Adam Jones signs 2-year deal with Orix Buffaloes

MurphDogg

32 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Osaka is a world-class city. Japan is a wonderful country. I wouldn't be surprised to see more veterans ending their careers there, like European soccer players ending their careers in MLS.

I wouldn't mind seeing some high school and college kids going over there too.  Someone needs to wake MLB to globalization and the fact they aren't the only game in town.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, SteveA said:

We're headed for a showdown.   Owners have figured out how to avoid giving average players huge money when they reach free agency, so the bulk of the players' union membership no longer can expect that if they can just be a decent major leaguers they can get 8 digit salaries when they hit free agency.   We have a system where the elite get contracts from $100-$400 million, but the rest of the players are grossly underpaid before arbitration, paid OK during arbitration, and by the time they hit free agency they no longer have elite earning power.   And owners are even more and more non-tendering guys to save a little on the last year or two of arbitration.

In almost all the previous labor showdowns, the environment has been good for the players.   Free agency had allowed for a steady increase of overall payroll from year to year, and lots of union members profited.   Just about every previous labor showdown was about owners trying to take something back, and they were rarely successful in getting much.

This time the union is going to be the ones wanting more, or some sort of fairer distribution of the money.   I'm not sure what tack they will take -- earlier free agency?   Salary floor?   Significant pay raise for pre-arb players?

I'm starting to think it could get ugly.   Then you have the potential of a cable bubble bursting, declining attendance in baseball as well as other sports.   It's a volatile mix and I don't think we can get through it without a labor stoppage.

To your first point, that is how it is in every other sport now, where 2-3 guys account for the entire team's payroll.  To your point of what the union would be wanting, I'd say maybe earlier free agency.  I also think the union needs to wise up and incorporate minor leaguers into it for once in their stupid existence.  They have allowed MLB to capitalize on cheap labor and upset now that MLB is exploiting it.  The union also needs to realize the change from long term lucrative contracts as the second contract and start negotiating for the big contracts or bigger contracts at the onset, more contracts like Brandon Lowe, Scott Kingery, Ronald Acuna, and Eloy Jimenez for example.  I see that as the trend we are headed.  

On 12/17/2019 at 1:27 PM, jarman86 said:

ave allowed MLB to capitalize on cheap labor and upset now that MLB is exploiting it.  The union also needs to realize the change from long term lucrative contracts as the second contract and start negotiating for the big contracts or bigger contracts at the onset, more contracts

On 12/17/2019 at 1:27 PM, jarman86 said:

To your first point, that is how it is in every other sport now, where 2-3 guys account for the entire team's payroll.  To your point of what the union would be wanting, I'd say maybe earlier free agency.  I also think the union needs to wise up and incorporate minor leaguers into it for once in their stupid existence.  They have allowed MLB to capitalize on cheap labor and upset now that MLB is exploiting it.  The union also needs to realize the change from long term lucrative contracts as the second contract and start negotiating for the big contracts or bigger contracts at the onset, more contracts like Brandon Lowe, Scott Kingery, Ronald Acuna, and Eloy Jimenez for example.  I see that as the trend we are headed.  

Don't see how the players union has a case when so many FA contracts end up as a disaster for the team (See Chris Davis). If they want more for younger players and washed up veterans (Adam Jones), then someone needs to create an insurance system against FA disaster contracts that wreck a team finances and competitiveness. Perhaps an account funded equally by ownership and players that would allow the payoff of non performing contracts. This would reduce the risk for small market teams and allow them to be more aggressive with payroll.

On 12/19/2019 at 9:56 AM, webbrick2010 said:

Don't see how the players union has a case when so many FA contracts end up as a disaster for the team (See Chris Davis). If they want more for younger players and washed up veterans (Adam Jones), then someone needs to create an insurance system against FA disaster contracts that wreck a team finances and competitiveness. Perhaps an account funded equally by ownership and players that would allow the payoff of non performing contracts. This would reduce the risk for small market teams and allow them to be more aggressive with payroll.

What do you mean? I'm saying the union needs to go back to taking care of the younger players and stop this stupid "earn your keep" mentality that all professional unions have.  With respect to the NFL, I believe contract spending went down when they capped rookie contracts and made them team controlled 4 years when average career is 3.8.  Same with MLB, they capped bonus spending, and now MLB teams are taking advantage of it.  Teams can have player control after drafting for up to 12 years.  The system heavily favors owners already and there are teams that still do horribly in a system for them. 

It would never happen, but if there was a relegation or some sort of, your team is underperforming, we will have a forced team sale or relocate you, I think would affect the competitiveness and team finance situation.  Large contracts for free agents has a track record of being a disaster as they come after a player has hit their prime.  The whole thing just infuriates me with the player's union.

9 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

What do you mean? I'm saying the union needs to go back to taking care of the younger players and stop this stupid "earn your keep" mentality that all professional unions have.  With respect to the NFL, I believe contract spending went down when they capped rookie contracts and made them team controlled 4 years when average career is 3.8.  Same with MLB, they capped bonus spending, and now MLB teams are taking advantage of it.  Teams can have player control after drafting for up to 12 years.  The system heavily favors owners already and there are teams that still do horribly in a system for them. 

It would never happen, but if there was a relegation or some sort of, your team is underperforming, we will have a forced team sale or relocate you, I think would affect the competitiveness and team finance situation.  Large contracts for free agents has a track record of being a disaster as they come after a player has hit their prime.  The whole thing just infuriates me with the player's union.

Here is the solution.  Make players free agents after 3 years of playing in the major leagues.  1 day  in the big leagues counts a year.  Also you are a free agent 6 years after you were drafted if you haven't played 3 years in the big leagues.  Players will get the contracts they deserve in their prime.    For this you max out contracts at 5 years.  Raise minimum salary to 1 million a year. 

13 minutes ago, atomic said:

Here is the solution.  Make players free agents after 3 years of playing in the major leagues.  1 day  in the big leagues counts a year.  Also you are a free agent 6 years after you were drafted if you haven't played 3 years in the big leagues.  Players will get the contracts they deserve in their prime.    For this you max out contracts at 5 years.  Raise minimum salary to 1 million a year. 

I did not know this.  I thought it was 6 year entry contract and 6 years of team control.  Either way, 9 still puts you right at the prime where a team is paying you scraps. 

2 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

Fair, they never have.  I was thinking of the bonuses for the draft and international signings. 

Adding slots to the draft and the international pool allowances have been to the benefit of the owners, not the younger players.  As is the elimination of major league contracts for draftees.