Iglesias signs with O's

weams

1 hour ago, atomic said:

He didn’t walk much.  His stats are pretty similar to Alberto last season.  Both scored 62 runs and he had 54 RBIs to Albertos 51. Same amount of doubles.  Triples and home runs similar. 3 to 2 and 11 to 12.  20 BB to 16 BB.  

Also only 3 players on Orioles scored more than 62 runs last season and 1 of them is gone.

Not much at all. Last three years were 20,19 and 21 walks per season. High ever was 28 in 2016. Also does not strike out much . Most ever was last year with 70. 

15 hours ago, Philip said:

Ok fair enough. Does that mean that Martin is off to AAA? Or is there a reasonable chance they could both make it?

I think they could both make it. Like I said earlier, I could see Martin being the utility guy which might be his role at the major league level when it's all said an done. Just depends on whether Elias thinks Martin needs to play everyday in AAA or he needs to continue his development against major leauge pitching.

3 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

They are going take Torkelson.

now we know who they arent picking. :) :) :) :)

There are a few different thoughts out there on whom they will pick:

Baseball America decided to undertake that project, piecing together a prediction for the top 10 picks in next year’s draft. With the first selection, the Tigers are anticipated to take Austin Martin of Vanderbilt University.

57 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think Elias/Hyde put a lot of stock in defense up the middle.

I agree Elias/Hyde do value defense up the middle.   Because Wilkerson can backup the outfield plus 2B, 3B and 1B he would be consider a utility player.   Valaika can backup SS/2B/3B.  Also a utility  player.   I think the O's will have room for both.

Valaika is strong defensively at 2B/SS.   Wilkerson has good range at 2B where he played most of the time in the minors.

Always fun to see a guy that was talked about over and over sign with the club.  Certainly not the most exciting player, but a solid defensive SS will be nice to have and it's good to see a little money tossed if/when needed (not that I had my doubts, but clearly many do).

While I don't want to compare to Villar directly, the 2/3 cost savings for the ~1/2 war replacement is fine for a tanking/rebuilding club.  With more value being on the defensive side of things, I do like the idea of our pitchers getting a little more help, considering it's already hard enough pitching in our division without extra outs (whether errors or balls that just weren't cleanly fielded or moved fast enough to turn 2...)

For those of us that watch it should help a bit as well, even if only slightly.

I agree with those saying he won't be traded.  I would be rather surprised if his option isn't picked up next year.  Maybe if a prospect is ready 2021 he could go mid-season, but I doubt both the readiness at this point and the number of suitors lining up for his services.

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think I’d put him at 1-5 (well, maybe 5ish).     Last year he was 7-11 in the various cumulative advanced metrics, mostly 7-8.     But anyway he’s very good.  

The problem is metrics dont really get at the ingenuity and sheer talent of defense.  There are guys at SS you can just tell are operating at a different level.  Simmons, Baez...

Most metrics had Trevor Story in the top 3, and while his range is good, I am not going to say having seen the two play that he is better tha. Any of the two above or iglesias.

• Thanks 1

I kind of like the 2021 option - it lays up for the class of 2022, and next year Oakland Semien is a likely opening as well as perhaps Cleveland if they sell Lindor as poor clubs that still aspire to competitiveness and might have more demand then.  I'd guess the Angels will have the cash to retain Andrelton if they really want.

• Upvote 1