As The Ravens Soar Will The Orioles Adjust Their Timeline?

section18

9 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Don't screw up the rebuild by trying to compete with the Ravens by signing Anthony Rendon to a $300M contract. 

Fans don't come out and get excited about wins, they get excited about 30-something-year-olds telling the media and their younger teammates engaging stories about that year the Nats won the Series.  That's why The Ray Knight Orioles were everyone's favorite Orioles of all time.

12 hours ago, section18 said:

As the Ravens continue to improve and add key players to their team they appear to be inching towards another Super Bowl run.  They may be the best team in the NFL with only San Francisco, Houston and Seattle close to matching them. 

Should Elias and Orioles ownership speed their timeline and start adding some pieces that can turn their losing ways around. I'm not talking about expensive free agents but a few easy to sign to one or two year deal players like Mike Moustakas with 35 HR'S who played on another one year contract last year for I believe eleven million dollars. Sign him to a two year deal for twenty four million and add another big bat to the lineup and third baseman who won't embarrass  us in the field.

Add another starter like Zack Wheeler or Jake Odorizzi to our rotation. Both 29 and RHP.

Add a middle infielder like Jose Iglesias for SS for probably $3 to 4 million per year and two middle relievers Daniel Hudson and Will Harris and things could improve considerably.

Orioles fans are so use to losing that some key additions to go with our young players being added in 2020 could see us improve to possibly 70 wins that fans would be supportive of I believe.

The Ravens are the talk of the town and everyone is on the Lamar bandwagon.  Will he take us to another Super Bowl?

The Orioles need to keep up and have the money. Will they start to add a few young veterans to their roster and established arms to their pen to start being competitive again?

Why copy the Ravens? NFL top pick in the draft can help a team right away in MLB in can take several years before they come up. I will try to be patient with the O’s and hope for the best.

• Upvote 1

I'd sign Lamar Jackson to play somewhere.  IDK where but with analytics and that spin move we could find a way.

He's on his rookie contract and I know we can offer more guaranteed. 

That would bring the O's closer to the Ravens level as well.  Or the Ravens closer to the O's....  something like that. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it would be incredibly short sighted for the O's to alter their plans to account for the Ravens.

But incredibly entertaining to listen to them lay out their theory and proclaim "it's so crazy it just might work!"

5 hours ago, section18 said:

Good replies but I did not say to sign any expensive free agents. I suggested filling in as Elias suggested on last weeks Hot Stove show the need for an experienced middle infielder (Iglesias), starting pitching (Wheeler or Odorizzi) and relief pitching Hudson and Harris.  None of them will break the bank but will solve his needs. Most of these players will probably get 1 year or 2 year deals. The starters I named may push for 3 years but I would stay away from any requiring more than 2 years since we have a number of young starters moving up soon. 70 wins is obtainable with a few additions. How many games did our pen blow last season.  Givens alone cost us probably 8 or more games and the rest of the pen others. I think most of us would be happy if we reached 70 in 2020.

They tore everything down to the studs, I don't think they could expedite anything at this point even if they wanted. 

2 hours ago, theocean said:

They tore everything down to the studs, I don't think they could expedite anything at this point even if they wanted. 

If were at the studs, adding fancy cabinetry, fixtures and style before adding the walls/floors may not make for a pretty result.

• Upvote 1

The rebuild is about organizational strategy-- implementing the right tools and techniques to improve scouting, drafting, and development within the organization, and streamlining the process to get players from draft day to the majors as efficiently as possible. This requires a great deal of accountability and vision. The aim is to develop a culture of winning that manifests itself from the success of the process. 

Signing Mike Moustakas (for example) doesn't do much but make 2020 seem more bearable and doesn't speed up a rebuild. That's painting a house with a bad foundation. It's lipstick on a pig.

It's evident that the Raven's success is not born out of free-agency as is proposed here; in fact, the Ravens rarely work out of free agency, they have a "next man up" culture, historically draft well, and players that leave the organization rarely have the same success on other teams. Players often talk about the Ravens treating them like family. The Ravens are built to identify talent and promote it to the highest level. It's a model NFL franchise. You could find blemishes if you wanted to, but compare to the things you've seen with the Browns, the Jags, the Chargers, and the Skins (above all else), to name a few.

4 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Why copy the Ravens? NFL top pick in the draft can help a team right away in MLB in can take several years before they come up. I will try to be patient with the O’s and hope for the best.

The NFL top pick in the draft has rarely helped the best teams in the league, Ravens included.

I brought this up because the Orioles have a corporate suite at M & T and I speak to one of their people once in awhile at games and know they enjoy winning and the crowd support they see at games. Does anyone like to lose out there? I doubt it ! I'll have to adjust the players I named because I don't want to lose draft picks. Adding a few short term players until our younger players are ready does not stunt or ruin the rebuild. As to signing Rendon? I never mentioned that and think he's a fool for not accepting the Nat's offer. He obviously has a very high opinion about himself. He wants more than 30 million per year. Moustakas played for 11 million last year. Is Rendon worth triple what MM played for over 6-8 years? Today San Diego withdrew from interest in Strasburg and Cole. Strasburg reportedly wants between 30 and 35 million per year for 6 years. I don't know what he's smoking. They say those numbers will be low for Cole. Come on ! I hope nobody signs them. Let them sit out the start of the season and longer. Not to dump on Chris Davis but they probably look at his contract and think 30 million is cheap.

2 minutes ago, section18 said:

I brought this up because the Orioles have a corporate suite at M & T and I speak to one of their people once in awhile at games and know they enjoy winning and the crowd support they see at games. Does anyone like to lose out there? I doubt it ! Adding a few short term players until our younger players are ready does not stunt or ruin the rebuild. As to signing Rendon? I never mentioned that and think he's a fool for not accepting the Nat's offer. He obviously has a very high opinion about himself. He wants more than 30 million per year. Moustakas played for 11 million last year. Is Rendon worth triple what MM played for over 6-8 years? Today San Diego withdrew from interest in Strasburg and Cole. Strasburg reportedly wants between 30 and 35 million per year for 6 years. I don't know what he's smoking. They say those numbers will be low for Cole. Come on ! I hope nobody signs them. Let them sit out the start of the season and longer. Not to dump on Chris Davis but they probably look at his contract and think 30 million is cheap.

It very possibly does stunt the rebuild, particularly when you are talking about giving pitchers three year deals and will require draft pick compensation.

How does signing players with qualifying offers not stunt the rebuild?