huge 2nd half. Also, there should be a lot more teams thinking they can compete in the offseason versus the few at the deadline. 

On a one year deal he’s really low risk. Even at $9 million. Whether people want to harp on his SS defense or not, the fact is for one year he would be fine. 

What are the other Middle IF options available this offseason?  I’m not saying we’re going to get some huge package for Villar, but I think we’ll get a decent/good return. 

Teams are being really tight with their prospects, so a “good” return is likely 2 top org 30 prospects in the lower minors with high upside. 

Would a “contender” rather have Villar on a one year deal or Didi on a multi year deal?  

Just off the top of my head here are some potential fits,

NYY - SS if they don’t bring back Didi

Oak - 2B if they want to move on from Profar

Cinncy - SS if they don’t bring back Isglesias

Clev - 2B Kipnis replacement

Bos - 2B Pedroia might be done. Holt FA. 

Cubs - SS/2B Villar buys them a year with Hoerner in the minors, and gives them a table setter. 

I'll buy all of the potential suitors you listed save for the Yankees. I think it's Didi or bust for them at SS. With D.J. LeMahieu having a big year and Gleybar Torres more than capable at SS those two could be the primary options up the middle. Tyler Wade isn't great, but he and Thairo Estrada are options as back-ups. Plus, with Miguel Andujar coming back and Gio Urshela's breakout year, we could see Urshela get some chances elsewhere in the infield.

3 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I'll buy all of the potential suitors you listed save for the Yankees. I think it's Didi or bust for them at SS. With D.J. LeMahieu having a big year and Gleybar Torres more than capable at SS those two could be the primary options up the middle. Tyler Wade isn't great, but he and Thairo Estrada are options as back-ups. Plus, with Miguel Andujar coming back and Gio Urshela's breakout year, we could see Urshela get some chances elsewhere in the infield.

I'd rule out Cleveland.  I don't see them spending for Villar.

On 10/7/2019 at 12:18 PM, TonySoprano said:

Only Britton is still with the team to which he was traded, so, from that standpoint, the O's "won."   I'm sure it was discussed a while back what if Manny was dealt the prior offseason?   Could Dan have obtained more, at the time?  Who knows what else was offered for any of them in July?

O’Day has pitched in three playoff games for the Braves.

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I think he did a good job with the 2018 trade deadline deals he made.  I think he failed hard at the pre 2018 season trades he didnt make.

We have no idea of the circumstances involving his pre 2018 activities, considering the boys hadn't taken over yet, and King Peter was in charge.

On 10/9/2019 at 12:48 PM, Redskins Rick said:

We have no idea of the circumstances involving his pre 2018 activities, considering the boys hadn't taken over yet, and King Peter was in charge.

I don’t think we really know exactly when that transition occurred.   Peter hasn’t been seen or quoted in a few years now.   What’s been going on behind the scenes is unclear.   

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think we really know exactly when that transition occurred.   Peter hasn’t been seen or quoted in a few years now.   What’s been going on behind the scenes is unclear.   

I’d say Brady and Buck had more say than Peter Angelos since after the Davis deal. Which Peter clearly orchestrated overruling his GM. 

On 10/14/2019 at 8:18 AM, Frobby said:

No, but, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see a culture change, between allowing a fire sale, and testing international waters. Which Daddy was greatly opposed to.

15 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

No, but, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see a culture change, between allowing a fire sale, and testing international waters. Which Daddy was greatly opposed to.

I’m going to separate those two things.    The fire sale came at a point where the team had completely collapsed and there was no other rational choice.    I don’t think that reflected a culture change.   In fact, the O’s had a fire sale back in 2000 under circumstances that were a lot less dire, while Peter was clearly in full control.   

The international stuff, I agree seems likely to be the result of the sons taking over control.