Bundy traded to Angels for Isaac Mattson, Kyle Bradish, Zach Peek, and Kyle Brnovich

MurphDogg

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Exactly, on first look, this isn't the worse deal for a back of the rotation starter who will begin to get expensive.

Bundy gave up a .706 OPS on the road last year.  Maybe a big ballpark (like Anaheim) away from being a TOR.  Or maybe a no. 2.  This would not surprise me playing in the AL West.  Seattle and Oakland also have generous dimensions for pitchers. 

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Bundy gave up a .706 OPS on the road last year.  Maybe a big ballpark (like Anaheim) away from being a TOR.  Or maybe a no. 2.  This would not surprise me playing in the AL West.  Seattle and Oakland also have generous dimensions for pitchers. 

Unless that park is Yellowstone, Bundy is not going to be a TOR or #2 starter on any team. He has to have his A command to get away with a below average straight fastball.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Pretty disgusting read....for one, they curse (which I hate).  And seemingly every other post was a "Jake Arrieta" comment....yeah, good luck...ask the Braves how that Gausman turned into Arrieta!   lol.    And, unlike Arrieta, Bundy is what Bundy is...he is not going to have some Cy Young transformative change.  

His velocity keeps going down.  I mean he could end up being decent in a bigger park but he doesn’t have Arrietas stuff.  

29 minutes ago, weams said:

Because you never get to be a 50. Unless you are a 40 first. 

Well duh, but Tony is talking about FV. Only one of the guys has a projected future value of even 50. One is a 45 and the other two top out at 40. Of course there’s a bit of wiggle room there, but the ceilings are low.

25 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

40 isn't "up and down" guy, it is middle relief.

At Fangraphs yes but here a 40 is the guy who bounces up and down between AAA and the Bigs. Was I mistaken? I thought that was Tony’s “40” but regardless that doesn’t make many hearts go pitter-pat.

11 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Pretty disgusting read....for one, they curse (which I hate).  And seemingly every other post was a "Jake Arrieta" comment....yeah, good luck...ask the Braves how that Gausman turned into Arrieta!   lol.    And, unlike Arrieta, Bundy is what Bundy is...he is not going to have some Cy Young transformative change.  

Do they even watch baseball? I mean, I probably wouldn't watch much baseball either if I lived in Southern California.   

At the end of the day, we traded Bundy for four fringe prospects. Similar to the kind of return we got for Kevin Gausman that everyone was so upset with, including me at the time.  Now it ended up that Gausman was so bad in 2019 with the Braves (after pitching like a no. 2 starter for them after the trade in 18) that they released him.  And Jordan Zimmerman developed into a top 20ish prospect.  I don't think any of us could have seen that coming. 

I would have rather we gave it to the deadline in 2020 because there is always the chance that Bundy ends up pitching like a borderline All-Star and is able to net a much better return from a team desperate for pitching.  Bundy is trending up when you compare his 2018 to 2019.  I think there is a better chance he puts it together this season than any of the prospects we acquired in this trade providing any kind of significant major league value. 

This seems (like the Villar move) to be a money first move rather than maximizing future value.  I don't love it.  But not gonna boycott the team over it either. 

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Unless that park is Yellowstone, Bundy is not going to be a TOR or #2 starter on any team. He has to have his A command to get away with a below average straight fastball.

Fastball ticked up a bit later in the season.  92-93 is better than 89-92.   Maybe he's able to hold that 92-93 velocity more often in 2020.  His secondaries are very good. 

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Fastball ticked up a bit later in the season.  92-93 is better than 89-92.   Maybe he's able to hold that 92-93 velocity more often in 2020.  His secondaries are very good. 

If his velocity ticks down to 88 he probably is out of the league. He has plenty of arm issues.